Packers extend DT Kenny Clark (4 years, $70 M)

RaidersAreOne

Okay, so someone help me with how this works because one thing I do not understand and at this point am too lazy to learn is how NFL contracts work.

By 25 million signing bonus, does that mean that 25 of that 70 million doesn't count against the cap?

Or will his cap hit average out to be 17.5 million per year?

Because 17.5 million per year is just I hate it.  Very necessary of course, but I hate it. 

23 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Okay, so someone help me with how this works because one thing I do not understand and at this point am too lazy to learn is how NFL contracts work.

By 25 million signing bonus, does that mean that 25 of that 70 million doesn't count against the cap?

Because 17.5 million per year is just I hate it.  Very necessary of course, but I hate it. 

No.  That $25M get spread over the course of the deal even though he gets paid upfront.  Because it's an extension, they can spread that signing bonus over the last year of his rookie deal, so his cap hit should go up $5M this year.

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

No.  That $25M get spread over the course of the deal even though he gets paid upfront.  Because it's an extension, they can spread that signing bonus over the last year of his rookie deal, so his cap hit should go up $5M this year.

Could go up, or they could convert his 2020 salary to other guarantees and lower his 2020 cap hit.  

Will be interesting to see how this got structured with the pending cap question marks for 2021.  Will it have a bigger jump in cap hits in 2022 when Rodgers might be off the books??

Deforest Buckner $21m AAV - PFF 78.8 - 8 sacks, 33 solo tackles

Chris Jones $20m AAV - PFF 86.3 - 9 sacks, 22 solo tackles

Fletcher Cox $17.1m AAV - PFF 84.5 - 4 sacks, 27 solo tackles

Grady Jarrett $17m AAV - PFF 90.1 - 8 sacks, 43 solo tackles

Geno Atkins $16.3m AAV - PFF 76.2 - 5 sacks, 29 solo tackles

Kawann Short $16.1m AAV - DNP 2019

Kenny Clark $15.54m AAV - PFF 79.8 - 8 sacks, 41 solo tackles

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Deforest Buckner $21m AAV - PFF 78.8 - 8 sacks, 33 solo tackles

Chris Jones $20m AAV - PFF 86.3 - 9 sacks, 22 solo tackles

Fletcher Cox $17.1m AAV - PFF 84.5 - 4 sacks, 27 solo tackles

Grady Jarrett $17m AAV - PFF 90.1 - 8 sacks, 43 solo tackles

Geno Atkins $16.3m AAV - PFF 76.2 - 5 sacks, 29 solo tackles

Kawann Short $16.1m AAV - DNP 2019

Kenny Clark $15.54m AAV - PFF 79.8 - 8 sacks, 41 solo tackles

That AAV isn't really accurate.

43 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

SB is the guaranteed money he gets. Packers usually guarantee around 30% of the contract. Here they pay him a bit more. As CWood says, that cap hit is spread in his five years. Then you have to add the base salary+possible roster/workout bonuses. His cap hit will probably stay quite low in 2020 and 2021 and then it will stonk.

Jason Fitzgerald (the Overthecap guy) talked about him getting a 19M per year contract after the Chris Jones and DeForest Buckner's contracts. It's a pretty good contract for the Packers.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, VonKarman said:

Cheap. Best player in the team.

Zadarius might be able to give him a run for his money if he continues from last season (or if Rodgers were to get back to his best though that's unlikely), but otherwise yeah he kind of has to be. Also the best nose tackle in the league and has the versatility to play 3-4 DE so couldn't be happier with this signing.

I never feared losing him but it would have been catastrophic if we did, and while not cheap the price is still very good for what he can do. Great news on a quiet Saturday. 

This is GREAT News! Good for the Packers and Fantastic for Kenny Clark!

He is absolutely relentless in his pass rush and pursuit. He'll run guys down from behind in the backfield and get down field on plays. Plus he's unassuming and humble in his demeanor. Very happy for the young man.

Edited by JQ1