Ravens Training Camp 2020

drd23

Regarding throwing punches in training camp, my old coach would be furious if I lunged and looked down trying to stop a ball carrier like two of those guy did in the tackle drill. 

It is a great drill, where the first rule is #1 don't cheat on the cone, so those defenders not running around it and cutting inside would get an earful, and when they then shows poor form like two of those did, they would get another. 

Its set up so the defender has a chance to get up to/across the "LOS" because the RB has to focus on catching the ball, and done correctly the defender has to break ground and still get up field to narrow the angle for the RB. LJ fort does a decent job, but Ingram is a hammer, Queen doesn't break down and doesn't get low enough and loses the rep, Board doesn't stay square but is an ok rep forcing the rep out of bounds, #50 don't cheat the cone, breaks down but I would like to see him explode once Ingram commits to lower his helmet. 50 must be Alaka, he looks big so I would prefer him to win that rep on physique. #40 just gave up a 1. down because he doesn't break down (you are also not doing the combine, you don't run around on the field using your hand to stay off the ground my coaches would say), #57 have to break down and chop his feet and stay patient till the RB commits, nice little juke by Edwards to use the LB's momentum against him.

On my team, we where told this is a drill where they can accept, that the LB breaks down at/after the "LOS" and then take on contact and gives up a couple of yards. They would absolutely not accept any lunging, diving tackles/gator tackles. You end up receiving a couple of helmets by runningbacks lowering their shoulder, but done correctly, you get a form tackle for loss. Its a great drill.

5 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Fun watch of skill position drills from 59:00 on(I've time stamp embedded the video, so it should start right away)-

Yeah definitely some quality position drill work there. Anyone else notice #81 flashing well in drills? I don’t know who he is but he looks pretty smooth out there. Looked like the back of the jersey said Moore, but I don’t think it was Chris Moore. I might have to look the guy up.

30 minutes ago, Danand said:

Regarding throwing punches in training camp, my old coach would be furious if I lunged and looked down trying to stop a ball carrier like two of those guy did in the tackle drill. 

It is a great drill, where the first rule is #1 don't cheat on the cone, so those defenders not running around it and cutting inside would get an earful, and when they then shows poor form like two of those did, they would get another. 

Its set up so the defender has a chance to get up to/across the "LOS" because the RB has to focus on catching the ball, and done correctly the defender has to break ground and still get up field to narrow the angle for the RB. LJ fort does a decent job, but Ingram is a hammer, Queen doesn't break down and doesn't get low enough and loses the rep, Board doesn't stay square but is an ok rep forcing the rep out of bounds, #50 don't cheat the cone, breaks down but I would like to see him explode once Ingram commits to lower his helmet. 50 must be Alaka, he looks big so I would prefer him to win that rep on physique. #40 just gave up a 1. down because he doesn't break down (you are also not doing the combine, you don't run around on the field using your hand to stay off the ground my coaches would say), #57 have to break down and chop his feet and stay patient till the RB commits, nice little juke by Edwards to use the LB's momentum against him.

On my team, we where told this is a drill where they can accept, that the LB breaks down at/after the "LOS" and then take on contact and gives up a couple of yards. They would absolutely not accept any lunging, diving tackles/gator tackles. You end up receiving a couple of helmets by runningbacks lowering their shoulder, but done correctly, you get a form tackle for loss. Its a great drill.

True, possibly a TD considering it happened against JKD and he’s got legit breakaway speed. But tbf, he was facing JK Dobbins and his immense quickness. You’d hope that Malik Harrison’s rep there would look better against his former teammate in JKD, but I suppose that its also true that Dobbins knows Harrison and what he likes to do... not that I suppose it matters much Dobbins also made Queen look shaky in that rep, his quickness is immense.

3 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Yeah definitely some quality position drill work there. Anyone else notice #81 flashing well in drills? I don’t know who he is but he looks pretty smooth out there. Looked like the back of the jersey said Moore, but I don’t think it was Chris Moore. I might have to look the guy up.

#81 is UDFA WR Jaylon Moore, from Tennessee-Martin

Something I haven't seen mentioned much in the wake of the Thomas release but - it may take a few games for the defensive backfield to get comfortable with each other/start playing up to their potential, and we just happen to play very arguably the 3 most explosive pass-offenses we play all year in the first 3 weeks of the season with Cleveland, Houston, and Kansas City.

I wouldn't be shocked if we have a few clunkers early in the secondary, unfortunately. 

22 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Something I haven't seen mentioned much in the wake of the Thomas release but - it may take a few games for the defensive backfield to get comfortable with each other/start playing up to their potential, and we just happen to play very arguably the 3 most explosive pass-offenses we play all year in the first 3 weeks of the season with Cleveland, Houston, and Kansas City.

I wouldn't be shocked if we have a few clunkers early in the secondary, unfortunately. 

True. Though one key thing to remember is that for the past two years, when Elliot has been healthy (I know, not often), he’s been Chuck Clark’s safety running mate on the second team defense. We know they got extensive work in last season for training camp and then through a few weeks of the season as well.

So while Elliot will still be green, the fact that they’ve had extensive practice time together means they’re comfortable in their communication with one another and trusting each other, they said as much in their interview from a couple days ago.

Whats pretty crazy as well is that through all the trials and tribulations that Elliot has been through, he’s still younger than some of the more hyped rookie safeties like Kyle Dugger and Ashtyn Davis.

I was just looking at his combine numbers a couple days ago to refamiliarize myself with what he might bring to the field athletically and while they were solid, they weren’t quite as good as Chuck Clark’s... then I remembered that his numbers were those of a 20 year old, he was roughly two years younger than Clark was when they both competed at the combine. It’ll be interesting to see exactly where Elliot is athletically at this point.

7 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Bowser hungry AF. 

He’s my “Chris Moore” until proven otherwise on the field...always seems to have good camps/potential and when the actual action comes we’re left wanting more...a lot more.

Hopefully he’ll ball out in a contract year though, and we get a 3rd round comp pick

1 minute ago, Ray Reed said:

He’s my “Chris Moore” until proven otherwise on the field...always seems to have good camps/potential and when the actual action comes we’re left wanting more...a lot more.

Hopefully he’ll ball out in a contract year though, and we get a 3rd round comp pick

You say this a lot, but what does it actually mean? Seems like you're biased against him tbh.

Last year Bowser gave us 5 Sacks on 192 Pass Rush snaps, with a 15.1% Pressure Rate. Was essentially flawless in pass coverage, and contributed against run.

He had the highest PFF grade out of any OLB on our team. He was in SIS's Top 10 WAR Winners against the Pass(You can find that article in the 2020 RDT).

And all of that comes after having like 300 total defensive snaps in his first two years combined... With significantly limited developmental opportunity, Bowser has turned himself into quite the young player.

If he's even better now as all the reports are suggesting, with having just turned 25, I hope we don't get a 3rd Round comp pick for him. I'm sick of investing in, then developing young pass rushers for other teams(ZDS). We should extend him early to beat the market price tag ala Chuck Clark.

59 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

You say this a lot, but what does it actually mean? Seems like you're biased against him tbh.

Last year Bowser gave us 5 Sacks on 192 Pass Rush snaps, with a 15.1% Pressure Rate. Was essentially flawless in pass coverage, and contributed against run.

He had the highest PFF grade out of any OLB on our team. He was in SIS's Top 10 WAR Winners against the Pass(You can find that article in the 2020 RDT).

And all of that comes after having like 300 total defensive snaps in his first two years combined... With significantly limited developmental opportunity, Bowser has turned himself into quite the young player.

If he's even better now as all the reports are suggesting, with having just turned 25, I hope we don't get a 3rd Round comp pick for him. I'm sick of investing in, then developing young pass rushers for other teams(ZDS). We should extend him early to beat the market price tag ala Chuck Clark.

Why would I be biased against a player on my own team, lol?

The fact of the matter is Tyus Bowser is a lot closer to a Paul Kruger than he is to a Zadarius Smith in terms of impact at this point in his career. He’s not a flat out bust but people talk about him like he’s some great hybrid chess piece and the most he’s done in 3 seasons of a career was last year. And i don’t particularly take stock in those advanced metric numbers for a guy who plays such a rotational role as Bowser. Of course your efficiency numbers are going to look better when you’re on a snap count because you can’t consistently beat out players like a 31 year old McPhee and a rookie Ferguson and hold down a starting OLB spot.

And I think “flawless” in pass coverage and good against the run is vey hyperbolic. Watch some of Edgar Allen’s film breakdowns on YouTube...almost all of his praise is for Tyus’s potential, and there are serious blemishes, especially in working the run against the edge. And he rarely finishes, even when he puts together good pass rush combos. Most of his good plays on film are “see, Tyus could have made a big play here, had the QB not gone the other way...”.

At this point Tyus Bowser was the 47th pick in the draft 3 years ago who has yet to make a consistent impact on our team. It is what it is. If he was this revelation in coverage people keep referencing the coaches wouldn’t have taken him off the field as frequently as they did in 2nd/3rd and medium/long. But there’s a whole lot of him on the sideline in those situations with guys like Judon/Ferguson and even Ward on the field ahead of him when you look at snapcount breakdowns from Ken McKusick.

I get wanting him to be really good. I hope he is this next year. But Tyus Bowser has not played up to #47 pick in the draft level at this point in his career. He just hasn’t. At the end of the day he’s a guy who even is his best year - last year - played less than 40% of the defensive snaps and registered 5 sacks. If you don’t think that’s a player who is still living largely off of potential in the minds of fans, we just disagree, I guess.

Edited by Ray Reed