Pettine's Gone, but Outpost is Back

MacReady

6 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Could have spent money on DL instead of on Kirksey. We have undrafted free agents playing as well as he played in the first couple games.  

What's the point of spending up on the DL if you're just dropping two of them into coverage on 2nd and 8?

5 hours ago, dwaye50327 said:

lol someone just asked Lafluer about this. His response, "we'll go back and re-evaluate". Such a cheap answer

Not sure why you edited MLF's answer to such a degree, but here is what he actually said.

“That’s something that, to your point, we need to go back and re-evaluate what we’re trying to get done. We never want to give up easy layups to the offense. I want us to be aggressive and go up and challenge the offense.”

Seems like a reasonable enough answer, and makes it clear enough that he wasn't happy about it.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

I'm trying to think of one time rushing three on third down worked. I can't. maybe someone else can? You know what does work on third down? Blitzing. 

Almost positive we got a sack on it early this year because I made a sarcastic comment about it in the game thread

FYI, this isn't one of my reverse jinx type things.  I legitimately think Pettine is a terrible DC. 

He does NOT have his players playing with any spirit whatsoever.
He does NOT gameplan for his competition.
Teams know that all you have to do is block Z and literally nobody else will win their one on ones.  Clark might help that, but so what?  Add one more player to block.

He doesn't let his aggressive corners come up in coverage.  That lining up 7 yards off the defenders crap against Tom Brady is inexcusable, especially considering it's been the look he's given all year. 

It really makes me wonder WTF the power struggle is in Green Bay.  Who TF is protecting Pettine? 

I'm in the "I understand the philosophy, but it's not working" camp (irrespective of whether it's the best defensive philosophy).  I don't think the system is bad necessarily, but Z, Preston, Gary, and Clark should be eating all except the very best o-lines alive.  They aren't.  And to me, that's the biggest problem.  Is that Pettine's fault?  I don't know.  Maybe?

Just now, Smidgeon said:

I'm in the "I understand the philosophy, but it's not working" camp (irrespective of whether it's the best defensive philosophy).  I don't think the system is bad necessarily, but Z, Preston, Gary, and Clark should be eating all except the very best o-lines alive.  They aren't.  And to me, that's the biggest problem.  Is that Pettine's fault?  I don't know.  Maybe?

Whose fault could it be?  

Just now, Outpost31 said:

Good God.  Name defenses with a shutdown corner and an elite EDGE and DL who suck this bad.

Like literally that is an open challenge to anyone.  

Name a defense this bad with at least an elite edge and shutdown corner.... Its not like Kevin King, or Chandon Sullivan are slouches either. Something just isn't right with this scheme IMO. 

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

Whose fault could it be?  

Undisclosed injuries to all of them simultaneously and continuously that are invisible to the naked eye, vaunted d-line and OLB coaches who somehow aren't getting their groups ready to play despite years of continued success, a nefarious scheme by an alien race to undermine the sanctity of one of the most respected institutions in worldwide sports thus beginning intergalactic domination by way of death from a million paper cuts, a bunch of Yokos hired by the Vikings to undermine GB's success, Pettine.

There are lots of choices.  Really difficult identifying which one it might be.

• Like 1