San Antonio Gunslingers (Expansion Team Sim) - Second Season

jrry32

I've been busy, so it's taken some time to get this up. You can see all of my moves here:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=21546337#21546337

Head Coach: John DeFilippo
Offensive Coordinator: Darrell Bevell
Defensive Coordinator: Kris Richard

My current depth chart (excluding the practice squad guys signed to futures deals): 
QB: Jared Goff/Brad Kaaya/Kyle Sloter
HB: DeMarco Murray/Alvin Kamara/Benny Cunningham 
FB: Rhett Ellison 
XWR: Torrey Smith/Roger Lewis 
ZWR: Rishard Matthews/Mike Thomas
SLWR: Eric Decker/Tyler Boyd
TE: Ryan Griffin/George Kittle/Rhett Ellison
LT: J.C. Tretter/Le'Raven Clark/Antonio Garcia
LG: Josh Sitton/Tim Lelito/Tony Bergstrom 
C: Cody Whitehair/Jeremy Zuttah/Tony Bergstrom
RG: Alex Boone/Tim Lelito/Tony Bergstrom 
RT: Le'Raven Clark/Antonio Garcia/Tony Bergstrom

LDE: Matt Ioaniddis/Tyrunn Walker
NT: Bennie Logan/Stevie Tu'ikolovatu/Toby Johnson 
RDE: Derrick Shelby/Jaye Howard/Morgan Fox 
WOLB: Jordan Willis/Ejuan Price 
WILB: Jatavis Brown/Jeremy Cash
SILB: Daryl Smith/Blair Brown/Scooby Wright III 
SOLB: Connor Barwin/Kyler Fackrell 
LCB: Brent Grimes/Joshua Holsey  
RCB: Brandon Carr/KeiVarae Russell 
SLCB: Jalen Mills/Sterling Moore
FS: Jamal Adams/Desmond King 
SS: J.J. Wilcox/Kemal Ishmael 

K: Greg Zuerlein 
P: Kenny Allen 
LS: Justin Drescher 
KR: Benny Cunningham 
PR: Tyler Boyd 

Injured Reserve: OG Forrest Lamp, CB Howard Wilson, DE Ronald Blair (return)

NFI: DT Nick Fairley

Practice Squad:

WR Ish Zamora

OLB Devonte Fields

TE Bucky Hodges

OT Dan Skipper

ILB Paul Dawson

WR DeAndre Smelter

DL Rashaad Coward

OL Cole Toner

HB Jeremy McNichols

DB Antone Exum

Edited by jrry32
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, ny92jefferis said:

jrry what is this?

Seen you and a couple other guys doing this.

Just a expansion sim. It's an individual type deal. I built a team by drafting players using an expansion draft based on an expansion draft thread in NFL Gen a couple years ago (where fans of teams said what players they'd put up).  I then went out and signed FAs during the real life NFL FA by offering contracts before FA started (and during to players who hadn't been signed) and awarding myself players based on me outbidding a NFL team by a certain amount (since its an expansion team). Following that, I drafted players during the NFL Draft with each pick my team had real time as the NFL was picking.

After that, I waited until after the season, and I decided along with a few others how I thought my team would do and gave myself a draft pick based on that W-L record. Then, I repeated the same thing during the off-season (FA and then the Draft). I have been keeping track of my team's salary cap using the sheet you gave me.

It's basically just a way for me to compare my ability to sign FAs and draft players with how the NFL guys do.

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

Just a expansion sim. It's an individual type deal. I built a team by drafting players using an expansion draft based on an expansion draft thread in NFL Gen a couple years ago (where fans of teams said what players they'd put up).  I then went out and signed FAs during the real life NFL FA by offering contracts before FA started (and during to players who hadn't been signed) and awarding myself players based on me outbidding a NFL team by a certain amount (since its an expansion team). Following that, I drafted players during the NFL Draft with each pick my team had real time as the NFL was picking.

After that, I waited until after the season, and I decided along with a few others how I thought my team would do and gave myself a draft pick based on that W-L record. Then, I repeated the same thing during the off-season (FA and then the Draft). I have been keeping track of my team's salary cap using the sheet you gave me.

It's basically just a way for me to compare my ability to sign FAs and draft players with how the NFL guys do.

Cool.  Thanks for sharing.  Now I'm going to have to watch your team develop.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The Gunslingers today have announced that HC Mike Smith has been relieved of his job. Smith helped the Gunslingers to a 6-10 season after struggling last year, but the Franchise is underwhelmed with the way his defense has performed. The team is weighing whether to promote OC John DeFilippo or hire an outsider. The team plans to interview DeFilippo, Panthers DC Steve Wilks, Vikings OC Pat Shurmur, Steelers OL Coach Mike Munchak, Eagles DC Jim Schwartz, and Patriots DC Matt Patricia in the coming days.

DeFilippo, Wilks, and Patricia are said to be the early leaders.

Edited by jrry32
  • Like 1

Since I don't have the opportunity to interview coaches, I'm going to wait a bit and see what the rumored staffs are for the coaches (OC, DC, ST, etc.). Right now, I'm most interested in Patricia, Wilks, and DeFilippo. So I might end up hiring a coach who has already been hired, but I kind of have to do that if I'm going to get the information I need.

Edited by jrry32

Man, I'm really digging that Matt Nagy staff. Hiestand, Fangio, and Nagy are a great trio. I'm interested in seeing Patricia's staff. Right now, I'm also intrigued by the possibility of DeFilippo + Kris Richard.

As it stands now, I'm considering:

HC: Matt Nagy

OC: Mark Helfrich

DC: Vic Fangio

vs.

HC: John DeFilippo

OC: Rick Dennison or Harold Goodwin or Darrell Bevell or ?????

DC: Kris Richard

vs. 

HC: Matt Patricia

OC: ??????

DC: ??????

However, we'll see if any other contenders emerge.

UPDATE (1/14): As it stands now, I'm leaning towards DeFilippo, Bevell, and Richard with Dennison or Tice as the OL Coach. I really like what I've seen of Richard, and I think his scheme fits well with my personnel. Keeping DeFilippo would make me quite happy (I think the world of him), and I would love the continuity for Goff. Bevell and Dennison/Tice would be a nice combo to give DeFilippo two experienced offensive coaches around him.

Edited by jrry32

21 hours ago, Techbert said:

I'd say 6-10 is about right. I originally thought higher, but you still have some weak units.

You definitely hit on some of your picks, and Goff is showing the haters were wrong.

Yea, I think the offense would have done well. Kamara and Goff broke out in major ways. Kittle had a great rookie year. And there is talent on the interior of the OL. Unfortunately, the tackles are a problem, and the WR corp underachieved.

Defensively, I think it would have been a struggle. I think I would have had a good secondary, but my lack of pass rush would have been problematic. With how bad Tampa's defense was under Mike Smith, I think the defense would have performed poorly. However, I have some good pieces at certain spots. There's a core to build around on both sides of the ball. With a good off-season, I might have a playoff team next year (especially if Goff doesn't fall off).

As I evaluate my team going into the off-season, here are the starting positions I feel comfortable with:

QB: Jared Goff

HB: Alvin Kamara

ZWR: Rishard Matthews

TE: George Kittle

OL: Forrest Lamp

OL: J.C. Tretter

OL: Josh Sitton (could be released)

OL: Cody Whitehair

DL: Matt Ioaniddis

DL: Bennie Logan

DL: Ronald Blair (might end up in the rotation as a backup)

LB: Jatavis Brown

CB: Brandon Carr

CB: Jalen Mills

DB: Desmond King

S: Jamal Adams

However, I have high hopes for some guys I didn't mention, such as Antonio Garcia, Blair Brown, and Tyler Boyd.

After doing all the math, my cap rollover amount is $9,348,808. My 2018 total cap hit before any cuts is currently $132,409,700. After cuts, I expect that to drop down to around $100 million. That ought give me a lot of money to spend this off-season. I'm currently compiling my FA list, but I'm going to make a big push this off-season.

Edited by jrry32

My prospective FA list at this point in time (could change depending on what coach I hire):

HB:

Rex Burkhead

Jeremy Hill

WR:

Paul Richardson

Allen Robinson

Jarvis Landry

John Brown

Sammy Watkins

Jordan Matthews

Brice Butler

Donte Moncrief

TE:

Crockett Gillmore

Rhett Ellison

OL:

Justin Pugh

James Hurst

Kenny Wiggins

Matt Slauson

Senio Kelemete

DL:

Ezekiel Ansah

Sheldon Richardson

DeMarcus Lawrence

Aaron Lynch

Beau Allen

LB:

Trent Murphy

Nigel Bradham

Zach Brown

Korey Toomer

Todd Davis

Tahir Whitehead

Preston Brown

Jeremiah Attaochu

Anthony Hitchens

Navorro Bowman

Avery Williamson

Jon Bostic

Demario Davis

CB:

Trumaine Johnson

Malcolm Butler

Prince Amukamara

Kyle Fuller

NRC

Rashaan Melvin

Bashaud Breeland

Steven Terrell

Aaron Colvin

E.J. Gaines

Justin Bethel

S:

LaMarcus Joyner

Eric Reid

Kenny Vaccaro

Morgan Burnett

Tre Boston

Cody Davis

P:

Draft (Michael Dickson, J.K. Scott, or Johnny Townsend)

Edited by jrry32