Ravens Training Camp 2020

drd23

Good. Patrick Mekari, minus a few ugly snaps at a position he had little experience at prior to last year, is a superior center to Matt Skura and I’m glad he’s getting the start at the top of the season so that he can get even better. I think he could prove to be a PB talent as early as this season, if not next year.

Edited by diamondbull424

1 hour ago, drd23 said:

with Fluker slotting in at RG for Yanda

Ominous. 

I think fans are going to come to really appreciate the stark difference between having a player you can essentially count on to make & hold his block every snap and a JAG journeyman. Then we'll see a lot of clamoring for IOL early round investment next draft. 

I think there's some real underestimation among the fan base in regards to the loss of Yanda and the looming cost of said loss. It's the one aspect of the team that really concerns me. You can only have so many 'serviceable' players on an OL before systemic issue emerge. Fingers crossed Mekari continues his ascension and at least one other young guy(Powers,Bredeson,Phillips) can share the same trajectory.

3 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Ominous. 

I think fans are going to come to really appreciate the stark difference between having a player you can essentially count on to make & hold his block every snap and a JAG journeyman. Then we'll see a lot of clamoring for IOL early round investment next draft. 

I think there's some real underestimation among the fan base in regards to the loss of Yanda and the looming cost of said loss. It's the one aspect of the team that really concerns me. You can only have so many 'serviceable' players on an OL before systemic issue emerge. Fingers crossed Mekari continues his ascension and at least one other young guy(Powers,Bredeson,Phillips) can share the same trajectory.

I did like what I saw from Ben Powers in the week 17 game vs Pittsburgh. Hopefully if Fluker doesn’t provide trustworthy play that Powers will be allowed to step in and step up.

That said the Lamar effect should help Fluker in pass pro which is his biggest flaw.

I will say I’m far more comfortable with the idea of Fluker on the left side of the line next to Stanley than on the right side next to Brown. Would balance out the lack of speed vs ensuring speed/stunts will be most prevalent on the right side of the OL. 

12 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Good. Patrick Mekari, minus a few ugly snaps at a position he had little experience at prior to last year, is a superior center to Matt Skura and I’m glad he’s getting the start at the top of the season so that he can get even better. I think he could prove to be a PB talent as early as this season, if not next year.

I have a hard time supporting Mekari for C because he was brutalized over and over in the loss vs the Titans. He really got exposed.

In fact I don't think it's an understatement to say Mekari's poor play vs the Titans was the single biggest reason they lost the game. He's a rookie UDFA so he really shouldn't have been in that position in the first place, but man he really sucked.   

The Ravens never have great training camp content/coverage, but it really feels like we're lagging behind some other clubs in terms of overall content right now. Which I guess could be a good thing with COVID looming. Everything is really clamped down around the players. 

3 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

I know Ken McKusick who does really phenomenal film work for RSR is very anti-Mekari. The way he grades out o-linemen he said Mekari missed a ton of blocks last year.

For what it's worth McKusick doesn't write for RSR anymore, he has his own thing with https://filmstudybaltimore.com/. I'm not sure Lombardi has anybody else left on staff that I pay attention to other than McFarland and his cap stuff (which he's a couple months behind on). 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

I know Ken McKusick who does really phenomenal film work for RSR is very anti-Mekari. The way he grades out o-linemen he said Mekari missed a ton of blocks last year.

Yep, mostly got C and D grades from Ken whereas Skura was more in the C+/B range, as you can see here https://filmstudybaltimore.com/2019-offensive-line-scoring/

2 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

I'm not sure Lombardi has anybody else left on staff that I pay attention to other than McFarland and his cap stuff (which he's a couple months behind on). 

Yea, McFarland is it. Rest are all a joke. I don't even visit the site anymore. Can get Brian's info from his twitter.

I’m pretty excited by the idea of the new Ravens live. Being able to get an inside look at their training camp is kind of like going back to the days where they trained at McDaniel college and you could just watch them live if you wanted to. I was too young and my parents weren’t into football so I never got a chance to go but once I had football camp there and they were just arriving there for the start of training camp as we were leaving so that was at least pretty cool. This should be a new evolution in fan interaction with the team.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

I’m pretty excited by the idea of the new Ravens live. Being able to get an inside look at their training camp is kind of like going back to the days where they trained at McDaniel college and you could just watch them live if you wanted to. I was too young and my parents weren’t into football so I never got a chance to go but once I had football camp there and they were just arriving there for the start of training camp as we were leaving so that was at least pretty cool. This should be a new evolution in fan interaction with the team.

I’m from Westminster - growing up my parents would literally just drop me off at training camp and i’d stay there all day when they were at work. Was amazing.