Pettine's Gone, but Outpost is Back

MacReady

Assuming the 49ers run all over them again. I wonder how much of a mental effect that will have on this defense. A terrible loss to SF on Thursday, means this defense has been smashed by the same team 3 different times and they know any RB can make them look like a HS defense. I wonder if its going to or maybe even already at that point now, where they just don't care on defense because they know whoever they play is going to run all over them. Pettine needs to go before this defense is completely lost mentally for the season.

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

WHO WAS IT THAT TOLD ME PRESTON SMITH DROPPING INTO COVERAGE WAS A GOOD IDEA BEFORE THIS SEASON STARTED?

LOOK AT WHAT YOU'VE DONE!

Before this last game, stats were presented that indicate he'd dropped into coverage this year as often as 2019. It was a flat line.
Dont know what his numbers were from yesterday....but I'll be it was more of the same.

I seriously get so mad.  I really have to work on it because in no way should football interfere with my life so much, but I get so furious seeing horse**** defense.  Like there was a terrible kink in my shoulder right by the neck all last night because of how furious I get seeing a terrible defense.

It's not even fun watching football anymore. 

It was still fun watching Capers try to get SOMETHING out of a **** old Matthews and Ladarious ****ing Gunter at cornerback.  Pretty sure Lenzy Pipkins had to start a few games, too.  Back when we didn't give him **** to work with.

Then Pettine comes along and after one year we give him Smith and Smith, Gary, King, Alexander, Amos, Savage, Clark, two first round defensive backs (Jackson and Jones) that he ruins and now you can add Kirksey (which was HIS guy), and then Martin and Barnes both. 

But his defense is worse than Capers ever was. 

Just now, Leader said:

Before this last game, stats were presented that indicate he'd dropped into coverage this year as often as 2019. It was a flat line.
Dont know what his numbers were from yesterday....but I'll be it was more of the same.

Like coverage I can get.  I can accept that.  Especially if it's disguised coverage on a blitz. 

It's him being lined up over a ****ing receiver or playing man coverage that makes me want to rip my own Goddamn head off and throw it at the television. 

Even if you disguise it I guess I would be okay with him playing man coverage sparingly against a TE or RB. 

Having him line up 9 yards from the LOS over a WR twice in one game before the ball is snapped?  Are you ****ing kidding me? 

Edited by Outpost31

Just now, Outpost31 said:

I seriously get so mad.  I really have to work on it because in no way should football interfere with my life so much, but I get so furious seeing horse**** defense.  Like there was a terrible kink in my shoulder right by the neck all last night because of how furious I get seeing a terrible defense.

It's not even fun watching football anymore. 

It was still fun watching Capers try to get SOMETHING out of a **** old Matthews and Ladarious ****ing Gunter at cornerback.  Pretty sure Lenzy Pipkins had to start a few games, too.  Back when we didn't give him **** to work with.

Then Pettine comes along and after one year we give him Smith and Smith, Gary, King, Alexander, Amos, Savage, Clark, two first round defensive backs (Jackson and Jones) that he ruins and now you can add Kirksey (which was HIS guy), and then Martin and Barnes both. 

But his defense is worse than Capers ever was. 

Depends on what you prefer, this team is a 12 play, 80 yard, grind it out and score a TD type of defense. Dom was 4 plays and 80 yards because the CB and S got confused and left a guy wide open streaking down the seam.

I could be waaaay off and someone here will no doubt let me know if I am, buuuut....

Is is not very predictable that the Packers have a tackling problem given they lead the league by a wide margin in snaps played in dime defense? It stands to reason that trotting out 6 DBs and playing smaller than anyone else in the league will always increase your likelihood of being a poor tackling team. Something tells me that the number of missed tackles will go down when the Packers bring their number of dime snaps into a more reasonable range with the rest of the league. I could be wrong.

9 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Like coverage I can get.  I can accept that.  Especially if it's disguised coverage on a blitz. 

It's him being lined up over a ****ing receiver or playing man coverage..... that makes me want to rip my own Goddamn head off and throw it at the television. 

I'll agree there and dont know how (or if) the stats were broken down to indicate usage. Dont think so. Think it was just total or gross.  He's a big guy and not the most nimble (IMO) when it comes to coverage in space.

Edited by Leader

Oh and fun fact, the Packers defense against the pass isn't as bulletproof as you'd expect it to be with 6 DBs constantly on the field...

The Packers defense is allowing a 109.8 opponent passing rating. That ranks 29th, ahead of only ATL, MIN, and HOU.

Maybe they should start throwing 7 DBs out there to clean that up.

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Depends on what you prefer, this team is a 12 play, 80 yard, grind it out and score a TD type of defense. Dom was 4 plays and 80 yards because the CB and S got confused and left a guy wide open streaking down the seam.

I strongly prefer Capers.

Part of the reason I defended Capers so long was because of the Could Be Worse scenario.  We’ve got it.

As bad as Capers was, his defenses always forced turnovers.  Always.  We’ve got I think 6 turnovers on the year?  It might actually be less than that.

For me there are just too many WTF moments. It was harder to pin directly on Capers right away because it was blown coverage from a revolving door of DBs

With Pettine it's just truly bizarre alignments and useage, run fits that have huge gaps by design, and sloppiness on all 3 levels. I'm usually not a big "fire the coach" guy, but it's pretty astoundingly stupid on every level.

10 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I'm tired of bend but don't break and turnover reliant defenses. I don't even get that being a legitimate approach as a defense. That's **** you do when you don't have talent. 

GB is:
31st in the league in INTs with 2.  HOU is last with 1.
28th in the league in fumble recoveries.
32nd in the league in total overall turnovers.

It ain't happening.

Edited by Leader

To put it all together, despite playing more dime defense than any other team in the NFL, and the massive handicap it creates in an effort to control the running game, all those extra snaps played by DBs have led to these results on pass defense...

Opposing QB rating: 109.8 (29th)

Opposing QB Completion Percentage: 71.5% (30th)

INT: 2 (31st)

Yards Per Completion: 8.0 (27th)

So despite setting themselves up to play the run with one arm tied behind their back, they're still terrible at defending the pass.

COMPLETELY BROKEN

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

When RBs are breaking into the 3rd level, missed tackles are created. It has nothing to do with being soft. That's just a cliche word to describe a bad defense. This defense isn't soft, it's at a disadvantage from the snap based on alignment and predictably. 

Sorry, but it is soft.  Watch any other decent defense and they play to the whistle.  That's how you get turnovers, you hit them until they hit the ground.  Our lack of turnovers reflects this perspective.  Our lack of blocked PATs on fumbled snaps reflects this perspective.  None of our DBs lays the leather, not one.  JA is easily our best tackler when Raven Greene isn't on the field. It's hard to watch, such a nice bunch of GENTLE-men.