Pettine's Gone, but Outpost is Back

MacReady

4 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

He's nuclear, but Greg Williams and Gase are going at it for the Jets right now.  If he comes free, at least we would have an aggressive DC.  

The more likely candidate would be internal.  Jerry Gray comes to mind as does Mike Smith.  

...if we are just putting names out there.  

Absolutely no thank you to Gregg Williams.

5 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

He's nuclear, but Greg Williams and Gase are going at it for the Jets right now.  If he comes free, at least we would have an aggressive DC.  

The more likely candidate would be internal.  Jerry Gray comes to mind as does Mike Smith.  

...if we are just putting names out there.  

Man, I just think Williams is just too damaged to be a good fit in GB.  As you said, he’s nuclear.

9 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Absolutely no thank you to Gregg Williams.

7 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Man, I just think Williams is just too damaged to be a good fit in GB.  As you said, he’s nuclear.

I can't see him working out here, either.  Just pointing out a name and someone who would run an aggressive defense.

27 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I can't see him working out here, either.  Just pointing out a name and someone who would run an aggressive defense.

I think if anything, the lack of proven, successful D coordinator’s in the league shows why Williams is still employed in the league.  If a dbag like him can keep a job it means there aren’t many great options.

• Like 1

Just now, Sasquatch said:

I think if anything, the lack of proven, successful D coordinator’s in the league shows why Williams is still employed in the league.  If a dbag like him can keep a job it means there aren’t many great options.

I think it has more to do with the NFLs severe lack of creativity, cronyism, and sprinkle in a fair share of  good old fashion nepotism. 

• Like 1

I tend to think Lafleur/Gute would bring in an up-and coming younger defensive mind, as opposed to recycling somebody that’s floated around the league for years. That written, I don't have any names to toss out because I don't have a clue who that might be. Maybe somebody from college like Jim Leonhard?

Edited by JQ1

41 minutes ago, JQ1 said:

I tend to think Lafleur/Gute would bring in an up-and coming younger defensive mind, as opposed to the older guys, established guys. That written, I don't have any names to toss out because I don't have a clue who that might be. Maybe somebody from college like Jim Leonhard?

Yup, mentioned him as a possibility before.  Young like LF, aggressive and been doing a great job with the Badgers.  Only problem, what would the Badgers do if he went to the Packers?!

29 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Yup, mentioned him as a possibility before.  Young like LF, aggressive and been doing a great job with the Badgers.  Only problem, what would the Badgers do if he went to the Packers?!

No doubt! I guess Chryst would just have to mine another aggressive, young mastermind from Wisconsin to run his defense!   ( - ; #

Seriously, if Leonhard is "the real deal," and his practices and philosophy will translate to the NFL, it's probably a matter of time before somebody poaches him. It may as well be the Packers. Or some college program could hire him as a head coach.

Edited by JQ1

I'm with the camp that believes this is the make or break year for Pettine. I don't hold all of Tampa on him since clearly the team decided to just suck at everything. That being said we do see some trends. I also found it interesting that Rex Ryan was on Get Up, and said he has no idea what defense Pettine is running, because he's never seen anything like it, and hes the one that taught him. So I don't know if its just personnel, or stubbornness? Either way, hes on the clock.

Edited by Toddfather
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, JQ1 said:

I tend to think Lafleur/Gute would bring in an up-and coming younger defensive mind, as opposed to recycling somebody that’s floated around the league for years. That written, I don't have any names to toss out because I don't have a clue who that might be. Maybe somebody from college like Jim Leonhard?

I don't see this. THey have a borderline championship team with an aging HOF QB. I don't think they roll the dice on someone making the jump to the pros. I'd guess they'd hire someone more known. 

3 minutes ago, chillparsi1 said:

I don't see this. THey have a borderline championship team with an aging HOF QB. I don't think they roll the dice on someone making the jump to the pros. I'd guess they'd hire someone more known. 

They better hire someone less known.

If there’s a defensive coordinator who is available, they’re available because they suck.

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

They better hire someone less known.

If there’s a defensive coordinator who is available, they’re available because they suck.

Not necessarily. Could always have a successful DC turned failed HC get fired. Plus sometimes good DCs come available after the HC gets fired. 

12 minutes ago, chillparsi1 said:

Not necessarily. Could always have a successful DC turned failed HC get fired. Plus sometimes good DCs come available after the HC gets fired. 

Like Pettine for example? I'm not a big fan of Pettine's style of defense, but changing DC now? I can't see the benefit.