Cowboys Sign DE - Everson Griffen!

Matts4313

5 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Yes.  He has had a good career with us.  He had a down year when he was affected by a mental issue, but he got that handled and bounced back nicely.  At this point, he is getting up there in age a little bit, but he should still be a productive player for you guys.  I was hoping we would resign him.  Congratulations on getting him, Matts!

Hell, we all got mental issues to a degree LMAO.

• Like 1

Kinda goes without saying but man, it's remarkable to see the FO finally making the kind of moves you hope to see from a team with a pretty clear, defined window.

Age of the DL looks like an issue on paper, but Griffen seems like someone whose game will age/is aging well. You watch him play and his technique is just masterful- he's got that old man strength and guile to whip young, inexperienced OTs, of which he should several this year between Solder opting out, Peters moving to RG and Williams finally getting traded.

13 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Kinda goes without saying but man, it's remarkable to see the FO finally making the kind of moves you hope to see from a team with a pretty clear, defined window.

Age of the DL looks like an issue on paper, but Griffen seems like someone whose game will age/is aging well. You watch him play and his technique is just masterful- he's got that old man strength and guile to whip young, inexperienced OTs, of which he should several this year between Solder opting out, Peters moving to RG and Williams finally getting traded.

Age is fine. We have young guys to learn behind vets on rentals.

18 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Age of the DL looks like an issue on paper, but Griffen seems like someone whose game will age/is aging well. You watch him play and his technique is just masterful- he's got that old man strength and guile to whip young

Yeah... that is the main reason I disliked this move for us. I worry about Dillard versus guys like Griffin, especially this year.

I know Brooks and Kelce have said Dillard put on like 20 lbs and increased his lift numbers quite a bit, but I'll believe it when I see it.

16 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Age is fine. We have young guys to learn behind vets on rentals.

I'm pretty out on Hill, like the rest but they're not terribly proven. There's warm bodies there for sure, though. Crawford and Woods are good fallbacks. Aldon, I'm not expecting much from, but I do think he can at least contribute a little.

10 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Yeah... that is the main reason I disliked this move for us. I worry about Dillard versus guys like Griffin, especially this year.

I know Brooks and Kelce have said Dillard put on like 20 lbs and increased his lift numbers quite a bit, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Yeah I mean this kind of thing gets said about players at every position in every offseason, only sometimes they're losing weight instead of gaining it. It's not just pure strength either, in the clips I was watching Griffen was getting guys with crazy hand technique, rushing with a plan so to speak. He and Lawrence have a lot in common in that respect

33 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

We are more experienced and older on the DL but like they say the older the violin the sweeter the music.  I can see a rotation of DL happening.  In the 4th quarter, the opposing OL is tired, and we bring in some fresh legs.  Fatigue can contribute to mismatches.   Strong DL play can cover up a lot of sins on defense.  An investment like this in the DL will always be welcomed.  You win, and lose, upfront.

4 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

I'm pretty out on Hill, like the rest but they're not terribly proven. There's warm bodies there for sure, though. Crawford and Woods are good fallbacks. Aldon, I'm not expecting much from, but I do think he can at least contribute a little.

I think the signing of Griffen is the best thing for Smith.  Aldon can be brought along slowly if need be.

2 minutes ago, Northland said:

I think the signing of Griffen is the best thing for Smith.  Aldon can be brought along slowly if need be.

Oh, for sure. I mean it's a good thing for the whole defense, guy's been one of the best, most consistent RDEs in football for a while now. I think Crawford figured to play the majority share of our snaps at that position prior to this which is just not the answer.

I haven't given up hope on Gregory yet either. It's wishful thinking, but a midseason reinstatement could be the best thing for both sides. Would allow us to keep both Armstrong and Anae out of camp and replace whoever gets injured/corona'd

27 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Yeah I mean this kind of thing gets said about players at every position in every offseason, only sometimes they're losing weight instead of gaining it. It's not just pure strength either, in the clips I was watching Griffen was getting guys with crazy hand technique, rushing with a plan so to speak. He and Lawrence have a lot in common in that respect

Yeah, they are big DEs with a technically refined game and I know about the offseason hyping of every player that's why I'm in wait and see mode. 

At least Dillard doesn't have to see Griffen until the middle of the season and end of the season when Everson should hopefully be slowing down.

3 hours ago, Northland said:

We are more experienced and older on the DL but like they say the older the violin the sweeter the music.  I can see a rotation of DL happening.  In the 4th quarter, the opposing OL is tired, and we bring in some fresh legs.  Fatigue can contribute to mismatches.   Strong DL play can cover up a lot of sins on defense.  An investment like this in the DL will always be welcomed.  You win, and lose, upfront.

who says that?