Pettine's Gone, but Outpost is Back

MacReady

7 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Am I crazy or does it legitimately look like Pettine has lost our defensive players?  They're playing with no energy whatsoever.  It's like they don't even care.  It's so disgusting to watch. 

I'm not sure if it's crazy or stupid... but certainly blindly obsessed...  it's always Pettine's fault with you...

MVS dropped passes today... it's LaFleur's fault you know! It's just asinine BS...

17 minutes ago, Beast said:

I'm not sure if it's crazy or stupid... but certainly blindly obsessed...  it's always Pettine's fault with you...

MVS dropped passes today... it's LaFleur's fault you know! It's just asinine BS...

Yeah you’re right.  We fired Capers because his players sucked.  Defensive coordinators can’t be held accountable for calling crap halves of football or putting Will Redmond at LB.

But if LaFleur put Bakhtiari in at receiver and Bakhtiari dropped a pass you might have a point.

16 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Yeah you’re right.  We fired Capers because his players sucked.  Defensive coordinators can’t be held accountable for calling crap halves of football or putting Will Redmond at LB.

But if LaFleur put Bakhtiari in at receiver and Bakhtiari dropped a pass you might have a point.

i also don't understand why they keep having preston smith play man coverage on people, the dude just isn't fast enough to keep up with anyone. Noticed that quite a bit last year, and today as well.

6 minutes ago, dwaye50327 said:

i also don't understand why they keep having preston smith play man coverage on people, the dude just isn't fast enough to keep up with anyone. Noticed that quite a bit last year, and today as well.

That’s Preston’s fault he’s not fast enough to cover running backs twice as fast as him.

Just ask Beast.

Beast will tell you.  Pettine calls the plays and it’s Preston’s fault he can’t keep up with someone twice as fast as him.

Right, Beast?

Loved that MLF ripped into the defense.  Brought a little fire to them.

I'm not making excuses for Pettine, but...here is what I think.

No crowd noise.  Advantage offense.  Veteran QB...with no noise...large advantage offense.

I think the offensive "script" and lack of noise is letting good veteran QB's identify the defense and get into the right play.  To defend this, you almost need a stud, vet NFL ILB with hogs in front of him and a solid veteran secondary.  Kind of like Prime Ray Lewis and his defense.

When the offense runs out of it's script, it's now the defense's turn to flip the game.  We did that against the Lions.  I saw us run some zone blitzes when the DL dropped and covered the short cross.  I saw us run some "trap" coverages.  We got over to the trap a little late, but still, we were trying different things.  And they were mostly successful.

6 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Yes.  Not specifically Pettine, but they spoke about it on the broadcast. 

Defensively, we are led by Z, right?  Fiery.  Great player.

I believe we need another guy to step up and lead that unit.  Should be Alexander.  Take the blinders off of him and just turn him loose, on the field and in the locker room.  Let that swagger wash over the club.  King is softspoken, I think Amos is as well.  I don't get "fiery" from Kirksey.  Clark is quiet.  We need another alpha to just step up and challenge every one on that unit to be better every play.

Let Z take care of the front, Let Jaire take care of the back.