Cowboys Sign DE - Everson Griffen!

Matts4313

11 hours ago, resilient part 2 said:

old people 

Wiser, experienced, and cultured individuals use this term lol!  The term is spoken by Retired Texas Ranger Augustus McRae played by Robert Duvall in the mini series Lonesome Dove.  He utters this statement during an interaction with a young lady pertaining to why she should offer her services to him.  I'll leave it to your imaginations as to the services she offers.  It's a classic line from one of my favorite novels and mini series. 

5 hours ago, Northland said:

Wiser, experienced, and cultured individuals use this term lol!  The term is spoken by Retired Texas Ranger Augustus McRae played by Robert Duvall in the mini series Lonesome Dove.  He utters this statement during an interaction with a young lady pertaining to why she should offer her services to him.  I'll leave it to your imaginations as to the services she offers.  It's a classic line from one of my favorite novels and mini series. 

I loved that series.. I must be/getting old..:(

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Northland said:

I've watched it several times.  Never gets old.  The writing and acting are superb.

I may be getting the name wrong, but wasn't that evil Indian named blue duck? Either way I  Still  Remember the horrible  Thing he said to that  Poor kidnapped woman he had..  it l haunted me actually lol...

10 hours ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

I dont understand how you guys are all excited for what will end up being strike football.   Would have preferred Clowney, as hes young enough to possibly result in a high comp pick.  No one is paying Griffen after this year much.  

What has Clowney done to warrant a high comp pick? He’s massively underachieved as a player, and hasn’t proven himself to be worth a large contract. That’s why he’s remained unsigned. Do you honestly believe that a 1-year deal - with any team - would change that? I don’t.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

What has Clowney done to warrant a high comp pick? He’s massively underachieved as a player, and hasn’t proven himself to be worth a large contract. That’s why he’s remained unsigned. Do you honestly believe that a 1-year deal - with any team - would change that? I don’t.

co-signed x 1 million. Clowney is Almost Anthony but with a crapton more name recognition. 

• Like 1

Let's forget Clowney for a second and try comparing Griffen to the guy who actually would've started at RDE for this team prior to his signing.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GrifEv99.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CrawTy00.htm

Everson Griffen has more sacks as a thirty-something than Tyrone Crawford has in his career. He also more sacks (2.5) in his last 4 playoff games than Tyrone Crawford (0) has in all 5 of his.

I think the guy can still play and is a pretty sizable upgrade in one of the clearest black holes in our starting lineup. He could absolutely start all 16 games for us at RDE. What a godsend.

Edited by matt79511

5 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Let's forget Clowney for a second and try comparing Griffen to the guy who actually would've started at RDE for this team prior to his signing.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GrifEv99.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CrawTy00.htm

Everson Griffen has more sacks as a thirty-something than Tyrone Crawford has in his career. He also more sacks (2.5) in his last 4 playoff games than Tyrone Crawford (0) has in all 5 of his.

I think the guy can still play and is a pretty sizable upgrade in one of the clearest black holes in our starting lineup. He could absolutely start all 16 games for us at RDE. What a godsend.

Not just the comparison to Crawford.

Having Griffen allows us to use Crawford more inside and I think more importantly someone to rotate with Aldon Smith.

17 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

Not just the comparison to Crawford.

Having Griffen allows us to use Crawford more inside and I think more importantly someone to rotate with Aldon Smith.

No doubt. I feel much better about Crawford as a rotational bench piece at this point in his career than trying to square peg/round hole him into a starting lineup that feels pretty solidified (RE- Griffen, 1T- Poe, 3T- McCoy, LE- Lawrence). To me only Poe would have a real chance of not starting Week 1 and starting Crawford at NT is even sillier than starting him at RE. $9.1M against the cap is pretty rough for a clear-cut backup, but it is what it is at this point. He's useful depth at least.

I don't think Griffen affects Smith's snap share much per se, I think Aldon was going to be a pure situational piece regardless, but it's a relief to be in a spot now where anything you get from him is a true bonus and you're not actually relying on him. I think 5 sacks or so is the most we can legitimately hope for but I also don't think it's that unrealistic. Our team has done well with that type of left-for-dead reclamation project in the past.

Edited by matt79511