Pettine's Gone, but Outpost is Back

MacReady

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Missing talent at 3T, 5T, both ILB spots, and a fill in at slot corner puts this defense in a bad spot against a number of looks. 

Agreed, but do bear in mind that technically the Smiths are 5T. The bigger issue is, has, and always will be the gaping hole at 3T; you don't have to worry too much about a fill-in slot corner if you've got talent at the 3T. It's like this organization doesn't even care about solidifying the IDL outside of Kenny and I can't blame Pettine for that.

I'm sticking by my stance of giving Pettine another year with legitimate talent at the 3T. Without talent at the 3T, it doesn't matter who the DC may be - they will fail.

Edited by Joe

So it seems many fans want Pettine gone.  I’m Switzerland about it and don’t really have a hard and fast opinion either way.  Hypothetically, if Pettine is sacked, who’s out there that would do any better and quickly?  I’ve heard Dan Quinn’s name brought up in other forums and he does have a history with MLF, but his defense with the Falcons was terrible.  Maybe if he was just a D coordinator again he might be better, but honestly, he doesn’t thrill me.

So who’s available to replace Pettine that’s worth a damn?

2 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

So it seems many fans want Pettine gone.  I’m Switzerland about it and don’t really have a hard and fast opinion either way.  Hypothetically, if Pettine is sacked, who’s out there that would do any better and quickly?  I’ve heard Dan Quinn’s name brought up in other forums and he does have a history with MLF, but his defense with the Falcons was terrible.  Maybe if he was just a D coordinator again he might be better, but honestly, he doesn’t thrill me.

You could let Gray do it for the rest of the year, if he has any interesting ideas.  Then if that doesn't work out you can reassess. Pettine just doesn't have it, he's at the bottom of the curve creative wise at this point.

6 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

I’m seeing this as Pettine’s last season to make his case, we had some high points from our defense last year and fans are predictably over reacting after a loss.  The D was not the primary reason things fell apart in Tampa.  

With that being said, MP was not a LaFleur hire and it seemed like he was pushed  onto a young coach trying to get his first big gig. I don’t see any reason he would stay loyal if we don’t see results this year.  Barring total collapse and possible infidelity with Mrs. LaFleur, there is no way MP gets canned mid season. If anything, it’s just not a good time to try to find someone to take the wheel when we still have very real chances this year to make some noise. 

Edited by Refugee

17 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Missing talent at 3T, 5T, both ILB spots, and a fill in at slot corner puts this defense in a bad spot against a number of looks. 

If you put an all pro at every position @Outpost31 could coach this D to top 5 status. There are numerous less talented defenses in the NFL that play better. Try and tell me that Colts defense is more talented than ours, and up until last weekend, they were one of the best in the NFL. There's a salary cap, every team is going to have 2-3 holes on both sides of the ball.

• Like 3

Just now, Packerraymond said:

If you put an all pro at every position @Outpost31 could coach this D to top 5 status. There are numerous less talented defenses in the NFL that play better. Try and tell me that Colts defense is more talented than ours, and up until last weekend, they were one of the best in the NFL. There's a salary cap, every team is going to have 2-3 holes on both sides of the ball.

If I literally told all the players on defense to communicate and play the defense they want to play this defense is better. 

I can tell you right now Preston Smith would rush more, Jaire and Kevin would press receivers more, Kenny wouldn't drop into ****ing coverage and they'd send an occasional ****ing blitz.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Totally get it. I'm watching the All-22 now and this thing was a disaster. I think Pettine decided he was going to try and out-exotic Brady and just ended up shooting himself in the foot. 

• Like 1

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

Totally get it. I'm watching the All-22 now and this thing was a disaster. I think Pettine decided he was going to try and out-exotic Brady and just ended up shooting himself in the foot. 

Make a big long post about how Pettine sucks and tag all the doubters and I will give you a thousand likes. 

• Like 2

Just now, snackattack said:

I am pretty sure it will take a super bowl victory to save pettine at this point. We will probably not make a change mid season, but i think the team leadership is wary not to allow the same leash capers had

Only way a Pettine defense wins the Super Bowl is if there's no way. 

16 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

He's nuclear, but Greg Williams and Gase are going at it for the Jets right now.  If he comes free, at least we would have an aggressive DC.  

The more likely candidate would be internal.  Jerry Gray comes to mind as does Mike Smith.  

...if we are just putting names out there.