Bears bring in intriguing QB prospect for a workout

soulman

Report: Bears bring in intriguing QB prospect for a workout

9430391.JPG?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320

Mason Fine (Photo: Jackson Moore, 247Sports)

CHICAGO, Ill. —The Chicago Bears didn't draft a quarterback in the 2020 NFL Draft despite having some concerns about the long-term future for the position. With Mitch Trubisky and Nick Foles in a battle for the starting job, veteran Tyler Bray currently holds the QB3 spot.

But that could change as Chicago might add another player to their quarterback room.

According to a report from Daniel Greenberg, the Bears are bringing in former North Texas quarterback Mason Fine in for a workout. Greenberg sourced Fine's mentor ahead of this weekends visit.

QB Mason Fine is flying to Chicago this weekend for a tryout with the Bears, per his former high school mentor.

Fine played college football at the University of North Texas and finished as the program's all-time leader in passing yards (12,505), and passing touchdowns (93).

— Daniel Greenberg (@ChiSportUpdates) August 13, 2020

The 5-foot-11 Fine went undrafted in the 2020 NFL Draft after standing out at North Texas for a few years and didn't sign on with a team this offseason. Instead, he was added to the coaching staff at Pawhuska High School in Oklahoma. But now Fine will get his shot with a workout at Halas Hall this weekend.

Fine broke several North Texas records, leaving the Mean Green as the program's all-time leader in passing yards (12,505), passing touchdowns 93, passing efficiency (140.68), total touchdowns (100), and career completions (1,039). He also set the single-season record with 4,052 passing yards, 31 touchdowns, 324 completions, and 511 attempts in 2017.

There are some intriguing traits in Fine despite being undersized. Watching the tape on his career at North Texas, he showed he was not only accurate but could sling the football all over the field. Here are the pros in a scouting report from the Draft Network's Kyle Crabbs: 

Quick decision maker in the pocket who is quick to shoot the ball out of his hands -- loves to get the ball into hands of playmakers in space. Pretty mobile as a passer, implemented in a lot of roll out reads and opportunities to create coverage breakdowns by stressing defenses laterally. Fine has some instances of precision inside of 10-15 yards, particularly when he's in rhythm at the top of his drops or reading defenders on the second level and given a chance to zip a slant pattern in behind a vacated defender. Highly accomplished at North Texas and has completely rewritten the school's passing records as a 3+ year starter with the Mean Green.

Fine will be in Chicago next week for the tryout and with the uncertainty of the NFL season, he could at least be a candidate to stash on the team's practice squad to get a better look throughout the year.

Edited by soulman
  • Like 1

Chicago Bears: What you need to know about Mason Fine

Use your ← → (arrows) to browse
Chicago Bears, Mason Fine

The Chicago Bears interest in CUSA.

By now, the news has already circulated that the Chicago Bears are bringing in Mason Fine for a workout. Mason Fine was my first sleeper quarterback before I had watched Anthony Gordon film. I will get very excited talking about this kid, so I want you to remember that he wasn’t drafted, and nobody signed him as an undrafted free agent.

I first had an interest in Mason Fine when I searched seniors entering the NFL draft in 2020. I came across the kid from North Texas and looked at his stats and noticed that he fit the Bill Parcells rule.

Mason Fine was far and away the highest-graded quarterback in Conference USA this season.

5:13 PM · Feb 11, 2019·Sprout Social

Mason Fine was a senior, that had over three years of starting experience. Fine started over 30 games and just won over 23 games by a small margin. He only completed less than 60% of his passes once as a freshman and shatters the 2:1 touchdown to interception ratio. Fine tossed 93 touchdowns to 34 interceptions on his collegiate career.

So what are the negatives? If you haven’t heard, Fine is 5’10 3/4 tall and 190 pounds. You will see some list him at 5’9 and some list him at 5’11. But according to an interview back in November last season, he shared that he was right in-between.

The other negative thing Fine has going for himself is he played at North Texas college. North Texas, Louisiana Tech, UAB, Southern Mississippi, UTSA, Rice, UTEP, Old Dominion, Middle Tennessee State, FIU, Charlotte, Western Kentucky, Marshall, and FAU make up Conference USA. That isn’t the best competition, but it isn’t the worst.

Mason Fine’s reason for getting a chance.

The Chicago Bears area scout in that area must be pretty intuitive because the Bears have a few players from those schools on the team. They have also been rumored to have had an interest in a lot more from those schools as well.

The story of Mason Fine is a short one. Fine was short, so colleges did not send him any offers. But this is another kid who shattered records in high school. Fine was a two-time Oklahoma Gatorade player of the year. And we know how Oklahoma loves football. They obsess over these kids being the best athletes at a very young age.

Mason fine tossed for 166 touchdowns and over 13,000 yards in high school. That is insane. He also had a 4.5 40-yard dash in high school.  Mason Fine was a student-athlete in high school that maintained a 4.0 GPA. Did I mention he was fast? Just about every season, Fine would run for around 500 yards and almost double-digit touchdowns. You are probably asking, why is it important to know what he did in high school? Well, that’s a simple question to answer.

According to MaxPreps, a high school stat collecting site, Tua Tagovaila passed for around 5,500 yards in two years and 60 touchdowns. Tagoviloa was a four-star recruit even though if you doubled his last two season over to his first two years; he still wouldn’t have passed what Fine did in high school. Yet, Mason Fine was a two-star recruit. Maybe Drew Brees and Russell Wilson aren’t doing enough to get the respect for the little quarterbacks out there.

The Chicago Bears could use a young one.

Maybe Matt Nagy has a thing for quarterbacks that toss seven touchdowns in a single game. If Mason Fine does make the team, they would have another quarterback who has done that over their career that wasn’t in high school.

With the crazy stuff going on this year, Mason Fine was unable to attend his pro day, and he wasn’t invited to the combine. Shame on whoever invites the players to the combine. Did we really need to see Kevin Davidson, Shea Patterson, or Brian Lewerke?

No offense to those quarterbacks, but there were some more exciting names out there. Do yourself a favor, and go put on some Mason Fine highlights. If you are bored. Again, I am very excited, so take this with a grain of salt.

Fine might not even get an offer. But if he is as good as I expect him to be, he will unseat Tyle Bray at the very least. In all honesty, the way things are going in college, the Chicago Bears will need some young upside on the team now. It could become a guessing game next year.

Some have been calling Mason Fine a poor mans Russell Wilson. Maybe, but I have a comparison that might make you puke and smile at the same time. Take a young Chase Daniel and give him a strong arm and reliable mobility. As a rookie for sure. If you haven’t seen some of Daniel’s pranks, you should. Here is something fun of Mason Fine.

QB discusses his 7-TD performance in tonight's win over UTEP

Television
Full Presser: https://youtu.be/PQmogdvglos #GMG #UNiTeNorthTexas

0:12
178.9K views

7:52 PM · Nov 2, 2019·Twitter Web App

Come on, Chicago Bear fans. Are you telling me you wouldn’t want to see Mason Fine at a press conference dressed up as a giant Chicago Bear? The kid could be the developmental quarterback the Chicago Bears need. And they might need or want four quarterbacks this year on the total roster just in case.

Edited by soulman

Joking aside this is exactly the kind of out of the box play I'd expect out of Ryan Pace.  He's drafted and signed others from smaller schools that have shown pro potential and in this case whatta we have to lose?  Tyler Bray is only a "JAG" camp arm and an emergency PS backup so why not take a look at a kid whose been turning heads ever since he was in HS.

I recall when Barry Alvarez brought Russell Wilson to the Badgers after NC State's HC had expressed his concerns about Wilson continuing to pursue a MLB career as well.

Not only did he succeed but he set an FBS record for passing efficiency and led the Wisconsin to a Big 10 title and to the Rose Bowl while still playing minor league baseball in the offseason.  Despite this the kid lasted 'til the 3rd round of the NFL draft but has become one of the most dangerous and productive QBs in the NFL.  So why not take a look at another kid like him?

At this point there is nothing to lose with bringing in a young kid. He seems athletic and has numbers on a smaller program, and he will likely be easy to stash away on the PS if he doesn't suck. Bray at this point seems more like a player/coach who is only really able to contribute by helping others learn the system. 

• Like 1