Pettine's Gone, but Outpost is Back

MacReady

7 minutes ago, Norm said:

See, too many flashbacks about something nearly a decade ago of which nothing on this team on that side of the ball remains. 

I'm still sticking to waiting a bit, if this happens half way through the season I'll be concerned.

Different players, but Pettine took a very similar approach and the result was very similar...

"The Vikings had the fourth-most-efficient passing attack (in terms of EPA per play) a year ago with Kevin Stefanski at the helm, and against Green Bay, that same unit — minus Stefanski and Stefon Diggs — looked anemic. In the first three quarters, Minnesota produced -0.61 EPA per pass play, by far the worst of the week thus far."

From PFF. We're really complaining about the defense yesterday? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

"The Vikings had the fourth-most-efficient passing attack (in terms of EPA per play) a year ago with Kevin Stefanski at the helm, and against Green Bay, that same unit — minus Stefanski and Stefon Diggs — looked anemic. In the first three quarters, Minnesota produced -0.61 EPA per pass play, by far the worst of the week thus far."

This, it's like people can only remember the last quarter of football they watched, everything else erased from memory

• Like 2

Just now, Norm said:

This, it's like people can only remember the last quarter of football they watched, everything else erased from memory

Prevent sucks, I hate that it's still a thing. I hate even more that people judge a defense that played 3 excellent quarters by the one Q they play prevent. It's not just our fan base either.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Prevent sucks, I hate that it's still a thing. I hate even more that people judge a defense that played 3 excellent quarters by the one Q they play prevent. It's not just our fan base either.

For sure. I have confidence that when if the offense isn't humming late, we play better there. We felt the win and ended up on our heels a bit, it happens. We won by two scores against a rival on the road regardless.

15 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

It's not fun to watch but in the scenario where you're up 17 with 8 mins to play... it's actually the right playcall.

Jaire  just totally screwed the pooch by NOT playing prevent on the late thielen TD.  It still took a pretty amazing touch throw by cousins to drop it in the basket.

Savage gave up a horrible TD to thielen at the end of the 3rd, but re watching that, it might have just been a tough spot with him in man-1 coverage on their best guy and a really great route/throw/catch by the vikings

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

23 minutes ago, Norm said:

21 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

18 minutes ago, Norm said:

For sure. I have confidence that when if the offense isn't humming late, we play better there. We felt the win and ended up on our heels a bit, it happens. We won by two scores against a rival on the road regardless.

Guess I don't see it that way.

I saw the game as a domination of the clock by Green Bay.  We held the ball, they didn't have it.

Early when they had it, Jaire had two great plays, no doubt.  Z came up with a big sack.  But I guess I didn't see the 3 quarters of play as dominant.  Maybe that is because we did not overwhelm their line like we did in the past.  And maybe that is because we didn't have to given the score and our time of possession.

And maybe we should just forget about the 4'th quarter.  But clearly the Head Coach is not, by saying as much in his interviews.

Me personally?  If I were to evaluate the game, I do not think we can play a better offensive game.  Maybe we could be better in the red zone.  Maybe we can not drop two passes for big gains, but really, that was a special offensive performance, and one of the best quarterbacked games that I can remember seeing. 

Specials, solid.  Though Scott still looks likes he's about to get his learning permit for Driver's Ed.

Defense?  Yah, we can do better than that.

10 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

It's not fun to watch but in the scenario where you're up 17 with 8 mins to play... it's actually the right playcall.

Jaire  just totally screwed the pooch by NOT playing prevent on the late thielen TD.  It still took a pretty amazing touch throw by cousins to drop it in the basket.

Savage gave up a horrible TD to thielen at the end of the 3rd, but re watching that, it might have just been a tough spot with him in man-1 coverage on their best guy and a really great route/throw/catch by the vikings

Yah, it's the right playcall if you do it right.  We did not.  We gave up chunk plays in a defense that should not have given up chunk plays.  And we couldn't get any pressure on Cousins, when the coverage should have allowed for pressure.

Jaire's stance was poor in the prevent.  

Savage looked like a safety trying to play corner.  Feet were taking him one way, eyes leading him in another.  If I'm an OC in the division, I'm drawing up plays to get him on man coverage when it counts.  He needs to progress there, and I feel like he can.  Though I would love to know who had deep help on that, as it looked like Savage was helping to the flat on the play and maybe Amos had the deep responsibility.  Not really sure on that one, but it was a great concept by the Vikings.

23 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Guess I don't see it that way.

I saw the game as a domination of the clock by Green Bay.  We held the ball, they didn't have it.

Early when they had it, Jaire had two great plays, no doubt.  Z came up with a big sack.  But I guess I didn't see the 3 quarters of play as dominant.  Maybe that is because we did not overwhelm their line like we did in the past.  And maybe that is because we didn't have to given the score and our time of possession.

And maybe we should just forget about the 4'th quarter.  But clearly the Head Coach is not, by saying as much in his interviews.

Me personally?  If I were to evaluate the game, I do not think we can play a better offensive game.  Maybe we could be better in the red zone.  Maybe we can not drop two passes for big gains, but really, that was a special offensive performance, and one of the best quarterbacked games that I can remember seeing. 

Specials, solid.  Though Scott still looks likes he's about to get his learning permit for Driver's Ed.

Defense?  Yah, we can do better than that.

I mean, I never used dominant and I never said we couldn't do better. I said it was week one and they looked pretty good the majority of the game.

2 minutes ago, Norm said:

I mean, I never used dominant and I never said we couldn't do better. I said it was week one and they looked pretty good the majority of the game.

To be fair, Norm, I have visions in my head of last year when the Smith's were constantly in the Vikes backfield, along with Clark, just destroying their line.

And that didn't happen this year, so that leads to some of my angst.  Pretty good is what I'd call the defensive performance prior to the 4'th quarter.

And without a pre-season, who knows, maybe those legs were a little bit like Jello later in the game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Let it go, man.

I did... 

Then someone picked it up and slapped it my face a couple of times...

I'm certainly not saying Pettine is perfect, or couldn't be upgraded if the right person comes available, but to absolutely excuse everyone of any responsibilities of doing their own job, and just blindly blaming one single person for a team is astronomically stupid as a Vikings fan promoting their championships.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Yes, because the defense is our step child, we Packers fans must treat them like ****, or your not a true Packers fan...

Even when they were the ones keeping us in games last year and our Super Bowl year... still got to find ways to disrespect them, they're our *******.

1 hour ago, Joe said:

I really liked Jim Bates and we should've never let him walk...

Probably only because he only lasted one season with the team. 

In fact his last 3 teams were one year and done... only time he spent more than one year as a DC or HC was Texas Tech 1980-1983 and Dolphins, 2000-2004. 

45 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

To be fair, Norm, I have visions in my head of last year when the Smith's were constantly in the Vikes backfield, along with Clark, just destroying their line.

And that didn't happen this year, so that leads to some of my angst.  Pretty good is what I'd call the defensive performance prior to the 4'th quarter.

And without a pre-season, who knows, maybe those legs were a little bit like Jello later in the game.

I'm really thinking with this off season that nobody should make too much of anything, that's always the case early, but this year even moreso. That's my feeling anyways. 

I obviously don't expect the offense to do that every week, I'm sure they'll have a stinker soon enough that will give us this same kind of conversation. I'm just saying it's hard to look solid all the way around week one is all.