Baker Lost his Confidence last year

Dawgpoun8017

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/Article/Browns-Baker-Mayfield-Says-He-Absolutely-Doubted-Himself-Last-Year-And-Is-In-A-Much-Better-Mental-State-Now-150278531/

Mayfield admitted he “absolutely” doubted himself during the roller coaster of the last two years.

"I wouldn't say it's a poor me situation," Mayfield said. "Having success in high school and college and having standard so high, the last two years have been roller coaster of emotion and not as much success as I'm used to.

"I lost myself not having that success," he said. "I wasn't able to be who I am for the team. You've got to find that belief."

Mayfield said not only is he in much better physical shape, he is in in "a much better mental state" than a year ago.

"I've been able to be myself and able to attack each and every day," Mayfield said on a Zoom call Friday before practice. "Been able to do that and to have the open communication with Coach Stefanski and Alex Van Pelt and the rest of the staff. We know what we're attacking each and every day. It feels a lot better and we're taking it one day at a time."

Jarvis Landry said he's seen a renewed, reinvigorated quarterback.

"He's the leader of our team, will continue to be the leader of our team," Landry said on a Zoom call. "His attitude toward this season is at a heightened level."

Mayfield said he dropped some of the "bad weight" that he was carrying and Andrew Berry said that Mayfield had added four pounds of lean mass. Mayfield admitted he played last season the heaviest of his career.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

He needs a guy he can trust on offense. Hopefully that’s Hooper.

I think if the offense is right, he can trust just about anyone tho. He can trust Landry, OBJ, Hooper, Chubb, and Hunt.

hard to trust anyone last year when you have no idea what is going on and it leads to baker having no confidence in himself. Doesn’t help when you have no confidence in your HC, OC, or QB coach as well. With Stef, it seems like he has gone the extra mile to establish trust. AVP has the resume that Baker can trust 

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

I think if the offense is right, he can trust just about anyone tho. He can trust Landry, OBJ, Hooper, Chubb, and Hunt.

hard to trust anyone last year when you have no idea what is going on and it leads to baker having no confidence in himself. Doesn’t help when you have no confidence in your HC, OC, or QB coach as well. With Stef, it seems like he has gone the extra mile to establish trust. AVP has the resume that Baker can trust 

I think he needs to trust his offensive line more than anything. He was phenomenal at Oklahoma because he has monsters on the o-line blocking for him.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I think he needs to trust his offensive line more than anything. He was phenomenal at Oklahoma because he has monsters on the o-line blocking for him.

And a scheme.

As Mind used to say, he is not transcendent.

The stars have to align for Mayfield to shine.

On 8/14/2020 at 10:34 PM, bruceb said:

And a scheme.

the stars have to align for any QB to shine...

You think Mahomes develops into the QB he is today if Hue Jackson was his first NFL HC?

You think Lamar Jackson develops under a HC who isn’t  willing to devote the offense to the option?

Every QB needs the proper scheme and coaching around them to unlock their best abilities 

Edited by buno67
  • Like 1

On 8/15/2020 at 5:36 AM, DawgX said:

I so hope this season happens so Baker can prove his doubters wrong.

On 8/14/2020 at 7:34 PM, bruceb said:

And a scheme.

Alright, @DawgX, what're we doing here?  What's the vig?  Do I get a cut of your winnings or are you taking a piece of mine?  Either way, what's the sig bet with @bruceb?  He is @askingforit.

• Like 1

I’m a Baker fan , but it’s put up or shut up for Baker this year. A Taylor made scheme for him with a top three in the league skill positions group. 

Needs to be about where he was his rookie year for me to feel like he is our QB going forward. That will tell me that with more time in the scheme he will grow.