Ranking the GMs - worst to best

notthatbluestuff

40 minutes ago, DawgX said:

I think Colbert is way too high at #2.

Not really fair to rank first year GMs, IMO. I really like what Andrew Berry did this offseason but it's obviously way too early to say how good or bad he is.

Yeah, that was my problem with his ranking too. As far as I know, preparation for a draft is basically done before January, which is when Berry was hired. How can you rank a guy who hasn't really done anything higher than other guys? Makes no sense to me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Yeah, that was my problem with his ranking too. As far as I know, preparation for a draft is basically done before January, which is when Berry was hired. How can you rank a guy who hasn't really done anything higher than other guys? Makes no sense to me.

Explanation:

I’m probably overrating Berry here based on his background and connection with Paul DePodesta, but he’s said all the right things and has avoided any egregious errors so far. The ceiling is high for the youngest general manager in the history of the league, and I’ll take that over more experienced execs with track records of incompetence. At the very least, Berry seems to understand how to go about building a roster in the modern NFL. Whether he’s able to actually do it remains to be seen.

• 2 weeks later...

These list make no sense. 

Gettleman is underrated.

Pace traded up for Mitch and passed on Mahomes and Watson he's last sorry.

Jon Robinson is severely underrated Pulled ryan tannehill out of a hat got top 6 qb play Derrick henry etc.

Lynch literally had the team suck for years to acquire top 5 assets the dline is sick even with Thomas busting out and Ruben Foster, and that crappy guard they drafted. 

Elway I'm indifferent to that spot think he's borderline top 10 not worth the argument though.

I'd loved to ask the people that think he's overrated at 15 to see what they think of Manning. If John is truly a damn near inept GM he somehow built a superbowl champ under zombie peyton and got to another Superbowl. Almost a third had Raheem Moore not ffed up .

3 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

These list make no sense. 

Gettleman is underrated.

Pace traded up for Mitch and passed on Mahomes and Watson he's last sorry.

Jon Robinson is severely underrated Pulled ryan tannehill out of a hat got top 6 qb play Derrick henry etc.

Lynch literally had the team suck for years to acquire top 5 assets the dline is sick even with Thomas busting out and Ruben Foster, and that crappy guard they drafted. 

If you mean Garnett with that crappy guard that was a Baalke special.

I think Dimitroff is being slept on, tbh. Without injuries decimating the OL and defense in 2018, that team probably wins 3-4 games than they did. Same thing goes for 2019. Talent wasn't the problem. Coaching around injuries was. Before TD got here, the whole Vick/Petrino mess was going on. The fact he cleaned that up alone should put him in the top 10. Cumulative record as a GM for him is pretty amazing too:

109-83 (56.7% win%)

7 winning seasons

6 playoff appearances

2 NFCCG appearances

1 SB appearance

Last 5 years win %: 43-37 with 2 playoff appearances and 1 SB appearance. Not ideal, but when the worst seasons were 7-9 years that were decimated by injuries, I don't think the GM is doing a bad job.

• 3 weeks later...

I cannot stress how YOLO BoB is ranked too high. 32 is generous to him, there are random people on DraftKings who are considerably better than him.

Per the Census, the current US population is estimated at 331,000,000 people - give or take a few. YOLO BoB might rank in the low 300,000,000 if we really dive info the analysis. He literally might be the worst possible person to GM a team, you probably know a few people in your fantasy league who would do a much better job than him.

I don’t know how anyone can be ranked lower than Marty Hurney in Carolina. 

3 playoff appearances in 13(soon to be 14) seasons 2002-2012, 2018-2020. Was fired in 2012 and left a complete cap mess with a team that had gone 23-41 in the previous 4 seasons. From 2013-17, during the 5 years he was gone, the Panthers made the playoffs 4 out of 5 years. And Hurney had to do AM radio because no team would offer him any sort of job. After getting rehired(somehow) the Panthers went from a playoff team to a bottom three roster in 2 years. 

Case closed. Beat that...LOL

Edited by Toomers