Cowboys Sign DE - Everson Griffen!

Matts4313

I can't get over our good fortune.

• We flip a 6th round pick for Quinn.
  • Get a full year of Really Good production from Quinn. 
  • Will likely get a 3rd (maybe 4th) for said 6th round pick by letting Quinn walk for an absurd contract.
  • We get a BETTER player than Quinn for LESS money and give up no draft picks.
  • And will likely gain another Comp pick for the pleasure.

Happy, happy days.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, matt79511 said:

No doubt. I feel much better about Crawford as a rotational bench piece at this point in his career than trying to square peg/round hole him into a starting lineup that feels pretty solidified (RE- Griffen, 1T- Poe, 3T- McCoy, LE- Lawrence). To me only Poe would have a real chance of not starting Week 1 and starting Crawford at NT is even sillier than starting him at RE. $9.1M against the cap is pretty rough for a clear-cut backup, but it is what it is at this point. He's useful depth at least.

I don't think Griffen affects Smith's snap share much per se, I think Aldon was going to be a pure situational piece regardless, but it's a relief to be in a spot now where anything you get from him is a true bonus and you're not actually relying on him. I think 5 sacks or so is the most we can legitimately hope for but I also don't think it's that unrealistic. Our team has done well with that type of left-for-dead reclamation project in the past.

For sure. I think you're right about Smith. This signing allows us not to force Smith to do more. 

I still think Poe starts week 1. Don't see another good NT that will push him.

Passing downs can cause a lot of mismatches.

Lawrence Mccoy Gallimore Smith

Lawrence Mccoy Crawford Smith

Lawrence Mccoy Griffen Smith

18 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

For sure. I think you're right about Smith. This signing allows us not to force Smith to do more. 

I still think Poe starts week 1. Don't see another good NT that will push him.

Passing downs can cause a lot of mismatches.

Lawrence Mccoy Gallimore Smith

Lawrence Mccoy Crawford Smith

Lawrence Mccoy Griffen Smith

I'm kinda skeptical he's still any good, but it's more that he could theoretically start on the PUP list. If so, would have to be Woods to start the year I suppose.

Jaylon mixing in as a blitzer behind those fronts is filthy, too. And while idk how much Aldon has left from a physical standpoint, I do think you can line him up all over the formation in 2- and 3-point stances and kinda see what happens.

And if, major if, Gregory can be reinstated at some point... our DE and WR groupings would be so overwhelming for most teams that you can really dream big this year. I am.

7 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

What has Clowney done to warrant a high comp pick? He’s massively underachieved as a player, and hasn’t proven himself to be worth a large contract. That’s why he’s remained unsigned. Do you honestly believe that a 1-year deal - with any team - would change that? I don’t.

Didnt say he was good. He's young, and wants a big contract, so maybe he'd be motivated for a year, light it up and some sucker gives him a fat contract like Albert Haynesworth.   He could also pull a Robert Quinn and just pass rush every down, and ignore the run game to get his sack numbers up.  

4 hours ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

• Will likely get a 3rd (maybe 4th) for said 6th round pick by letting Quinn walk for an absurd contract.

Happy, happy days.

The rb from GB loved Quinn's production as he averaged 7 Yds per carry to his side.

Is it just me or does signing Griffen feel like Crawford is no longer needed?

Between Griffen, Smith, Armstrong, Adnan and potentially RG, I dont see him getting that much time at end.

He isnt a 1T so now he would be rotating with Mccoy and taking snaps away from Gallimore and Hill.

We could cut him and roll over the cap savings for next year.

1 hour ago, CAPJ said:

Between Griffen, Smith, Armstrong, Adnan and potentially RG, I dont see him getting that much time at end.

He isnt a 1T so now he would be rotating with Mccoy and taking snaps away from Gallimore and Hill.

Crawford wasn’t needed long before the Griffen signing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, plan9misfit said:

Crawford wasn’t needed long before the Griffen signing.

Agreed. I was all for cutting him years ago.

However if the plan was to cut Crawford and hope that Aldon or RG play a full 16 games at RE, I would be a bit worried.

I think having Griffen now gives us that luxury again to let him go.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2020 at 6:39 PM, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

On 8/14/2020 at 6:39 PM, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Happy, happy days.

DON'T JINX IT!!

Edited by resilient part 2

15 hours ago, CAPJ said:

Agreed. I was all for cutting him years ago.

However if the plan was to cut Crawford and hope that Aldon or RG play a full 16 games at RE, I would be a bit worried.

I think having Griffen now gives us that luxury again to let him go.

You BASTARDS jinx it. Crawford will probably START since Mccoy went down. 

Crawford really is the Rasputin of this team

I hope McCoy is okay but if not at least we have someone with experience and chemistry with D-Law, and two recent high draft picks to vie for the backup 3T job. But, man, McCoy seems like a great dude, this ****ing sucks

20 hours ago, CAPJ said:

Scratch that. We need DT depth now