Pettine's Gone, but Outpost is Back

MacReady

As someone who doesn't have that much X&O's knowledge, why don't we (or teams) play man to man on the WRs and rush the QB rather than play zone? We looked good doing it he last few drives, it seems in my mind to put more pressure on the QB and ask your guys to win which it seems suits us better.

Just now, Brit Pack said:

As someone who doesn't have that much X&O's knowledge, why don't we (or teams) play man to man on the WRs and rush the QB rather than play zone? We looked good doing it he last few drives, it seems in my mind to put more pressure on the QB and ask your guys to win which it seems suits us better.

The prevalence or rubs, stacks and motions. and the tightening down of PI and holding.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

What @HighCalebR said, plus playing man to man vertically is awfully difficult. 

17 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

The prevalence or rubs, stacks and motions. and the tightening down of PI and holding.

I have done some  defensive assistant coaching but don't pretend to be a pro expert by any mean. I believe HighCaleb is absolutely right about rubs, stacks and motions. In my mind another big factor was the absence of the two starting cornerbacks for Green Bay. With both Alexander and King on the bench, playing mostly zone is meant to protect the backups from giving up homerun tosses. The choice to go one-on-one did turn out well for the Pack at the end of the game; however, I think they were pretty much forced into using man-to-man in order to eliminate the easy catches in that last drive.

On 11/9/2020 at 6:48 AM, Outpost31 said:

This is legitimately my only hope. 

For YEARS I bought into the conspiracy that McCarthy held back certain things for the postseason.  And now I'm buying into Pettine doing that same thing.  I like to believe that Pettine is throwing out these vanilla defenses in the regular season only to actually do not dumb *** **** in the postseason.

It's a stupid thing to believe, but I'm still going to believe it because football seasons are too short to spend the entirety of them knowing your team is going to get blown out in the postseason. 

It’s really stupid considering the **** hammering San Fran on our d in the playoffs 

All it took was two backup quarterbacks in a row and the Packers climbed up to 15th in offensive points allowed.  

This is admittedly a good sign.  Especially considering Jaire missed most of the last two weeks and King has been out for a while.

If they somehow climb up to 10th overall in offensive points against over the final 7 games, my faith in our ability to win it all will be strong.

It will take three straight weeks of everybody being locked in, but it could happen.  There’s always those outliers... 2007 Giants, 2009 Saints, 2011 Giants... Teams with the TALENT on defense who put it together during their postseason run.      It could happen.

The Bears are the last team on our schedule.  If we could somehow give them a beat down and give our defense a morale boost heading into the postseason, there would be a very strong chance.

I mean... Fire Pettine.