Jump to content
Outpost31

Pettine Sucks Fire Pettine

Recommended Posts

Savage starting each play in the locker room is an interesting formation.  Seems to be right in line with everyone talking about this defense playing scared.  

 

Edited by KFP7
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Somebody really has to tag Beast.

took me 20 minutes to figure out how to post an image.  I'll look into tags some other day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, KFP7 said:

Savage starting each play in the locker room is an interesting formation.  Seems to be right in line with everyone talking about this defense playing scared.  

 

Omg, In one of those shots Savage is 25 yards off the ball.  I wonder he’s not making plays. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, KFP7 said:

took me 20 minutes to figure out how to post an image.  I'll look into tags some other day.

I use the following algorithm to remember how:

Step 1: Type the "@" key

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

But I remember everybody complaining than about Capers when he turned our defense into a 3-4....

I still don’t like 3-4 defenses purely for aesthetic reasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

But I remember everybody complaining than about Capers when he turned our defense into a 3-4....

No complaining from me, then again I wasn't here when that change was made; but Dom's first couple years were great, then he crapped the bed because he started getting cute moving away from what was working. Such isn't the case with Pettine so much as it is the fact that he's not employing our pass rush the way he should. We've had little change in our personnel from last year to this year so there's no excuse to change things up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I still don’t like 3-4 defenses purely for aesthetic reasons.

We don't really play that though do we? I mean not like a true Pitt style. Do we count Z and Smith as ends or OL'B's? most of the time we run a 4x1 ILB here and there we have 2 ILB on the field. I don't get it really we are just so weak up the middle. WE play pass all the time and soft pass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Joe said:

No complaining from me, then again I wasn't here when that change was made; but Dom's first couple years were great, then he crapped the bed because he started getting cute moving away from what was working. Such isn't the case with Pettine so much as it is the fact that he's not employing our pass rush the way he should. We've had little change in our personnel from last year to this year so there's no excuse to change things up. 

I don't recall allot of complaining when Capers changed the D. Most were in favor for it at the time as a change was needed. Dom had his faults but at all of his stops his defenses improved greatly.

Dom runs more of a traditional 3-4 over what Pettine does though. Pettine came up in Ryan's system but who the hell really knows what he runs seems to just be so very passive these days.

Totally agree though Craig with both Capers and Pettine.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I use the following algorithm to remember how:

Step 1: Type the "@" key

you know, I think I may be able to handle this workflow. @incognito_man   BOOM.  Those were some good instructions

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Joe said:

No complaining from me, then again I wasn't here when that change was made; but Dom's first couple years were great, then he crapped the bed because he started getting cute moving away from what was working. Such isn't the case with Pettine so much as it is the fact that he's not employing our pass rush the way he should. We've had little change in our personnel from last year to this year so there's no excuse to change things up. 

I remember it because Aaron Kampman (who was a DE) found it difficult in adjusting to the new alignment....He would eventually leave GB and move on to Jacksonville....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, PACKRULE said:

I don't recall allot of complaining when Capers changed the D. Most were in favor for it at the time as a change was needed. Dom had his faults but at all of his stops his defenses improved greatly.

Dom runs more of a traditional 3-4 over what Pettine does though. Pettine came up in Ryan's system but who the hell really knows what he runs seems to just be so very passive these days.

Totally agree though Craig with both Capers and Pettine.

 

Wow, you don't remember those complaining they wanted to go back to the 4-3?....They were upset that Kampman (a DE) was ineffective in the 3-4 and was struggling with the coverage aspects that this style of defense encountered...

Edited by 40Year Pack Fan
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

I remember it because Aaron Kampman (who was a DE) found it difficult in adjusting to the new alignment....He would eventually leave GB and move on to Jacksonville....

Kampman was hilarious in the 3-4...

 

1 hour ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

Wow, you don't remember those complaining they wanted to go back to the 4-3?....They were upset that Kampman (a DE) was ineffective in the 3-4 and was struggling with the coverage aspects that this style of defense encountered...

I think the complaint was more or less a "why fix something that isn't broken," especially because they remember how good the 2007 defense was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want Pettine gone as much as most of you, but do we overestimate the talent on this defense? I feel like we have had the same conversation for almost 10 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Brad gluckman said:

I want Pettine gone as much as most of you, but do we overestimate the talent on this defense? I feel like we have had the same conversation for almost 10 years.

What parts being overestimated? The elite NT? The solid safety pairing. A couple very good EDGE players? Or is it the good-great CB duo?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...