TV Hunting: 4K Edition

RavensfanRD

What's good, FF? Looking to buy a new TV and 4K of course. Was wondering what a good budget TV would be? Looking for 55" with HDR and a decent refresh rate, preferably 120Hz. Found this one and was wondering what experts here think? Thanks for the help! Oh, price, looking to spend no more than $500. I's poor I tells ya, haha.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/TCL-55-Class-4K-2160P-HDR-Roku-Smart-LED-TV-55S401/861683284#about-item

Black Friday or go to Best Buy between March and May when they sell off last year's models for half the price.  I got a 60" 4k UHD for $699.  The 2017 models were $1,499.  

As for the one  you linked, I'm skeptical.  It's out of stock, the reviews are not favorable, and I've never even heard of TCL before.  Roku built in?  Meh. 

7 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

I've seen 55" 4k UHD tvs at Walmart for like $500. I think they were Vizios or something. Need to grab one for my man cave.

I got one of those back in May for that price.   Wasnt a cheap brand either....it was a Samsung.   It was $500 marked down from $900 because it was the previous years model and there were only 3 left.

To be honest, I dont know if I like 4K.

Dont get me wrong....football games and my PS4 Pro games look amazing on it.....but CG laden special affects movies look fake.   Its weird.  Ive watched Avengers Age of Ultron on 1080p before and it looked fine....but the other day I watched it on my 4K TV and the CG heavy parts just look....off IMO    And its not just AoU....it looks off with other CG heavy movies as well.

I dont know.   I like the TV otherwise, but Im a little disappointed those movies actually look worse in 4K than better.     And when I say "it looks worse", I mean its looks worse because the picture might be TOO crisp for its own good.  

3 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I got one of those back in May for that price.   Wasnt a cheap brand either....it was a Samsung.   It was $500 marked down from $900 because it was the previous years model and there were only 3 left.

To be honest, I dont know if I like 4K.

Dont get me wrong....football games and my PS4 Pro games look amazing on it.....but CG laden special affects movies look fake.   Its weird.  Ive watched Avengers Age of Ultron on 1080p before and it looked fine....but the other day I watched it on my 4K TV and the CG heavy parts just look....off IMO    And its not just AoU....it looks off with other CG heavy movies as well.

I dont know.   I like the TV otherwise, but Im a little disappointed those movies actually look worse in 4K than better.     And when I say "it looks worse", I mean its looks worse because the picture might be TOO crisp for its own good.  

This.

The picture is so smooth, but special effects in movies are just so noticeable, to the point of looking extremely fake (think special effects in really old movies).

Standard definition DVDs also look quite fuzzy and are relatively poor quality, but blu-rays look awesome. 

Definitely a worthwhile purchase, if a bit underwhelming, but PS4/ sports will look awesome on them. Just don't expect to be amazed if you're watching movies with a lot of special effects. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/9/2017 at 11:09 PM, Mossburg said:

Make sure the TV you buy has Dolby Vision. Most of these that seem really affordable don't, and it makes a big difference.

Yeah, seeing that's the wave. Never realized people responded to this thread. icon_lol.gif

Now I'm torn over the TCL P607 and C807 series. I'm leaning towards the 607 because the review seems better for picture and input lag since I plan to game on the TV. And $50 cheaper. I'm hoping to buy one today/tomorrow. Held out to see what would be on sale or price dropped. Glad I waited. Won't stall for no Black Friday sale and that madness.

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-49-class-48-5-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv/5865001.p?skuId=5865001

Bought this a week ago and wife and I have been really happy with it.  At the time it was $450.  

Nice TV, but I need something with HDR. And optimized refresh rate. I think I've settled on the TCL p607

Archived