Pettine's Gone, but Outpost is Back

Ryan Wood -  Packers fans will rejoice over Mike Pettine‘s departure. Here’s the reality: Pettine is a good defensive coordinator. Long track record of success that, yes, extended to GB. Ninth in points last year. Ninth in yards this year. Was Pettine perfect? No. Is he good? Yes, he is.

13 minutes ago, Pugger said:

I just never cared for his passive/reactionary defenses.  Most of the better defenses today set the tone, not the other way around.

You never want to see a guy lose his job on a personal level but it was time to make a change.

There are those such as the Buccaneer's defense though who aren't against pushing the envelope when it comes to circumventing the rules....It also helps to have those (Suh) who enjoy and are good at intimidating  their opponent....Are these teachable traits?...Should further add, how long has it been since the Packers have had that domineering personality on defense who would be good at "setting the tone"?....And how long since we had a defensive player take the role of leader?....

4 minutes ago, Leader said:

Ryan Wood -  Packers fans will rejoice over Mike Pettine‘s departure. Here’s the reality: Pettine is a good defensive coordinator. Long track record of success that, yes, extended to GB. Ninth in points last year. Ninth in yards this year. Was Pettine perfect? No. Is he good? Yes, he is.

Wrong.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, VonKarman said:

I just want a guy who's under 45 years old. Tired of old dudes runing the defense.

Because at the arbitrary "old"age of 46 a person loses their ability to think and adapt?    Experience is a negative thing?

How about we go get the best coach without regard to age?  Ability to use analytics, teach, convey a consistent message are far more important than age. 

Find me a coach with a solid plan, gets his team playing aggressive, and effecting the opposing QB.  I want to see a team that is physical and rallies to the ball.   I dont care if that means the coach is 20 or 70 years old.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Those are who truly leak stories. people whose jobs are on the line have to wait for verification.

I mean, you throw enough **** at the wall eventually something is bound to stick.  What he "reported" wasn't exactly anything going out on a limb on.  And the timing wasn't surprising since I said shortly after the loss to Tampa Bay that we'd hear something Friday at the latest.  Add to the fact that he was asking for the ones with the blue checkmarks to credit him gives more credence that he probably doesn't have any real sources.  Don't think he's broken any real news stories.

6 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

Just don't want this to take ages. MLF must have already spent all week figuring out his options. We must have an appointment by this time tomorrow at the latest!!!

Nah, take your time. Who are we competing with? The bad teams have largely filled out their vacancies. Sucks, but it is what it is.

As for any remaining openings... where would a new D-Coord rather play? Some dumpster fire where talent is probably the bigger issue than coaching, or a defense that has all the pieces and was just in the playoffs (with one of the best offensive-minded coaches in the league)? If they choose some lesser team then that speaks to their judgment and we are probably better off without them.

I should think GB will be an attractive option for any DC candidate.  Offensive oriented HC who will let the DC run the show on that side. Several legitimately good players to work with.  Elite offense.  Elite QB.   It's not too often that a coordinator position like this becomes available on a team that looks to be a legit SB contender.

Edited by Mazrimiv
15 hours ago, Leader said:

Ryan wood and his takes are increasingly annoying me

Edited by Arthur Penske
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Ryan wood and his takes are increasingly annoying me

It's just an opinion for consideration. No cause to get annoyed.

He's right about the statistical standing though. Those are good rankings in somewhat important categories for a defense.

Edited by Leader