Raiders sign DL Datone Jones

RaidersAreOne

3 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Just read he’s a Rob Marinelli guy so he might have some sticking power 

Basically was used as a DT with the Cowboys. Have to imagine that roll will stay the same 

Is he really a “Rob Marinelli guy”..... he appeared in 1 game for 5 snaps!

I think that’s a real real stretch

Edit: I stand corrected I didn’t realize he played 4 games with 2 starts for Dallas in ‘17 too.  He played 21,25,36,35 snaps in weeks 14-17.

(everyone can make a mistake!)

Edited by jimkelly02

I’m surprised we haven’t signed Antwaun Woods, a DT who started All 15 and 10 games he’s been active for over the last 2 years under Marinelli in Dallas.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WoodAn02.htm

I have a feeling Datone Jones has a short stay with us.  He showed promise early in his career but hasn’t been good over the last few years.

Subsequently, Jackson Krueger Sports came out with a video that said basically what I’ve been saying: Clowney should be playing 4i/5Tech because he has no outside moves and his game is made for the inside.  Also, I think his long arms would help him even more as a 2 happier versus the shorter arm G’s than it does vs long arm tackles.

I don’t think we’re totally done with the idea of Clowney.... at all.  I think we’re exploring every possible option before we make the decision to spend the money.

2018 week 3 Dallas at Seattle

Snap 1 @ Q1 10:17

Lines up at 1Tech (left shoulder of C), explodes off ball across the C’s body and attacks his right shoulder....wins immediately almost gets sack.... had it not been Wilson and rather a less elusive player (Wilson rolled to right side) it’s have been a quick sack.

snap 2 @ Q1 10:11

Lined up as 1T (left shoulder of C). Explodes into C’s left shoulder, knocks him to his knees.... maintained complete control over the C and filled his gap....play was a run to right side.  Jones easily shed C and pursued after Maintaining full control of his gap responsibility.

Snap 3 @ Q1 @ 5:53

Lined up as 1Tech (right shoulder of C)

Play was a hot mess... got penetration but he tripped or was tripped and also a little

Push in the back by the G on an outside run. A flag could/ (maybe should) have been thrown.

Snap 4

Q2 11:40 2nd/6y

Lined up as 1T (centers right shoulder).... nothing really happened... held ground then G doubled and he got pushed back a tab.... but plugged his whole despite getting turned.... wasn’t a win wasn’t a major loss

Snap 5 , Q2 @ 5:21

1T (c right shoulder) 1st/10y

Doubled at first (C+RG) but G rolled off... at that point he was able to regain power and work his way down the line and get involved in tackle.

Snap 6 , Q2 4:51 2nd/5

Lined up as 3T.... got pushed back and spun around so his back was to the pile as it came his way (inside run)

DIDNT PLAY IN 2ND HALF

That’s his only game since ‘18 and only game under Marinelli.

He basically was subbed in for Antwan Woods.  Only played “run downs”.

btw off that one game Byron Jones showed why he’s worth the money.... he was killing it.

If Dallas cuts Tyrone Crawford cuz of his cap number and potential savings he’d definitely be worth signing.

Edited by jimkelly02

4 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

2017 with the Cowboys was when he got some snaps in 2018 it was just the one game. 

Yes, I corrected myself at the same time you were typing this.

but it’s more of a “he played under Marinelli” than “he’s a Marinelli guy”.  Not that I’m trying to correct you.... at all... I made a mistake and corrected myself actually lol.... I’m just saying i don’t see that as being a relationship that guarantees his roster spot.  It didn’t in ‘19.... in fact they didn’t resign him and he went elsewhere (Jax?) before getting cut.

interestingly.... he was a drafted as a 5T but in that 40yd dash video they discuss his use as a 1T for 1 game in college..... and he seems like he played 1T for Dallas.

Edited by jimkelly02
  • Like 1

Definition of a "what could've been" guy as far as his draft profile goes.

That being said, maybe he pulls a Dion Jordan and rebounds into a decent spot guy. We've had decent luck with guys who were almost afterthoughts lately. If so, it could give us some depth at a position of need. Best of luck to him.