Pettine's Gone, but Outpost is Back

MacReady

5 hours ago, vegas492 said:

No offense to you, but I disagree with both of your points.

If you look at where we draft, I don't feel like you get an instant plug and play impact DL.  I find it much more likely that you find a guy with potential and groom him in our system.  Like Keke.  Maybe you can use free agency and find the right guy.  Guess I still feel like every team has guys like Lancaster and Lowry, but get more out of them, for whatever reason that is.

Regarding ILB, you may not "buy that", but it's the words out of Blake's mouth.  He knows better than you, or I or anyone else on here how the ILB is treated in GB.  I'd love a sideline to sideline guy who can also blow up the run game.  To be fair, the player you want is Burks.  And we see how that has worked.  At least he's now flashed in one game in coverage.  I wouldn't say that we didn't "invest" at ILB.  Blake was a 4'th round pick.  And that's a fine place to take an ILB.  And he was very solid.  We got "our" guy in Kirksey.  We've invested appropriately, in my opinion.  And we still have a scratch off lottery ticket in Martin.  Looks like Summers was a scratch off that hit.

I get what you are saying, invest high draft capital in a more "ready" and or "complete" ILB.  I just don't think our scheme is setup for a guy like that to be more impactful than say a Kirksey, Martin or even Summers.

I understand wanting a better DL to pair with Clark.  I just don't think we will draft high enough to find that kind of instant impact DL.  

Instant impact guys can be found just about anywhere in the draft. Mike Daniels was a 4th round pick for example. 

I think you're missing my point about ILB. I'm not arguing about what Blake said, what I am saying however is that Blake was not a good sideline-to-sideline guy. We need that guy and I'm not sure we have that guy at the moment regardless of scheme design. The fact is that until someone breaks out or we draft someone rather high(which I doubt will happen) we have a lack talent and ability at ILB, plain and simple.

If the Packers allow 7 points or less tonight they would crack the top ten in points against on the year.

If the Packers pitched a shutout, it would raise them to only 8th in the NFL.

They would have to give up 62 points tonight to drop to worst defense in the league. 

Last in the league?  Dallas. 

Dallas last year?  20.1 points per game, which was best for 9th in the NFL. 

Typically, you get a defensive boost your first year as a head coach. 

But this is Mike McCarthy. 

Mike McCarthy happened to bring the Cowboys from 9th overall at 20.1 points per game.  Didn't lose too many players, but in just four weeks he's got the Cowboys giving up 36.5 points per game. 

Luckily, we've got Mike Pettine.  Who was hired by? 

Mike McCarthy.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Mike McCarthy happened to bring the Cowboys from 9th overall at 20.1 points per game.  Didn't lose too many players, but in just four weeks he's got the Cowboys giving up 36.5 points per game. 

Gone from the 2019 Team with snap % played

Byron Jones -- 85% snaps
Jeff Heath -- 66% snaps
Maliek Collins -- 70% snaps
Christian Covington-- 44% snaps
Kerry Hyder -- 40% snaps

On 10/1/2020 at 2:39 PM, Joe said:

Instant impact guys can be found just about anywhere in the draft. Mike Daniels was a 4th round pick for example. 

I think you're missing my point about ILB. I'm not arguing about what Blake said, what I am saying however is that Blake was not a good sideline-to-sideline guy. We need that guy and I'm not sure we have that guy at the moment regardless of scheme design. The fact is that until someone breaks out or we draft someone rather high(which I doubt will happen) we have a lack talent and ability at ILB, plain and simple.

I do get what you are saying, but having sideline to sideline speed doesn't mean much when the scheme doesn't allow you to play to that strength.

Burks has speed for days.  And it doesn't work inside.

I'm not saying you are wrong at all, I think we all want another stud inside, or a great athletic ILB with instincts.

Give it a little time, I think Summers is going to surprise a lot of us.  Our ILB role is as much about pure instincts as it is anything else.  And I think that kid has the instincts.  I think he has the brains.  And he flat out hustles all over the field.  Hustle will put you into plays.  At least lets hope so.

4 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

If the Packers allow 7 points or less tonight they would crack the top ten in points against on the year.

If the Packers pitched a shutout, it would raise them to only 8th in the NFL.

They would have to give up 62 points tonight to drop to worst defense in the league. 

Last in the league?  Dallas. 

Dallas last year?  20.1 points per game, which was best for 9th in the NFL. 

Typically, you get a defensive boost your first year as a head coach. 

But this is Mike McCarthy. 

Luckily, we've got Mike Pettine.  Who was hired by? 

Mike McCarthy.

tumblr_o16n2kBlpX1ta3qyvo1_1280.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, squire12 said:

Gone from the 2019 Team with snap % played

Byron Jones -- 85% snaps
Jeff Heath -- 66% snaps
Maliek Collins -- 70% snaps
Christian Covington-- 44% snaps
Kerry Hyder -- 40% snaps

Add LVE to that as well. 

It's a small DL that's trying to protect undersized, fast LBs. It's failing miserably.

Missing their best DL, one of their key edge rusher, their best two ILB, 2 of their best 3 CBs go down during the game...

And HOW ******* DARE PETTINE GIVE UP 16 POINTS!!!!

FIRE HIM NOW... FIRE HIM NOW!!!! Hire that Texans Head coach to fill his roll, he can't be worse!

Damn, if we didn't have the worse defensive coach in the NFL right now, we actually might be 4-0 right now... it's all his damn fault that we're not!

9 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Ohhhh, not 100%, but it looked like LaFleur was yelling at Pettine on that timeout.  He was pissed. 

I noticed that too when it happened. That was my first thought but I couldn't tell if he was yelling at pettine or if he was pissed about something else and just yelling at nobody in particular.

Pettine was vanilla again, because he could be.  Julio was limping around in the second quarter, then out for the game.  We played our two safeties deep most of the time and gave them that soft zone.  Made them be patient.  Then those holes in the soft zone became tighter in the red zone.

Though I'm not a Pettine fan, he played it right.  And, I did like that we put 3 DL around the guards/center on running plays.  He did show a run defense.  We blew the edge a couple times in that set, but for the most part, it worked.

I liked the defense last night.  About the only thing I didn't like was the energy.  We would have a drive or two when we were flying to ball, gang tackling.  Then there would be a stretch when we just didn't do that anymore.  Guessing it was fatigue.

Overall, though, I'd say this was a plus game for Pettine.  And something to build on.

39 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Preston needs Clark back, and Gary for that matter. Hopefully a better group of guys around him will get him going again. 

I also think this is closer to the real Preston Smith to what we saw last year. The dudes a solid all around OLB but he is not a consistent 10+ sack guy. We just caught him in a career year last year. I think he is more of a  4 - 7 sack guy who also is good in coverage and against the run. 

• Like 1