Pettine's Gone, but Outpost is Back

MacReady

Just now, VonKarman said:

Yeah, he should have thrown Pettine under the bus in a post-game interview.

Shouldn't have thrown him under the bus, but hold him accountable, hold the defense accountable. Light a fire under all of them. No one likes being called out in the media but sometimes thats what it takes. Every week on defense its the same thing "we'll go back and re-evaluate", obviously nothing is getting re-evaluated when its the same defense every week.

20 minutes ago, dwaye50327 said:

Shouldn't have thrown him under the bus, but hold him accountable, hold the defense accountable. Light a fire under all of them. No one likes being called out in the media but sometimes thats what it takes. Every week on defense its the same thing "we'll go back and re-evaluate", obviously nothing is getting re-evaluated when its the same defense every week.

I know we'd all like to hear LaFleur light coaches and players up in public, but it's just not the way coaches handle things these days.  Hopefully behind closed doors these coaches and players are feeling the heat from LaFleur today.  There were truly pathetic performances in that game yesterday.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

If the Niners boat race us again on TNF in a few weeks, I'm hoping that's the last straw with Pettine.

I’m a terrible Packer fan, but I want us to give up 40 to the Texans and score 41 and keep on doing that until there are no excuses and the heat gets on LaFleur for keeping him.

He cannot be the DC in January.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I’m a terrible Packer fan, but I want us to give up 40 to the Texans and score 41 and keep on doing that until there are no excuses and the heat gets on LaFleur for keeping him.

He cannot be the DC in January.

One has to believe that he and MLF are talking though corporately about what it is we want to accomplish. I hope not, but at the same time hopefully MLF is on him about what he wants. I mean the one thing I have always wanted is pressure. rushing 3 just never works.

2 minutes ago, PACKRULE said:

One has to believe that he and MLF are talking though corporately about what it is we want to accomplish. I hope not, but at the same time hopefully MLF is on him about what he wants. I mean the one thing I have always wanted is pressure. rushing 3 just never works.

I'm trying to think of one time rushing three on third down worked. I can't. maybe someone else can? You know what does work on third down? Blitzing. 

3 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

I'm trying to think of one time rushing three on third down worked. I can't. maybe someone else can? You know what does work on third down? Blitzing. 

Heck at least send 4. It does work sometimes inside the redzone with a zone in behind but rarely. Giving a senior like Brady that much time all day was brutal. I can understand a game plan where we take a wait and see approach as the game unfolds but even once we got our arses handed to us we still didn't get Brady on the ground.

2 minutes ago, PACKRULE said:

Heck at least send 4. It does work sometimes inside the redzone with a zone in behind but rarely. Giving a senior like Brady that much time all day was brutal. I can understand a game plan where we take a wait and see approach as the game unfolds but even once we got our arses handed to us we still didn't get Brady on the ground.

I'm sure there must be some metrics on the success rate of third down blitzes versus dropping 8. I've not seen them, but just casually observing yesterday's game, look at how it worked for Tampa Bay. For me passive defense is an oxymoron, like jumbo shrimp. Defenses should always be attacking the ball. No solitary receiver should ever get a free release off the line of scrimmage, with the CB is playing 10 yards off. If Out Post has an argument against Pettine this is it. The Packer's D is way too passive. Attack! 

Will it get burned once in a while? Probably, but disrupting the offense's game plan, and creating turnovers is worth it. I believe there is net value in being aggressive. It worked for Tampa Bay. 

(And, yes, the Packers do have plenty of talent on D!)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

I'm sure there must be some metrics on the success rate of third down blitzes versus dropping 8. I've not seen them, but just casually observing yesterday's game, look at how it worked for Tampa Bay. For me passive defense is an oxymoron, like jumbo shrimp. Defenses should always be attacking the ball. No solitary receiver should ever get a free release off the line of scrimmage, with the CB is playing 10 yards off. If Out Post has an argument against Pettine this is it. The Packer's D is way too passive. Attack! 

Will it get burned once in a while? Probably, but disrupting the offense's game plan, and creating turnovers is worth it. I believe there is net value in being aggressive. It worked for Tampa Bay. 

(And, yes, the Packers do have plenty of talent on D!)

Very much agree with this premise.

10 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

I'm sure there must be some metrics on the success rate of third down blitzes versus dropping 8. I've not seen them, but just casually observing yesterday's game, look at how it worked for Tampa Bay.

The best method I've seen to beating Brady - is pressure, sacks and/or QB hits. Hit him. Rattle him. Just like every other QB in the league - his passing will suffer. His MO - and the reason he's hung around healthy so long - is he gets rid of the ball quickly. He certainly cant escape the rush. We might not have the goods up front to get after him. It could be as simple as that.

15 minutes ago, Leader said:

The best method I've seen to beating Brady - is pressure, sacks and/or QB hits. Hit him. Rattle him. Just like every other QB in the league - his passing will suffer. His MO - and the reason he's hung around healthy so long - is he gets rid of the ball quickly. He certainly cant escape the rush. We might not have the goods up front to get after him. It could be as simple as that.

Got Clark to collapse the pocket and some pretty good edge rushers to keep the blockers busy. Then add a random safety/CB/ILB. Sack or hurry coming up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Got Clark to collapse the pocket and some pretty good edge rushers to keep the blockers busy. Then add a random safety/CB/ILB. Sack or hurry coming up.

Just posted a snippet of a PackerWire article dealing with this........

Edited by Leader