Pettine's Gone, but Outpost is Back

MacReady

59 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

Facts are facts. Our defense has played well enough to win 17 out of our last 20 games. Isn't that the point? Is it perfect? No. Is it ideal? No. But geez we're whiney and spoiled. 

Cmon man you and I both know it's not good enough 

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Nobody has answered my challenge.  Nobody.

Can ANYBODY find me a defense with the same amount of defensive investment and the same amount of defensive production? 

You know I'm with you concerning Pettine.

But in regards to your challenge...top of my head...Vikings? (Not even counting the due on the COVID list (DL).

Yannick, traded a second for him.

Hunter, signed to a nice long term deal.

Kendricks, second round player, given a nice contract.

Harrison Smith.  First rounder, very good, highly paid.

Anthony Harris.  Playing on the franchise tag.

Barr.  12.7 on IR, not playing well before that.

Hughes.  First round pick.  On rookie deal.

Gladney.  First round pick.  On rookie deal.

That's about as close as I can get.  I still think that on paper, the Pack is better.  But this is best I can offer yah.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Beast said:

I might not be high road, but at least I'm not a hypocrite of blaming our red head step child for team mistakes while refusing to give him any credit for team success.

The idea that all the good things are the players and all the bad things is the coach is pure stupidity.

I don't feel you are a hypocrite.

But just look at the talent on that defense and tell me that they are pulling their own weight.  P and Z are studs.  Gary is an up and coming stud.  We got the ILB that our DC wanted (and who can cover), we have a very good corner and an elite corner.  Two safeties who are very good.  A monster inside.  (When healthy)

And we needed a pep talk at halftime against the Lions to turn it on?  We need our shutdown corner improvising a play to get a huge play?  

We let Kamara go full Bo Jackson Techmo/Excellent on us on one play.  Then we stuff Kamara despite them having two blockers on our two corners?  ...our corners blew that thing up.

There's just no consistency there yet.  Last night we won.  Great, and I am thrilled!  But their defense ouhit us.  They did more with scheme than we did.  It was pretty telling to me just how different they were on defense to us.

And it shouldn't be that way.  We have more than enough to really put the hammer on someone. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

we wish Pettine was Capers 2.0. Capers was ELITE when he had the talent to run his scheme.

He got just as bland as Pettine is now though. I like both schemes, look how fun it is to watch the Badgers play defense (that's founded in the same Ryan 3-4). We're just treating our defense this year like we're not talented in the back end. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

we wish Pettine was Capers 2.0. Capers was ELITE when he had the talent to run his scheme.

That's a bull$#!^ argument and always was. Capers has a fluke year in 2014 when NOBODY GOT HURT which is unheard of, yet he had a heavy hand in the drafts between 2012-2016 and it left us with....what? No pass rush, shaky corners, players played out of position with several of them cheering to gtfo because they know Capers' scheme is crap with several going on to play far better on their new team than they did in Green Bay(see Casey Hayward, Micah Hyde, Chris Banjo, Lawrence Guy). Capers was great the first 2 years then fell off a cliff in 2011.

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

He got just as bland as Pettine is now though. I like both schemes, look how fun it is to watch the Badgers play defense (that's founded in the same Ryan 3-4). We're just treating our defense this year like we're not talented in the back end. 

This...

I think we have a top-5 secondary, I really do. Kevin King is a bit spotty, but he's played much better already this year than he did last year, Chandon Sullivan is quietly pressing King to be the starter IMHO, Redmond had a bad game last night, but is solid depth IMHO, Jaire is an elite CB who we should be extending very soon, Amos and Savage have been the best backfield we've had since Collins and Burnett, and we have a ton of other DB's that are developing quite nicely and pushing for playing time. Even Josh Jackson has put in some good snaps this year.

6 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

has King even been bad? I feel like that's coming out of left field

Last year he was inconsistent, sometimes he's be absolutely great, other times he was missing tackles and giving up **** loads of yardage... 

Which some people want to blame on people other than King... as some say it was other players fault, and then of course the coach gets blamed, for any and all bad execution of said players.

I'll just say this. This is entertainment to me. I don't need to win 50-0 every week just like I don't need an album to have 12 perfect songs or a TV series to have 16 perfect episodes or a movie to be flawless. Some of my favorite albums I'll skip a song. Some of my favorite shows I'll skip an episode or even season. To me the 2013 season was more interesting/enjoyable/fun than the Superbowl year or the 15-1 following year. Give me the roller coaster. Obviously perfection is the goal that should be attempted to obtain but honestly that would be boring. I prefer the ride to the destination. I'd enjoy a scenic drive to my mother in laws house over a drive through the warehouse district to a stripper's house. That's just me. 🤷

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

has King even been bad? I feel like that's coming out of left field

Bad isn't the right word. He has some limitations because he's not twitchy. He's a long CB who's always going to struggle a bit on slants and against quicker WRs in general. In the right matchup though, King is a top tier CB. 

52 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I don't feel you are a hypocrite.

But just look at the talent on that defense and tell me that they are pulling their own weight.  P and Z are studs.  Gary is an up and coming stud.  We got the ILB that our DC wanted (and who can cover), we have a very good corner and an elite corner.  Two safeties who are very good.  A monster inside.  (When healthy)

And we needed a pep talk at halftime against the Lions to turn it on?  We need our shutdown corner improvising a play to get a huge play?  

We let Kamara go full Bo Jackson Techmo/Excellent on us on one play.  Then we stuff Kamara despite them having two blockers on our two corners?  ...our corners blew that thing up.

There's just no consistency there yet.  Last night we won.  Great, and I am thrilled!  But their defense ouhit us.  They did more with scheme than we did.  It was pretty telling to me just how different they were on defense to us.

And it shouldn't be that way.  We have more than enough to really put the hammer on someone. 

I don't believe the players are as talented as some others... do we really not have ability to improve the talent nlevel on defense? I'm not saying Pettine is great, hell I'm not even saying we should keep him... I'm fact we should probably release him, so we can ***** about the next coordinator already, and how they should be fired too...

But the ideas that 

• Talking **** that every mistake is Pettine's fault
  • No mistake is ever the players fault
  • Bitching that this wouldn't happen with some coach we can't sign

Is all bull****... to be whiny and complain because someone has a stick up their ***... 

Does Pettine have faults? Absolutely! But is every mistake Pettine fault? No.

And let's stop bitching about how Pettine isn't some coach we can't get, and if we're seriously, how about talking about some of the actually available coaches we might be able to get... otherwise this fire Pettine is just a gimmick to ***** and troll which is exactly how it's been used.

If someone was actually seriously about this, they wouldn't be whining about Belichick and other potential defensive coordinators we have zero chances of getting... so I'll actually do more to push the more Pettine out than the maker of this thread and actually put some names out there...

Elway has been extremely quick to fire his coaches when they don't win, would people have more interested in Vic Fangio should he become available, Packers know him well from his time with the 49ers and Bears. 

Dan Quinn should of been fired when he failed to promote LaFleur, but he and LaFleur have worked together and Quinn should be fired soon... any interest in him?

John Fox is out there. Matt Patricia might be soon.  

If we really do have such great talent, and everyone demanding aggressove play Wade Phillips is available. 

And I'm sure there are a bunch of guys that have never been a head coach that I'm not aware of that might be options to be head coach, but nope, we're talking about firing Pettine and looking as Bill Belichick in the defense of coordinator for the Ravens, which sure aren't going to be available...

Greg Williams of the Jets might be free soon if the Jets coaches are fired and he's ties to the Saints and some of what they do is deep and aggressive.

1 hour ago, Beast said:

I don't believe the players are as talented as some others... do we really not have ability to improve the talent nlevel on defense? I'm not saying Pettine is great, hell I'm not even saying we should keep him... I'm fact we should probably release him, so we can ***** about the next coordinator already, and how they should be fired too...

But the ideas that 

• Talking **** that every mistake is Pettine's fault
  • No mistake is ever the players fault
  • Bitching that this wouldn't happen with some coach we can't sign

Is all bull****... to be whiny and complain because someone has a stick up their ***... 

Does Pettine have faults? Absolutely! But is every mistake Pettine fault? No.

And let's stop bitching about how Pettine isn't some coach we can't get, and if we're seriously, how about talking about some of the actually available coaches we might be able to get... otherwise this fire Pettine is just a gimmick to ***** and troll which is exactly how it's been used.

If someone was actually seriously about this, they wouldn't be whining about Belichick and other potential defensive coordinators we have zero chances of getting... so I'll actually do more to push the more Pettine out than the maker of this thread and actually put some names out there...

Elway has been extremely quick to fire his coaches when they don't win, would people have more interested in Vic Fangio should he become available, Packers know him well from his time with the 49ers and Bears. 

Dan Quinn should of been fired when he failed to promote LaFleur, but he and LaFleur have worked together and Quinn should be fired soon... any interest in him?

John Fox is out there. Matt Patricia might be soon.  

If we really do have such great talent, and everyone demanding aggressove play Wade Phillips is available. 

And I'm sure there are a bunch of guys that have never been a head coach that I'm not aware of that might be options to be head coach, but nope, we're talking about firing Pettine and looking as Bill Belichick in the defense of coordinator for the Ravens, which sure aren't going to be available...

Greg Williams of the Jets might be free soon if the Jets coaches are fired and he's ties to the Saints and some of what they do is deep and aggressive.

I'd take a serious look at Jerry Gray, our secondary coach, too.

3 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Funny.  I was recently thinking this same thing.  I expect Capers at DC with with Clark, the Smith's, and this secondary would be doing better than this.

...I am also pretty sure I would be calling for Capers to be fired.

Edited by Mazrimiv