Pettine's Gone, but Outpost is Back

MacReady

7 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

With what?

You're both right to an extent. Pettine made some really bad choices this year. His run fits border on nonsensical at times. His usage of Preston/Lowry/Lancaster was criminal. His coverage disguises are extremely basic. He doesn't trust his CBs at all. I don't know if you can win with a guy that does all those things.

Pettine also lacked the talent you want to see if you're playing anything heavier than a nickel. Z, Preston, Clark, Martinez gets you 4 bodies. You need 6 to play a nickel. That puts 2 of Goodson/Lowry/Lancaster on the field. Nobody is excited about that. The 49 were running 12, which means you have to put all 3 out there. They even ran quite a bit of 22 and 13, which it was abundantly clear that we were wholly unprepared for both from a schematic and a personnel perspective. 

The defense has issues. I hope they figured something out because I guarantee that we're going to get hit with a lot more of those heavy sets this year. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

With what?

You're both right to an extent. Pettine made some really bad choices this year. His run fits border on nonsensical at times. His usage of Preston/Lowry/Lancaster was criminal. His coverage disguises are extremely basic. He doesn't trust his CBs at all. I don't know if you can win with a guy that does all those things.

Pettine also lacked the talent you want to see if you're playing anything heavier than a nickel. Z, Preston, Clark, Martinez gets you 4 bodies. You need 6 to play a nickel. That puts 2 of Goodson/Lowry/Lancaster on the field. Nobody is excited about that. The 49 were running 12, which means you have to put all 3 out there. They even ran quite a bit of 22 and 13, which it was abundantly clear that we were wholly unprepared for both from a schematic and a personnel perspective. 

The defense has issues. I hope they figured something out because I guarantee that we're going to get hit with a lot more of those heavy sets this year. 

"Unprepared" would not be the word I would use. We are "unable" to do such and to be frank and honest, we did nothing to fix that in the offseason other than bring in Christian Kirksey(who we should've drafted when he was a prospect) to accept all the blame for giving up big run plays when Kenny and the JAGs in front of him get plowed this season...

...that kinda has a funny ring to it doesn't it?.....Kenny and the JAGs.......K-K-K-Kenny and the JAG's...

Seriously, we've ignored the DL and the ILB position and LIS before and will say again: we will be one of the worst run defenses if not THE worst run defense in the league this year...

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Joe said:

"Unprepared" would not be the word I would use. We are "unable" to do such and to be frank and honest, we did nothing to fix that in the offseason other than bring in Christian Kirksey(who we should've drafted when he was a prospect) to accept all the blame for giving up big run plays when Kenny and the JAGs in front of him get plowed this season...

...that kinda has a funny ring to it doesn't it?.....Kenny and the JAGs.......K-K-K-Kenny and the JAG's...

Seriously, we've ignored the DL and the ILB position and LIS before and will say again: we will be one of the worst run defenses if not THE worst run defense in the league this year...

No unprepared is right. It was pretty clear that the Packers had no idea how to insert a CB into the box with their base personnel. 

17 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

His coverage disguises are extremely basic. He doesn't trust his CBs at all. I don't know if you can win with a guy that does all those things.

For the DBs, did they run the same coverage in 2018 and 2019? As certain items seemed different, more cover 3?

What are your thoughts on the DBs? Especially King, Sullivan and Jackson, and can they be trusted?

7 hours ago, Beast said:

For the DBs, did they run the same coverage in 2018 and 2019? As certain items seemed different, more cover 3?

What are your thoughts on the DBs? Especially King, Sullivan and Jackson, and can they be trusted?

They ran a little bit more of the Cover-3 last year and they ran a little bit more man but Pettine is still a 2-high-safety man to his core. He does not like leaving the CBs on an island.

King is good. I don't think there's a secondary coach in the league that wouldn't love to have King as his #2 guy on the boundary. I think the people that believe there's a huge gap between he and Jaire are nuts. 

Sullivan will be interesting. He was playing more safety in his dime role than he'll be allowed to play this year when promoted to the nickel. I think he's got potential, but there are aspects of his game that limit his ceiling.

Jackson just seems toast to me. The game against the Raiders was just tough to watch. He doesn't seem like he has any confidence. Hopefully an offseason to reset and get his head on straight will help. 

• Like 1

Sullivan will be a guy to watch. Statistically, Packers most effective DB last year, but played only 33% of snaps. He'll be asked to play a bigger role this year. Jackson was burned deep twice Saturday for TD's by MVS and Lazard. Not a good start. 

On 8/15/2020 at 9:38 PM, Outpost31 said:

Mike Pettine I hope you are reading this.  Stop sucking.

I think Pettine has done well with the talent he has been given. Sure the DL had some disappointments last year. like Adams and Lancaster and the apparent slow development of Kingsley. What I came away with is the Smith's are very good as iare

Clark and Alexander and Amos and King and Savage.   Martinez was a good ILB but made way too many tackles after 50 yards. Burks is terrible and Summers never had much of an opportunity. I think and hope ILB will be a big improvement in 2020 and that Gary would have a better year. I still have hope an interior DL will come available and help on the inside. 13-3 does not equal DC sucks - not even close.  Getting too the NFC Championship game does not mean the DC sucks - again not even close.

14 minutes ago, gizmo2012 said:

I think Pettine has done well with the talent he has been given. Sure the DL had some disappointments last year. like Adams and Lancaster and the apparent slow development of Kingsley. What I came away with is the Smith's are very good as iare

Clark and Alexander and Amos and King and Savage.   Martinez was a good ILB but made way too many tackles after 50 yards. Burks is terrible and Summers never had much of an opportunity. I think and hope ILB will be a big improvement in 2020 and that Gary would have a better year. I still have hope an interior DL will come available and help on the inside. 13-3 does not equal DC sucks - not even close.  Getting too the NFC Championship game does not mean the DC sucks - again not even close.

We got to stop making excuses for everybody based on the talent around them. 

Pettine had a lot of talent on this defense

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

We got to stop making excuses for everybody based on the talent around them. 

Pettine had a lot of talent on this defense

In certain areas ... absolutely.  Couple areas talent wise are thin.  Up to him to figure out how best to get the most out of this defense.

Just now, coachbuns said:

In certain areas ... absolutely.  Couple areas talent wise are thin.  Up to him to figure out how best to get the most out of this defense.

Name a single top defense that didn’t have a weakness somewhere.

This excuse is infuriating to me.  

3 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Of course every team has an area of weakness ..  Some are just weaker at some spots and more spots than others.  Not rocket science.  That's what coaches are hired to do; figure out the best system to get the best out of their players ... otherwise they wouldn't need coaches.  Whatever teams has the best combo of talent and coaches usually wins.  Not sure what's so infuriating about that.

15 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

As well it should be.  I agree with your points.

If Pettine is so good, I'd imagine that he can come up with a solid run defense, given the group of guys that he has.