George Kittle extended 5 years 75 million (update it's happening)

49erurtaza

4 hours ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

Kind of what I was thinking. The signing bonus doesn't count against the cap though right? Maybe George's deal is back loaded since he is getting 30 million at signing? I don't really know the ins and outs of how these contracts work though. 

for starters, the signing bonus gets prorated over the life of a contract 

so 30m signing bonus counts 6m against the cap every year

base salary, roster bonuses, work out bonuses etc all count in the year they are paid. 

this would mean if we cut him with 1 year remaining, we would have 6m in dead space. 2 years remaining would be 12m in cap space. sometimes it creates savings though, like if he is supposed to make 10m in base salary in year 5, that would be 16 against the cap, but if we cut him, then the base salary goes away and we have reduced his cap hit by 10m 

His contract isnt on sprotrac or over the cap yet, so I dont know how the contract breaks down. 

ALSO this is another example of why I hate twitter, and I hate communicating through emojis. Michael Silver got an inch worm texted to him. he thought that meant the negotiations were moving slowly, when really they were inching closer. thats absurd lol 

Edited by N4L

So we got him for ~15 mil per year for 5 years?  Hmmmmmm...........I did mention it would really surprise me if Kittle demanded $20 mil and was blasted for tying such high demands to his character. 

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........................

😜

He gets paid and we keep him at a much lower impact salary wise than people thought?! Thank you George!

Image result for  gif george kittle

10 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

So we got him for ~15 mil per year for 5 years?  Hmmmmmm...........I did mention it would really surprise me if Kittle demanded $20 mil and was blasted for tying such high demands to his character. 

😜

He gets paid and we keep him at a much lower impact salary wise than people thought?! Thank you George!

Actually you said you didn't think Kittle wouldnt be the type demand a huge payday because of his high character. I don't recall a dollar amount ever being mentioned.

The rest of us just pointed out that a person's character has nothing to do with maximizing their worth. So if Kittle really felt he was worth WR money, he absolutely could have demanded it.  I'd argue he's more impactful than any WR playing today. So if he did receive 20 mil per, I wouldn't have begrudged him in any way. He absolutely deserves that kind of money. 

Am I thankful that he settled for merely being the highest paid TE?? Absolutely. But no one was predicting he would break the bank. We were all just acknowledging that he's the type of rare talent that could ask for much more and it would be perfectly acceptable.

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

😜

I mean, that's not really how that went down, but sure

40 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Is this 5 years on top of the last year of his rookie deal (so 6 total), or just a straight 5 year extension starting this season?

It appears they added 5 years, his base salary is still 2m this year from what I have seen. 

I haven't checked in a few hours but last I saw the exact details haven't been listed 

Edited by N4L
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, N4L said:

It appears they added 5 years, his base salary is still 2m this year from what I have seen. 

I haven't checked in a few hours but last I saw the exact details haven't been listed 

Everything I have heard says that this is an extension on top of the current year, so he's under contract through 2025. 

I'd wager his salary for this year remains the same, but we started the clock on his signing bonus. 

• Like 1

https://www.nfl.com/news/how-george-kittle-got-paid-the-high-stakes-high-strain-story-behind-a-record-set

On Wednesday, Aug. 12, Bechta and Marathe were closing in on an agreement when each of their phones started blowing up with texts and calls from GMs, agents and others around the league: SI.com's "All 49ers" website had reported that the 49ers and Kittle on Friday would announce a six-year, $94.8 million extension, with $47.4 million guaranteed and a $25 million signing bonus. Both Bechta and Marathe were stunned by the report.

"We both said, 'What the f--- is this?' " Bechta said.

Edited by NcFinest9erFan
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/how-george-kittle-got-paid-the-high-stakes-high-strain-story-behind-a-record-set

On Wednesday, Aug. 12, Bechta and Marathe were closing in on an agreement when each of their phones started blowing up with texts and calls from GMs, agents and others around the league: SI.com's "All 49ers" website had reported that the 49ers and Kittle on Friday would announce a six-year, $94.8 million extension, with $47.4 million guaranteed and a $25 million signing bonus. Both Bechta and Marathe were stunned by the report.

"We both said, 'What the f--- is this?' " Bechta said.

That's Grant Cohn for you. They know he is an idiot. Unfortunately, some fans will not resist click bait....

• Like 3