Pettine's Gone, but Outpost is Back

MacReady

38 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I'd take a serious look at Jerry Gray, our secondary coach, too.

Everyone seemed to like Joe Whitt as well, and MM said he was 2nd when interviewing people, I'm not saying hiring him, but at least let him Interview

14 minutes ago, Beast said:

Everyone seemed to like Joe Whitt as well, and MM said he was 2nd when interviewing people, I'm not saying hiring him, but at least let him Interview

I'm all for a little self-scouting, maybe see what the assistants would do different and give it some thought.

Pettine is here this year, he's not going anywhere.  But he can and should improve/evolve.  

• Like 1

On 9/28/2020 at 2:51 PM, vegas492 said:

I'm all for a little self-scouting, maybe see what the assistants would do different and give it some thought.

Pettine is here this year, he's not going anywhere.  But he can and should improve/evolve.  

I will give him one more year after this given our incredible deficiencies at IDL and ILB. I think we're one solid draft away from dominating...

Edited by Joe

7 minutes ago, Joe said:

I will give him one more year after this given our incredible deficiencies at IDL and ILB. I think we're one solid draft away from dominating...

I'm not going to argue against holding onto Pettine for whatever timeframe that is out there.

But...I don't think we have "incredible" deficiencies at IDL and ILB.  Clark is a beast, and if we look at our defense, yah he's been out two games this year, but he was in there last year.

ILB wise...Blake said it when he left.  His job was to cover up for the Smith's.  I don't care what you put at ILB, we aren't going to be elite there with a scheme like that....for ILBs.

I'm fine with Kirksey, Summers and Barnes.  They are fine.

We just have to install some run fits to help that DL and ILB.  Other teams do just fine with plug and play guys on their IDL.  It seems that we do not.

With what do now, IDL and ILB, I guess I don't feel like simply drafting a guy, even in the first round, is really going to affect anything.  To me it is more likely that Keke improves and helps us more.  Which will lead to better ILB play.

But that is just my $.02.  With what we have on defense, we can and should do better.  And I think we will.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I'm not going to argue against holding onto Pettine for whatever timeframe that is out there.

But...I don't think we have "incredible" deficiencies at IDL and ILB.  Clark is a beast, and if we look at our defense, yah he's been out two games this year, but he was in there last year.

ILB wise...Blake said it when he left.  His job was to cover up for the Smith's.  I don't care what you put at ILB, we aren't going to be elite there with a scheme like that....for ILBs.

I'm fine with Kirksey, Summers and Barnes.  They are fine.

We just have to install some run fits to help that DL and ILB.  Other teams do just fine with plug and play guys on their IDL.  It seems that we do not.

With what do now, IDL and ILB, I guess I don't feel like simply drafting a guy, even in the first round, is really going to affect anything.  To me it is more likely that Keke improves and helps us more.  Which will lead to better ILB play.

But that is just my $.02.  With what we have on defense, we can and should do better.  And I think we will.

Clark is fine, Keke has potential … other than that … nothing.  Packers depth is non existent; have to get more IDL talent.  ILB play with the young guys may be enough if our IDL can/gets better.  Getting Clark back is huge but still need to upgrade from Lancaster, Lowry, Adams. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Clark is fine, Keke has potential … other than that … nothing.  Packers depth is non existent; have to get more IDL talent.  ILB play with the young guys may be enough if our IDL can/gets better.  Getting Clark back is huge but still need to upgrade from Lancaster, Lowry, Adams. 

I guess I feel like a lot of teams have guys like Lancaster, Lowry and Adams.  And they get more out of them than we do.  I don't think it is as simple as drafting another DT and all of a sudden, we are better.

6 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I guess I feel like a lot of teams have guys like Lancaster, Lowry and Adams.  And they get more out of them than we do.  I don't think it is as simple as drafting another DT and all of a sudden, we are better.

I don't care how they upgrade ... draft, street free agent, trade.  More than one way to skin a cat.  Cat lovers, didn't really mean to offend you.

6 hours ago, vegas492 said:

It is if we draft the right guy. Kenny draws enough attention along with the Smiths that all we need is a guy who can come in and take advantage of one-on-one's created by the other three. If we can do that AND get a guy who can sniff out the run, we've already improved the defense. Depth is also an issue as well there. 

8 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I'm not buying that. We need a guy who can go sideline-to-sideline AND stop the run. Sure, Summers showed he had a bit of that in him and Barnes has been a bit of a find, but we don't have that reliable starter that can set the tone and allow those guys to make the most of their opportunities.

In other words, we don't have a proven commodity there because we have not invested in the position. It needs to happen and there are a couple guys in this upcoming draft that could potentially be that guy.

Edited by Joe

14 hours ago, Joe said:

It is if we draft the right guy. Kenny draws enough attention along with the Smiths that all we need is a guy who can come in and take advantage of one-on-one's created by the other three. If we can do that AND get a guy who can sniff out the run, we've already improved the defense. Depth is also an issue as well there. 

I'm not buying that. We need a guy who can go sideline-to-sideline AND stop the run. Sure, Summers showed he had a bit of that in him and Barnes has been a bit of a find, but we don't have that reliable starter that can set the tone and allow those guys to make the most of their opportunities.

In other words, we don't have a proven commodity there because we have not invested in the position. It needs to happen and there are a couple guys in this upcoming draft that could potentially be that guy.

No offense to you, but I disagree with both of your points.

If you look at where we draft, I don't feel like you get an instant plug and play impact DL.  I find it much more likely that you find a guy with potential and groom him in our system.  Like Keke.  Maybe you can use free agency and find the right guy.  Guess I still feel like every team has guys like Lancaster and Lowry, but get more out of them, for whatever reason that is.

Regarding ILB, you may not "buy that", but it's the words out of Blake's mouth.  He knows better than you, or I or anyone else on here how the ILB is treated in GB.  I'd love a sideline to sideline guy who can also blow up the run game.  To be fair, the player you want is Burks.  And we see how that has worked.  At least he's now flashed in one game in coverage.  I wouldn't say that we didn't "invest" at ILB.  Blake was a 4'th round pick.  And that's a fine place to take an ILB.  And he was very solid.  We got "our" guy in Kirksey.  We've invested appropriately, in my opinion.  And we still have a scratch off lottery ticket in Martin.  Looks like Summers was a scratch off that hit.

I get what you are saying, invest high draft capital in a more "ready" and or "complete" ILB.  I just don't think our scheme is setup for a guy like that to be more impactful than say a Kirksey, Martin or even Summers.

I understand wanting a better DL to pair with Clark.  I just don't think we will draft high enough to find that kind of instant impact DL.  

It comes more down to two questions. Where do you really find that guy? How much are you willing to invest in that? The guys people fall in love with every year as college ILB prospects don't have a great track record. What is a FA going to cost? Any good examples of guys you WISHED we had pursued?

There aren't many good ILB in the league in the first place really.