Pettine's Gone, but Outpost is Back

MacReady

Just now, vegas492 said:

Defensively, we are led by Z, right?  Fiery.  Great player.

I believe we need another guy to step up and lead that unit.  Should be Alexander.  Take the blinders off of him and just turn him loose, on the field and in the locker room.  Let that swagger wash over the club.  King is softspoken, I think Amos is as well.  I don't get "fiery" from Kirksey.  Clark is quiet.  We need another alpha to just step up and challenge every one on that unit to be better every play.

Let Z take care of the front, Let Jaire take care of the back.  

Kirksey is proving me right, isn't he, @packfanfb

Blake Martinez in a different uniform currently has a PFF grade of 87.4

Christian Kirksey?  30.1

Kinda hard to be a good ILB when you're playing for Pettine. 

Just now, packfanfb said:

I think the "no fans" thing is really hurting defenses in general. Hard to find your own juice and defense has a big emotional element. We definitely played with more fire on that side of the ball to start the 2nd half. 

20 other teams are keeping opponents to less points per game. 

New England just had half their defense opt out due to Covid-19 and they're allowing 4.5 points less per game than we are.

Our talent > their talent.

Jacksonville traded away practically their entire defense.  Our talent > their talent.

Just now, Outpost31 said:

Kirksey is proving me right, isn't he, @packfanfb

Blake Martinez in a different uniform currently has a PFF grade of 87.4

Christian Kirksey?  30.1

Kinda hard to be a good ILB when you're playing for Pettine. 

I mean maybe. I don't really give two ****s about PFF grades. Kirksey hasn't been awesome, but I do think he's been a clear upgrade already in the passing game. Here's an example that was just talked about: 

As far as his run defense, I'll be the first to admit, it's hard to defend the run well as an ILB when (1) you're in a scheme that is designed to give up rushing yards and (2) you have, without a doubt, the worst group of DL in the league in front of you outside of Clark. Neither Pettine nor Gute are doing much to help Kirksey or our other ILBs. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

20 other teams are keeping opponents to less points per game. 

New England just had half their defense opt out due to Covid-19 and they're allowing 4.5 points less per game than we are.

Our talent > their talent.

Jacksonville traded away practically their entire defense.  Our talent > their talent.

Trust me, I'm not celebrating our defense but it's hard to trust raw point numbers without context. NE was just gutted by another MVP performance by Wilson. Week 1, they played the Dolphins. Conversely, the Packers have given up more points, but 24 against the Vikings came when we went to prevent (which I didn't like but it's still a fact), and 7 this week came in the same scenario. 

What pisses me off the most is how we are starting games as a defense. Two weeks, two teams who went right down the field with no trouble at all and scored touchdowns, putting us in early holes. That can't be the standard. Our first quarter defense has sucked so far this year. Our 2nd/3rd quarter defense has been near the best in football. Our 4th quarter defense has sucked, but that's harder to gauge because of the leads we have had through 2 weeks. 

Edited by packfanfb
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Yes.  Not specifically Pettine, but they spoke about it on the broadcast. 

40 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

And Lombardi never chewed out his defense? Come on, this is what head coaches do. MLF is the HEAD coach, not the OC. He is responsible for both sides of the ball. If the offense or defense isn't playing well, MLF needs to chew them out, not the OC or DC. 

Ya, this isn't a huge deal or that uncommon. He's the HC and oversees everything. Him and pettine don't work in complete silos.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Smidgeon said:

So it could be worse than Pettine.  We could have defensive mastermind/genius Matt Patricia running the D...  Pettine may not be the best D-coordinator in the league, but those guys are hard to find.  He isn't bottom half either, IMO.

I just don’t understand how people are okay with him.  Everybody was all up in arms about McCarthy being old and stale, and yet they’re fine with a guy MCCARTHY picked to replace Dom Capers.

It doesn’t follow.

You have old and stale coaches and that’s fine.  You need your coordinators to be fighting for a promotion and taking the risks, instilling the mentality of his players to get there.

Here is the prestigious list of quarterbacks Mike Pettine has kept under 24 points:

23 points - Mitch Trubisky
17 points - Alex Smith
0 points - Josh Allen (rookie)
12 points - Brock Ossweiler
20 points - Josh Rosen
20 points - Matt Ryan
3 points - Mitch Trubisky
16 points - Kirk Cousins
16 points - Joe Flacco
22 points - Matthew Stafford
16 points - Kyle Allen
13 points - Daniel Jones (rookie)
15 points - Dwayne Haskins (rookie)
13 points - Mitchel Trubisky
10 points - Kirk Cousins
20 points - David Blough

Some truly dynamic quarterbacks on that list.