Pettine's Gone, but Outpost is Back

MacReady

Just now, Arthur Penske said:

Lol. People are allowed to not really like certain beat writers.

Did I imply you had to like the guy or his opinions?  No. Simply said getting upset (or annoyed to be specific...) isnt necessary......but hey, knock yourself out :)

5 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Lol. People are allowed to not really like certain beat writers.

What would actually be interesting to know is how Tampa or New Orleans stood in those rankings.
While our's werent bad - I bet theirs was probably better. Both defenses were ranked higher overall.

We lost to the better D IMO.
Could we have executed better? Yes. We didnt. Oh well. We move on and try to fix the wrongs and do better.

Edited by Leader

I never thought Pettine was a bad coordinator. There was alot of good things to like about him and his defences,

I have no doubt he would continue to do the job well with us but I think the timing was right to explore other avenues as his defences failed at the final hurdle for the 2nd year in a row. Kansas did something very similar by changing their defensive coordinator and the very next year they won the superbowl.

All the good stuff by Pettine's defence in the second half means nothing had he made the correct call near the end of the 1st half, had he done so then it would've been a completely different ball game entering the 2nd half.

I like the look of several defensive coordinator candidates available for LaFleur with a good array of systems and experience. I fully support the move, it is after all LaFleur's team and he need to have a defence that meshes with his philosophies and the offence.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Ryan wood and his takes are increasingly annoying me

Ryan Wood is the only good beat writer we have? Was literally the only one who used some context after Rodgers presser and wasn't like "OMG AARON IS LEAVING." Plus he's spot on with what Leader quoted.

The GB defense wasn't bad at all over the 2nd half of the season, and was actually crossing into "good" territory.  For myself, the King TD undid in one play all of the "benefit of the doubt" Pettine had been building up over the past two months.  There is a real possibility MLF is making a mistake by moving on, but I don't see where he had much of a choice.  Pretty tough for a DC on the hot seat to survive a play like the King TD when it occurs on a stage as large as the NFCC.

• Like 2

IMO one has to look at Pettine's failure as an organization failure falling primarily on Murphy (Gute was hired ~3 days before Pettine).

Capers and McCarthy fates should have been tied to one another, end of story. McCarthy stuck with Capers long enough to warrant this, when it was pretty clear to most on the outside that he should have moved on several years before he did. There is simply no excuse McCarthy should have been given an opportunity to hire a new DC if his leash was 8 or so games the following year. 

To allow McCarthy to hire a new DC, and by all accounts require a new HC stick with Pettine despite McCarthy's inability to hire any decent personnel on the defensive/ST side of the ball for 8+ years... that's the stuff of second class organizations. 

45 minutes ago, MuFF said:

IMO one has to look at Pettine's failure as an organization failure falling primarily on Murphy (Gute was hired ~3 days before Pettine).

Capers and McCarthy fates should have been tied to one another, end of story. McCarthy stuck with Capers long enough to warrant this, when it was pretty clear to most on the outside that he should have moved on several years before he did. There is simply no excuse McCarthy should have been given an opportunity to hire a new DC if his leash was 8 or so games the following year. 

To allow McCarthy to hire a new DC, and by all accounts require a new HC stick with Pettine despite McCarthy's inability to hire any decent personnel on the defensive/ST side of the ball for 8+ years... that's the stuff of second class organizations. 

Pettine had his faults and he surely had much more to work with than Capers, but Pettine is not a bad DC. Our defense is a big reason why we’ve won 28 games the last two seasons. But ultimately LaFleur’s looking for more than good. I don’t think Pettine’s time here should be looked at as a failure. That’s not to say he is above critique or doesn’t have his faults - because he did do some dumb, dumb things. I just think it would be a shame if anyone looks at Pettine as similar to Capers.

10 minutes ago, deathstar said:

Pettine had his faults and he surely had much more to work with than Capers, but Pettine is not a bad DC. Our defense is a big reason why we’ve won 28 games the last two seasons. But ultimately LaFleur’s looking for more than good. I don’t think Pettine’s time here should be looked at as a failure. That’s not to say he is above critique or doesn’t have his faults - because he did do some dumb, dumb things. I just think it would be a shame if anyone looks at Pettine as similar to Capers.

I'm referring to the undesirable and avoidable circumstances that led to LaFleur being stuck with a coordinator who he clearly did not see eye to with. Whether or not Pettine did well or not is separate. 

2 minutes ago, MuFF said:

I'm referring to the undesirable and avoidable circumstances that led to LaFleur being stuck with a coordinator who he clearly did not see eye to with. Whether or not Pettine did well or not is separate. 

While I do believe Murphy and Gute recommended Pettine, from everything I read LaFleur interviewed and decided to retain him on his own. Unless there is something out there that I have not seen.