Pettine's Gone, but Outpost is Back

MacReady

Yes let's get to the next defensive coordinator already, so we can ***** about the new defensive coordinator needs to be fired as well...

When is the last time we didn't ***** about needing to fire the defensive coordinator... it's a Packers tradition, and probably continue for the next 5 coordinators at least.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Beast said:

Yes let's get to the next defensive coordinator already, so we can ***** about the new defensive coordinator needs to be fired as well...

When is the last time we didn't ***** about needing to fire the defensive coordinator... it's a Packers tradition, and probably continue for the next 5 coordinators at least.

I hear ya. But Dom should have been fired after that San Fran playoff fiasco where he failed to prepare the defense for the read option. 

12 minutes ago, Beast said:

You’re talking about a coordinator the head coach has vocally expressed some doubt about.

1 hour ago, Norm said:

It's hard to convince me that taking a big lead around the time the defense turned is a coincidence. Before that they had looked pretty good, the play before half with no contain sticks out but that was a mistake by King iirc.

I'm not thrilled with it but I'm not going to be upset until I see look like that longer than when we started to cruise on offense. 

Being snake bitten by this happening in the past obviously doesn't help our view here.

The only reason this defensive performance isn't a huge issue is the fact that MLF and Rodgers kept their foot on the gas in the fourth quarter and scored TD's instead of FG's.

The offense saved the defense in the game.

Look.  We have a highly drafted EDGE, two big EDGE FA signings.  As solid a secondary as there is in the NFL and now we have a MLB that can actually cover.

Yet we didn't put them in a position to make plays.  Instead we played an "Ole" defense and allowed large, fast plays for TD's.

I wouldn't be on the defense so much if they were giving up 5 yard or 8 yard runs that kill the clock.  But we were playing a soft defense designed to not give up big plays and we still gave up big plays.  That's on Pettine.  He needs to be better if this team is going anywhere.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

You’re talking about a coordinator the head coach has vocally expressed some doubt about.

Wrong, I was talking about all the defensive coordinates... it's the NFL with rules favoring the offense and we as Packers fans will be whining little ******* complaining about the defensive coordinator whomever is the coordinator... you have proven to be the poster child.

4 minutes ago, Beast said:

Wrong, I was talking about all the defensive coordinates... it's the NFL with rules favoring the offense and we as Packers fans will be whining little ******* complaining about the defensive coordinator whomever is the coordinator... you have proven to be the poster child.

I actually defended Dom Capers until his final year here.  Was that the right idea?

13 minutes ago, Beast said:

Let it go, man.

We are Packer fans.  We expect more.  Right now we have a DC who was abused by the 49ers last year.  But, managed a few key stops in the year that won us games.  Multiple games.  Our HC wondered about retaining him in the off-season and now after week one says he needs to review the film and see why the defense went so lax in the 4'th.

It isn't like Outpost is making this stuff up.

You are a smart poster.  We've invested a lot in the defense and deserve better than what was out there in the 4'th quarter yesterday.  And so do the players.  And I'm not saying Pettine isn't capable of delivering it.  But he needs to do better.  In my mind, he needs to trust his secondary more, because if you can't trust this one, then you can't trust any secondary.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

The only reason this defensive performance isn't a huge issue is the fact that MLF and Rodgers kept their foot on the gas in the fourth quarter and scored TD's instead of FG's.

Again, this assumes the defense plays identically whether or not the offense was rolling. When the game was tight, they played well, when we started to build a big lead and the game felt out of reach, they had gaffs and gave up points. Idk why I'm forced to believe they are who they are during that time and not when the game was close, which was a much longer period of the game as well.

I'm not thrilled with how the 4th went but it's the first game in a weird off season that we played well on D the majority of the game. I'm not trying to have endless flashbacks of past horrors just yet

Edited by Norm

Just now, Norm said:

Again, this assumes the defense plays identically whether or not the offense was rolling. When the game was tight, they played well, when we started to build a big lead and the game felt out of reach, they had gaffs and gave up points. Idk why I'm forced to believe they are who they are during that time and not when the game was close, which was a much longer period of the game as well.

I don't know, Norm.  Usually when a team gets a big lead, they let their dogs eat.  Send the rushers, get after the QB and play some defenses that "trap" offenses and look for turnovers.

We did none of that.  We played a soft, base defense with no twists, stunts...etc.  And we were torched.

Usually DC's love to get to a point in the game when they can just let their dogs eat.  And we neutered ours instead.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Beast said:

I really liked Jim Bates and we should've never let him walk...

6 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

We are Packer fans.  We expect more.  Right now we have a DC who was abused by the 49ers last year.  But, managed a few key stops in the year that won us games.  Multiple games.  Our HC wondered about retaining him in the off-season and now after week one says he needs to review the film and see why the defense went so lax in the 4'th.

This....

The only way I give Pettine any sort of pass this year is if Kenny is out for significant time and we get gashed in the run game as a result. It's no secret that our IDL is Kenny Clark and nobody else; that's on the GM and I'll throw MLF in there because we've had multiple opportunities to draft IDL that would transform this team. This is yet another area in which trading up for Jordan Love was problematic because we gave up a 4th where we could've drafted Deguara just like we could've drafted Dillon in the 3rd and I like Deguara and Dillon as I've said. However, with Madubuike, Hamilton, and Elliott on the board, we could've taken any of those guys at 62 and not have to worry about IDL. We KNOW that MAdams is a bust, we KNOW that Lowry and Lancaster are short-term rotational bodies, and we KNOW that Keke needs to develop more. We made little attempt to sign someone in the offseason as well.

We needed better IDL three years ago, we're still waiting...

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

We did none of that.  We played a soft, base defense with no twists, stunts...etc.  And we were torched.

Usually DC's love to get to a point in the game when they can just let their dogs eat.  And we neutered ours instead.

It was reminiscent of the 2nd half of the 2011 loss to the Giants...

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

I don't know, Norm.  Usually when a team gets a big lead, they let their dogs eat.  Send the rushers, get after the QB and play some defenses that "trap" offenses and look for turnovers.

Fair enough. Hopefully something is learned from that, especially when they know how deadly we can possibly be on offense

1 minute ago, Joe said:

reminiscent of the 2nd half of the 2011 loss to the Giants...

See, too many flashbacks about something nearly a decade ago of which nothing on this team on that side of the ball remains. 

I'm still sticking to waiting a bit, if this happens half way through the season I'll be concerned.

Edited by Norm