Pettine's Gone, but Outpost is Back

MacReady

11 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

See this is where I’m at.

Same as I was over Rodgers from 2018 to now.

Our defense is doing well because he started doing the things everyone wanted him to do and stopped doing the things nobody wanted him to do.

People who defended Pettine aren’t right.  People who piled it on Pettine were right.

Pettine was bad doing Pettine things.  Once Pettine stopped doing Pettine things, Pettine got better.

I saw Preston drop back once last night.  It turned into an important first down conversion in his zone, but it was only once (that I saw).

Pettine things don’t work.  I don’t care how gifted Preston is.  He should drop back sparingly on designed plays, not regularly as part of the defense.

Corners we’re playing man coverage more last night.

Savage has been playing where he can make an impact over the past 5 weeks instead of being kept deep twiddling his thumbs.  Lo and behold, 4 interceptions, a sack and significant tackles for him.

Pettine isn’t good.  LaFleur is making him good.

I thought Preston had a PBU late in the game on an out route. Could be misremembering.

Edited by Smidgeon

Aww man, I don't want to start getting excited for this D because I'm so used to being let down by them, but it's kinda hard for me not to talk them up with their play over the last couple of weeks. Only giving up 14 points to the #1 offense in the league and calling the perfect gameplan against Derrick friggin' Henry, Savage beasting it up and Gary looking like a studmuffin as a rotational pass rusher, what's not to get excited about?

I'm ready to be reminded in the coming weeks that Pettine gonna Pettine, but I finally have reason for optimism from this D that wasn't there all of the last 10 seasons, and if they really did start to click at the right time (read: if Pettine really did get his head out of his arse) after spending all that capital on that side with the way our O is playing, then, and I can't believe I'm about to say this, but this might actually be the year we do it, guys.

Win #2 for Rodg.

Of course, one game at a time and they could easily let me down before then (we've seen this movie play out time and time and time again), but man, it feels good to finally say I like what I see from this D, which has been our bane since 2011.

Edited by KManX89

Man.  Don't know what to say.

I can't imagine how much fun games would be to watch if we would ever actually try to get a team into 3 and out situations.

I have a love/hate relationship with Pettine's gameplan this week.  I saw where he did go heavy in the box to stop the run...and it didn't really work.  I did see where we went light in the box and it kindda worked.

I hated the soft zone that allowed Mitch to complete short passes at will.  I hated the missed tackles that allowed 2 yard passes to become 8-12 yard gains.

But there we were, with the game in hand when MItch tried to go downfield and we picked him easily.  Kind of like it was supposed to happen.

Petine making me both love and hate him at the same time.  Can't help but think it would have been "love/love" had we simply tackled better.

5 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

This helps. One area that improved over the course of the season

This still has me worried though. Is Tom Brady or Drew Brees going to get buckled down in the redzone? All a team needs is one game where our redzone D doesn't get the job done and a team is laying 30 or more on this D. I would rather play aggressive and put up with a splash play or two if it means creating 3rd and longs at a greater pace. Pettine probably knows a lot more then me though so who knows. 

27 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

This still has me worried though. Is Tom Brady or Drew Brees going to get buckled down in the redzone? All a team needs is one game where our redzone D doesn't get the job done and a team is laying 30 or more on this D. I would rather play aggressive and put up with a splash play or two if it means creating 3rd and longs at a greater pace. Pettine probably knows a lot more then me though so who knows. 

Oh I’ve been saying for some time I’m ready for Pettine to get rolled by a good offense in the post season but can’t argue with those results those weren’t all bad teams. Titans have a impressive offense.

Just now, Arthur Penske said:

Oh I’ve been saying for some time I’m ready for Pettine to get rolled by a good offense in the post season but can’t argue with those results those weren’t all bad teams. Titans have a impressive offense.

I may be wrong but IMO the most aggressive game plan we have played all year was the Titans game. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Petine making me both love and hate him at the same time.  Can't help but think it would have been "love/love" had we simply tackled better.

Better tackling would make a huge difference, but in truth I am curious how GB's missed tackle rate compares to league average.  The GB offense definitely benefits from it's share of missed tackles from opposing defenses. Just from the games I watch each week, it seems like there are a lot of defenses with tackling issues similar to GB's.