What Needs To Go Right Offense

WindyCity

Hoge and Jahns were talking about what the Bears offense needs to happen for them to get better and make a suitable jump.

Some things that need to happen

-OL needs to play at 2018 level and the run game needs to actually be somewhat efficient.

-Kmet being a threat and providing decent blocking would be a huge help to the run game and would give the Bears something that they have not had in 5+ years.

-Ginn or Mooney giving them some speed and a little downfield threat would be big. The lack of speed and the lack of ability to get the ball downfield has been a mess.

-Less Cohen, too much and he becomes inefficient and doesn't catch the defenses off guard.

They need to figure out who they are in the run game and build everything off that. We can't wait 3, 4, 5 weeks and throw random, incoherent schemes at the wall and see what sticks. Will we be predominantly zone? Power? Mix of both? How are we building the passing game / play-action off that?

If we can force defenses to respect the run game (hell, even fear it?) then our pass game will take off. Ginn/Mooney bring legit deep speed, Graham arguably is the best TE we have had on this roster since Martellus Bennett (not saying much), and if Kmet (as you said) can be a threat in both pass and blocking then defenses will not know where to focus their attention.

If I'm Nagy, I am leaning heavy on David Montgomery and building everything off his talent.

Nagy's play-calling needs to change. He needs to be better at adapting to defenses.  Especially in halftime. 

Our open field playmakers need to do a better job at creating yards after the catch instead of going down on the first hit. This has been an issue for the last 2 years -- even in 2018. 

I say this as a former OLmen.

Having a TE that can legitimately block is a huge asset to the run game and the OL in general. It allows you to do so much more when you do not need to hide the TE on the backside.

The Bears have been horrible in terms of blocking at TE. Sims was bad. Shaheen was worse. Burton graded out well, but he was asked to execute WR blocks.

Kmet has the physical tools and has flashed in college to be a good blocker.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I say this as a former OLmen.

Having a TE that can legitimately block is a huge asset to the run game and the OL in general. It allows you to do so much more when you do not need to hide the TE on the backside.

The Bears have been horrible in terms of blocking at TE. Sims was bad. Shaheen was worse. Burton graded out well, but he was asked to execute WR blocks.

Kmet has the physical tools and has flashed in college to be a good blocker.

The TE is basically a 6th OL in a 1 back set.

You can't blast Bears OL without also blasting TEs.  Has mediocre has the OL has been at blocking the TEs have been terrible.  Terrible.  The worst.  

A lot of run plays failed in last 2 years solely because of missed TE blocks on edge players.  A lot.  It only takes 1 missed block to sink a play if the miss is bad enough.  That's 10 guys doing their job and 1 not.  That's football though.  

I have to say Kmet has physical tools and athletic ability, but his blocking technique at ND leaves a lot to be desired.   I am not expecting him to be great out of the blocks at blocking.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, WindyCity said:

If the OL can improve, which I am skeptical of, and Kmet can at least block then we have a safety net for the QB.

We may not be an explosive offense, but they should be able to get more from the QB spot and the run game.

I understand the skepticism of the OL, but this is why I think this offense can be slightly better this year than it was in 2018 because I actually see the OL being more stable with the new staff. The TE postion being better in every aspect with Kmet. The WR position continuing to get better with another year under their belt.  Arob, Miller, Ridley, Cohen, Mooney and Cordelle is very versatile group. 

Bottomline, nobody on offense did their jobs very well last year as a unit. NOBODY. Everyone from the staff to the OL, the QB, the RB's, WR's, TE's.....noone. 

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

The TE is basically a 6th OL in a 1 back set.

You can't blast Bears OL without also blasting TEs.  Has mediocre has the OL has been at blocking the TEs have been terrible.  Terrible.  The worst.  

A lot of run plays failed in last 2 years solely because of missed TE blocks on edge players.  A lot.  It only takes 1 missed block to sink a play if the miss is bad enough.  That's 10 guys doing their job and 1 not.  That's football though.  

I have to say Kmet has physical tools and athletic ability, but his blocking technique at ND leaves a lot to be desired.   I am not expecting him to be great out of the blocks at blocking.

The WR blocking has been horrible too, which is one of the most underrated attributes a WR can have. Especially in a RPO system. 

All of them have missed way too many blocks on outside runs and on bubble screens and flare routes, Robinson included, and it makes it harder for any player who are good in the open space to get extra yardage like Cohen and Miller.

1) Better play calling.  I believe this was the number one reason why our offense was bad last year.  Blame Mitch all you want, he does have flaws, I'm not saying he's perfect, but our play calling was terrible last year.  IMO 20+ runs per game, no more than 30 passes. 

2) Get the TEs more involved in the passing game.  In 2018 Burton was a beast and was a big reason why our offense was good.  We scored 24 points per game.  Last year was 16.  Last year when a TE scored a touchdown and/or had a solid game, we won.