Pettine's Gone, but Outpost is Back

MacReady

3 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

To put it all together, despite playing more dime defense than any other team in the NFL, and the massive handicap it creates in an effort to control the running game, all those extra snaps played by DBs have led to these results on pass defense...

Opposing QB rating: 109.8 (29th)

Opposing QB Completion Percentage: 71.5% (30th)

INT: 2 (31st)

Yards Per Completion: 8.0 (27th)

So despite setting themselves up to play the run with one arm tied behind their back, they're still terrible at defending the pass.

COMPLETELY BROKEN

Now do the run numbers

I truly believe that Firing Pettine and having Mike Smith fill the DC role could greatly help if they just stop playing those retarded coverages where you drop DL in to coverage. Preston Smith looked like he hates life yesterday maybe because he is being utilized in a way he knows he can't succeed. Pettine has lost the defense. The DL is awful Lancaster and Lowry are backups not starters. We need two DL not just one to vastly improve the Run defense and the pressure. I would serious consider attempting to make a trade with the jets for a 1st and maybe a 3rd for Williams if they would do it. That would help and then get bodies in for tryouts someone is going to be able to hold up against the run or just eat space. Bring in Poe see what he can do maybe he can just keep the LB clean that will help. 

1 hour ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Oh and fun fact, the Packers defense against the pass isn't as bulletproof as you'd expect it to be with 6 DBs constantly on the field...

The Packers defense is allowing a 109.8 opponent passing rating. That ranks 29th, ahead of only ATL, MIN, and HOU.

Maybe they should start throwing 7 DBs out there to clean that up.

That will happen when you play 10+ yards off of your man. Makes completing passes easy.

2 minutes ago, Striker said:

That will happen when you play 10+ yards off of your man. Makes completing passes easy.

I don't get that, maybe someone get enlighten me. Is is the scheme that makes these guys line up so deep or are they just afraid of getting burnt? Honestly I can live with them getting burnt if they are pressing by a better athlete at WR then giving up these short throws. Also too, why when its short down situations to include going into the endzone, why are the LB's playing like 5-6 yards deep into the endzone when the offense only needs 1 or 2 yards.

Good defense is the result of two main factors: good personnel x good scheme. They have a multiplier effect on each other. Good layers make the scheme better. Good scheme makes the players better. While we have a few good players on defense (Clark, Z, P, Jaire) most are mediocre (Jackson, King, Sullivan, Amos) and some are seriously bad (Lancaster, Lowery, M. Adams). How bad is it? We have two rookie staters at ILB. One was an undrafted FA, and the other a mid-round pick. The scheme is also bad, allowing receivers a free release off the line, giving up the short pass, rushing 3 on third and long, yikes!

Half the problem (scheme) can be fixed by bringing in a new DC. If a good DC is available, do it. The other half is more problematic. Coming up with a couple of good DL mid-season is highly unlikely. Get ready for teams to run us out of the stadiums over the next half of the season.

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

When RBs are breaking into the 3rd level, missed tackles are created. It has nothing to do with being soft. That's just a cliche word to describe a bad defense. This defense isn't soft, it's at a disadvantage from the snap based on alignment and predictably. 

Then change the frickin alignments and predictability!!  The players are not responding or performing. They aren't soft, right now the reality is they aren't very good.

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Depends on what you prefer, this team is a 12 play, 80 yard, grind it out and score a TD type of defense. Dom was 4 plays and 80 yards because the CB and S got confused and left a guy wide open streaking down the seam.

How did that style work yesterday?  This secondary is much better than before. This years team is at the very bottom of nfl in turnovers. It's not acceptable.

5 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

I think the biggest disappointments are:

-Clark-likely/hopefully just the injury not being right

-Preston- Not worth his contract, literally playing as bad as Gary

-Gary- anyone who followed the draft saw this coming. Looks like Tarzan plays like Jane. I get they wanted a big olb that could play all 3 downs over a pure pass rusher , but you sometimes you need to just take good players and make them work 

Other thoughts:

-King- we miss him but I don’t want to pay him. I feel like he’s the Nick Perry of corners. Too hurt too often. Let him walk and draft a guy

-Savage- in his defense he’s only played 1 game in a month. Didn’t here his name so that is technically good for a S but the counter is if you’re not going to use your safeties, why burn a 1 in them

I think to a person, all of these players would look better with a better Dline/more aggressive rush package.  Clark, Preston, and Gary would all look better if they weren't cleaning up the mess around them.

King is a good corner.  Injured more than I like, but when he's on the field, he's good.  Jaire and he make a good pairing.

Savage still needs time.  I feel like he's taking fewer poor angles, and safeties can take forever to blossom (see Collins, Nick).  

It's that Dline.  I'm convinced it is.

3 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

@Beast, Preston Smith is a cornerback. 

He lined up on Thielen or Rudolph?  Looks like Rudolph.  Split him out wide, identify man coverage.

My issue with the set is that it looks very easy to block.  Very easy to combo and get to the second level.

By splitting Rudolph out, it looks like they removed a "heavy" from our box and we replaced him with a "light".

Had we put a safety out there, I'll bet he motions back inside and now we've got a heavy on their side with still a light on our side.  Unless we can flip back to a zone and get the safety out of there for P.  But that is asking a lot from this defensive coordinator.

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I seriously get so mad.  I really have to work on it because in no way should football interfere with my life so much, but I get so furious seeing horse**** defense.  Like there was a terrible kink in my shoulder right by the neck all last night because of how furious I get seeing a terrible defense.

It's not even fun watching football anymore. 

It was still fun watching Capers try to get SOMETHING out of a **** old Matthews and Ladarious ****ing Gunter at cornerback.  Pretty sure Lenzy Pipkins had to start a few games, too.  Back when we didn't give him **** to work with.

Then Pettine comes along and after one year we give him Smith and Smith, Gary, King, Alexander, Amos, Savage, Clark, two first round defensive backs (Jackson and Jones) that he ruins and now you can add Kirksey (which was HIS guy), and then Martin and Barnes both. 

But his defense is worse than Capers ever was. 

What you (and I) are experiencing is more or less the inverse of being a Bears fan.

I dream of the season when I can sit back and watch our defense fly around the field in unison.  Just like they dream of a day when they have a competent offense.

K.  So I just gotta vent.....Nothing overly rationale here.

I'm soooo disappointed in Gary and Savage.  There is literally nothing that they do that we can't have with a 7'th round pick.  I watched about 3 quarters of the Panthers game and undersized Brian Burns was so much more active than Gary that it isn't funny.  There were real pass rush moves to go along with his acceleration and speed.  I haven't watched Sweat, yet, but it is safe for me to assume that he's better than Gary right now.

Savage is a nothing.  Only time I see him is when he's diving at an ankle and missing.  There isn't even solid tackling there.  I'm going to cause myself pain here and look at who was drafted around Savage's spot.  Wow.  That didn't hurt.  Except for Josh Jacobs and we weren't going RB in round one.  Dillard, Howard, Brown (WR Ravens), Sweat.  Abram, Tillery, Collier, Baker, McGary.

I despise seeing our defense get outhit in every game.  Last year we took it to the Vikings and Bears twice in the trenches.  We played with extreme intensity and energy.  We haven't had any of that since those games.

Pettine needs to go.  Maybe Thursday night will be it for him.  It's bad on so many levels this year.  

We should not look this terrible with the athletes that we have.  It is in a word.  Inexcusable.

Just now, vegas492 said:

K.  So I just gotta vent.....Nothing overly rationale here.

I'm soooo disappointed in Gary and Savage.  There is literally nothing that they do that we can't have with a 7'th round pick.  I watched about 3 quarters of the Panthers game and undersized Brian Burns was so much more active than Gary that it isn't funny.  There were real pass rush moves to go along with his acceleration and speed.  I haven't watched Sweat, yet, but it is safe for me to assume that he's better than Gary right now.

Savage is a nothing.  Only time I see him is when he's diving at an ankle and missing.  There isn't even solid tackling there.  I'm going to cause myself pain here and look at who was drafted around Savage's spot.  Wow.  That didn't hurt.  Except for Josh Jacobs and we weren't going RB in round one.  Dillard, Howard, Brown (WR Ravens), Sweat.  Abram, Tillery, Collier, Baker, McGary.

I despise seeing our defense get outhit in every game.  Last year we took it to the Vikings and Bears twice in the trenches.  We played with extreme intensity and energy.  We haven't had any of that since those games.

Pettine needs to go.  Maybe Thursday night will be it for him.  It's bad on so many levels this year.  

We should not look this terrible with the athletes that we have.  It is in a word.  Inexcusable.

Might want to check where Savage is lining up before you judge him.

He's been lining up so deep that by the time receivers reach him the QB has already completed a pass 15 yards downfield on a lot of plays.

If you don't put players in a position to excel and you're playing not to get beaten deep, you can't really judge Savage.

I can't confirm he's playing deep every play, but I'm pretty sure I literally never see 26.