Packers extend DT Kenny Clark (4 years, $70 M)

RaidersAreOne

Excellent move for both sides. Kenny gets his $$$ before his numbers go down because of the JAG's next to him and the team has a chance to actually draft some help for him over the next two drafts if they are actually paying attention to the games...

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Excellent move for both sides. Kenny gets his $$$ before his numbers go down because of the JAG's next to him and the team has a chance to actually draft some help for him over the next two drafts if they are actually paying attention to the games...

Yeah it really must suck to rush the passer when the OL also has to worry about both Smiths.

1 minute ago, deltarich87 said:

Here's the contract breakdown. Lol at the Packers not even pretending to be subtle about what they plan on doing with Rodgers. I wonder what year they'll be moving on from him....tough to say

Sets up ideally with Rodgers' contract. It was always the likely case that he plays 2 more years here. Trade him after 2021 season. Love is going to need every bit of that time because this off-season has largely been a waste with no preseason reps, etc. That will give him one complete off-season next year followed by one more regular season on the bench and then it's time to sink or swim in year 3. 

3 hours ago, deltarich87 said:

They aren't gonna trade Rodgers. They'll cut him and let him have the opportunity to sign where he wants as a show of respect for what he's meant to the org. They traded FAvre because he was a petty *** hole

Doubt it.  Rodgers value will still be pretty high and they will want something in return.  Would be bad business to just let him go without any return .... salary cap yes, nothing else gained that way. 

4 hours ago, deltarich87 said:

They aren't gonna trade Rodgers. They'll cut him and let him have the opportunity to sign where he wants as a show of respect for what he's meant to the org. They traded FAvre because he was a petty *** hole

There is a way to do both, if both sides can work together.  Obviously didn't happen with Favre.

1 hour ago, coachbuns said:

Doubt it.  Rodgers value will still be pretty high and they will want something in return.  Would be bad business to just let him go without any return .... salary cap yes, nothing else gained that way. 

Agreed .. forget feelings and get as much as you can in a deal.  Gross negligence to let someone walk when you can get serious draft pick compensation.

On 8/25/2020 at 10:04 AM, deltarich87 said:

Here's the contract breakdown. Lol at the Packers not even pretending to be subtle about what they plan on doing with Rodgers. I wonder what year they'll be moving on from him....tough to say

I honestly don't understand why many are assuming this has to do directly with Rodgers contract, when they are seemingly failing to connect the fact that the cap is expected to go down, for first time ever (or at least first time in modern times) in 2021, and that's a hell lot better reason and more important factor than Rodgers contract.

Don't get me wrong, both could be true, but I'm not much of a gambler, and I'd easily bet that this contract setup has a hell lot more to do with the 2021 cap which has a set date, then the Rodgers contract which they'll probably play by ear, as the future replacement has to actually develop first...

1 hour ago, Beast said:

I honestly don't understand why many are assuming this has to do directly with Rodgers contract, when they are seemingly failing to connect the fact that the cap is expected to go down, for first time ever (or at least first time in modern times) in 2021, and that's a hell lot better reason and more important factor than Rodgers contract.

Don't get me wrong, both could be true, but I'm not much of a gambler, and I'd easily bet that this contract setup has a hell lot more to do with the 2021 cap which has a set date, then the Rodgers contract which they'll probably play by ear, as the future replacement has to actually develop first...

Besides, it's the typical contract structure the Packers use. If you take out the 5th year and compare Kenny's contract with Za'darius' one yo have the following:

Kenny cap hit      Z cap hit

Year 1    7.1M                    7.25M

Year 2    20.65M                17.25M

Year 3    21.25M                20.75M

Year 4    22M                     20.75M

So proportionally Kenny's year 1 is about a million less than what it would be with a typical Packer contract, but that can be easily attributed to the expected 2021 low cap (175M).

Edited by VonKarman
  • Like 1