Pettine's Gone, but Outpost is Back

MacReady

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Prevent sucks, I hate that it's still a thing. I hate even more that people judge a defense that played 3 excellent quarters by the one Q they play prevent. It's not just our fan base either.

I said it once and I will say it again to those that were saying we weren't in prevent. Both Cousins & Zimmer mentioned that the Packers played a softer defense in the 4th. That should be all the proof we need. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

I said it once and I will say it again to those that were saying we weren't in prevent. Both Cousins & Zimmer mentioned that the Packers played a softer defense in the 4th. That should be all the proof we need. 

But but but... your ruining our whining time... it's Packers season and we need something to ***** about, and defense gave us something...

Our date the Packers play soft! Fire Pettine! Fire Savage and Alexander for letting TDs over their heads! They didn't play prevent defense right! For them all!

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Prevent sucks, I hate that it's still a thing. I hate even more that people judge a defense that played 3 excellent quarters by the one Q they play prevent. It's not just our fan base either.

I understand this perspective.  My issue with it is the mental side of it.

Are you willing to say that allowing 24 points in one quarter doesn’t have an effect on a defense’s mentality?

All the Super Bowl winning defenses out there... Can you name one of them that said, “Let’s take it easy, game’s over?”

I’m genuinely serious with this.  I want the defense to play like the game is on the line every single minute.  The fact that people think it’s okay we played a soft defense is just bad.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Are you willing to say that allowing 24 points in one quarter doesn’t have an effect on a defense’s mentality?

All the Super Bowl winning defenses out there... Can you name one of them that said, “Let’s take it easy, game’s over?”

I’m genuinely serious with this.  I want the defense to play like the game is on the line every single minute.  The fact that people think it’s okay we played a soft defense is just bad.

This is all very similar to the momentum phenomena. It is mental. It is about belief. Our offence yesterday had 'belief' and the momentum with them, especially at the half. That belief changes game to game and the more consistent it becomes the stronger the belief and the ability to overcome adversity ala Chiefs in the playoffs last year. That is why a hot team is a dangerous team. 

In the same way one of the most dangerous things with belief is over confidence. That is what happened yesterday. The worst incidence of this was 2014 playoff game against Seattle and the 'perfect storm' that resulted in the defeat. When a sense of hubris sets in it is fatal. Hopefully the lesson was learned yesterday.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Beast said:

Yes, because the defense is our step child, we Packers fans must treat them like ****, or your not a true Packers fan...

Even when they were the ones keeping us in games last year and our Super Bowl year... still got to find ways to disrespect them, they're our *******.

Man.  That's no me.  I loved the D last year.  Course they had two really bad games against the same team, but still, I thought the D last year was quite good and disruptive.

And our offense last year and the year before was the point of anger.

I hope Pettine bends his will a little bit and challenges those defensive players to be great for 4 quarters.  And allows them to be great for 4 quarters.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Norm said:

I'm really thinking with this off season that nobody should make too much of anything, that's always the case early, but this year even moreso. That's my feeling anyways. 

I obviously don't expect the offense to do that every week, I'm sure they'll have a stinker soon enough that will give us this same kind of conversation. I'm just saying it's hard to look solid all the way around week one is all.

Dang son, when are you the voice of reason?  :)

Considering no pre-season or anything like that, well you start making more sense.  Stop it.

1 hour ago, Norm said:

I missed all this, can you explain a little what you mean, saw you bring it up before

I only bring it up concerning Jaire, because he was the guy most visible during the snap.

Normally he's crouched down in an athletic stance prior to the play.  He's in the "ready" position.  Feet under him, perfectly balanced, ready to read, react, coil...etc.

In that prevent scheme, he was standing upright about 6 yards off of his man.  First steps backwards were little shuffle steps.  Not at all "ready" or immediately ready.  And when Thielen got him for the TD, well, I'm not sure if he was crouched and "ready" or if he was upright at the snap.  But this I do know, a ready and intense Jaire is better than a Jaire that is told to sit back there, wait and then make a play.

Maybe he was a little gassed.  Maybe the whole defense was, because they were not firing out hard or fast.  Just kind of going 80% and seeing what happens.  And maybe that is part of the mentality of being in a prevent.  

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Literally week 1 of last year's Super Bowl Champion, the Chiefs beat the Jaguars 40-26. In the 4th quarter it was 37-13 and then they stopped caring leading to a 13 point 4th quarter.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Literally week 1 of last year's Super Bowl Champion, the Chiefs beat the Jaguars 40-26. In the 4th quarter it was 37-13 and then they stopped caring leading to a 13 point 4th quarter.

13 points is not 24 points.  

Like I’ve said, I believe the defense can get better.  I know it has to get better.

Not many great defenses all-time had a regular season where they didn’t have a couple bad games.  However, if this 30+ point bull**** is a 4, 5 or 6 game type thing, Pettine has to be fired.  Especially paying Rodgers what we’re paying him next year.

51 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I was more upset at how the points occured. Prevent implies keeping the play in front of you and forcing a longer drive and that didnt even happen lol. We were giving up points on like 2 min drives. Savage got toasted on a play where he let the only Viking capable of catching a pass get behind him. 

Jaire did the same thing on Thielen's 2nd td but at least the coverage was a little better. 

9 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Prevent implies keeping the play in front of you and forcing a longer drive......we were giving up points on like 2 min drives.

This ^
The idea is to burn clock, limit points enough to get the W and get the game over quicker.
MN ripped off at least a couple two+ minute scoring drives......not a whole lot of "prevent" involved in that process. 

15 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I was more upset at how the points occured. Prevent implies keeping the play in front of you and forcing a longer drive and that didnt even happen lol. We were giving up points on like 2 min drives. Savage got toasted on a play where he let the only Viking capable of catching a pass get behind him. 

Jaire did the same thing on Thielen's 2nd td but at least the coverage was a little better. 

We're they really playing prevent?  Usually prevent doesn't see receivers getting behind DB's  for long TD's.  Whatever they were playing they need to scrap it ASAP.

Edited by {Family Ghost}
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Spartacus said:

Savage got beat deep late is that prevent = no. Alexander got beat deep while playing press coverage (got figure) so was that prevent  = no.  The Packers should have played better prevent defense and yes that definitely needs to be cleaned up by Pettine.  Sloppy in the 4th quarter but the D played pretty darn good for 3 quarters.