Pettine's Gone, but Outpost is Back

MacReady

Packers rose 4 rankings in offensive points against with a very respectable 16 points allowed to the Falcons. 

Still at 18th overall, but I believe last year they hovered around 20th the whole year before they got a cupcake schedule over the final 6 games. 

Buccaneers, 49ers and Titans are the last three legitimate offensive tests for this team. 

With the Texans, Vikings, Jaguars, Colts, Bears, Eagles, Lions, Panthers and Bears remaining on their schedule, I see no legitimate reason why, with the talent we have on defense, we can't crack top 10 in points allowed.  Especially when current years average (23) is right now good enough for top 10 in the league.

22 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Packers rose 4 rankings in offensive points against with a very respectable 16 points allowed to the Falcons. 

Still at 18th overall, but I believe last year they hovered around 20th the whole year before they got a cupcake schedule over the final 6 games. 

Buccaneers, 49ers and Titans are the last three legitimate offensive tests for this team. 

With the Texans, Vikings, Jaguars, Colts, Bears, Eagles, Lions, Panthers and Bears remaining on their schedule, I see no legitimate reason why, with the talent we have on defense, we can't crack top 10 in points allowed.  Especially when current years average (23) is right now good enough for top 10 in the league.

With all that you are tracking and looking at...is it possible for you to check scoring this year through 4 games as opposed to last year through 4 games?

I'm curious is there is a COVID adjustment to be made this year...in regards to points allowed.  Like maybe the hard fast rule of points allowed historically needs to be inflated due to the year we are in.

28 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Only other team I worry about offensively here is the Colts simply because Rivers has shown a tendency to pick apart Pettine's scheme. He did it last year in the Chargers game even though we held them to some FGs. That Indy game is going to be a tough one. 

Just now, vegas492 said:

With all that you are tracking and looking at...is it possible for you to check scoring this year through 4 games as opposed to last year through 4 games?

I'm curious is there is a COVID adjustment to be made this year...in regards to points allowed.  Like maybe the hard fast rule of points allowed historically needs to be inflated due to the year we are in.

This really is a moot point though.  Yes, there's a difference in scoring throughout the NFL.  That is directly related to COVID. 

However, there are still teams better adapted and performing better on defense. 

54 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/NFL/scoring.htm

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

This really is a moot point though.  Yes, there's a difference in scoring throughout the NFL.  That is directly related to COVID. 

However, there are still teams better adapted and performing better on defense. 

No doubt.  I was just curious if the points threshold for a Superb Owl defense should be adjusted.  And if so, how much?

Just now, vegas492 said:

No doubt.  I was just curious if the points threshold for a Superb Owl defense should be adjusted.  And if so, how much?

Should be adjusted only according to other teams.

If the best defense in the NFL 30 years from now is giving up 30 points a game, you better be giving up under 40 if you want a chance to win a Super Bowl. 

• 2 weeks later...

Lol.

Pettine needs to be fired if we want to get back to having a chance on this season.

Otherwise it's going to end with a 24th-28th overall pick and another crushing blowout playoff loss.

I don't know how literally anyone can be okay with Pettine. 

Twice our defenders aren't looking for the ball.
Twice our DL has 12 men on the field.

31 points allowed. 

Since the game's over, I'm just hoping Pettine allows another 21 points so we can finally fire his useless ***. 

Edited by Outpost31