Pettine's Gone, but Outpost is Back

MacReady

30 minutes ago, Kenrik said:

Light box? Played the pass? We're in our 3-4 base. We literally have a 5 man front. The only argument you could have is the safety could be in the box. 

It's 21 personnel. With a base defense you're still playing light without a safety in the box. 

1 hour ago, MrBobGray said:

Meme poo-posting aside, this game absolutely has to be a fireable offense right?  This is unconscionably bad defensive strategy.  THEY PLAYED PASS, ON THIRD AND ONE, WITH A LIGHT BOX, AGAINST A 9 MAN FRONT.  

Hey tell me if you can guess what's wrong with this picture?

1iPMP83.png

If so you too might be a better defensive coordinator than Mike Pettine.

I highly recommend you don't look in this thread if that upsets you. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

It is. The Vikings have 7 blockers. So that means 8 gaps. We only have 7 defenders.

When there are more gaps than defenders, you're playing light. 

I'm not going to pretend to know more than you but isnt the point of a 3-4 to have 3 fatties in there to have the ability to 2 gap?

1 hour ago, tredpack said:

I'm on board with a defensive coaching change.

After re-watching the highlights a few times. 

From my point of view,  Preston Smith is a huge a problem, he was getting totally destroyed in the run game. Don't know if its scheme or him just not having it. 

Excited for AGs cut ups..

I don't think it was Preston failing on the run D. I think he was holding the edge and the d lineman got pushed entirely out of the way in a "so bad it looks like someone else's fault" sort of way. 

28 minutes ago, Kenrik said:

I'm not going to pretend to know more than you but isnt the point of a 3-4 to have 3 fatties in there to have the ability to 2 gap?

2 gap is kind of a misnomer. 3 men aren't expected to cover 6 gaps. It's the idea that the defensive lineman can cover a gap either to his right or his left based on where the double team comes from. 

2 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

Meme poo-posting aside, this game absolutely has to be a fireable offense right?  This is unconscionably bad defensive strategy.  THEY PLAYED PASS, ON THIRD AND ONE, WITH A LIGHT BOX, AGAINST A 9 MAN FRONT.  

Hey tell me if you can guess what's wrong with this picture?

1iPMP83.png

If so you too might be a better defensive coordinator than Mike Pettine.

isn't this the classic "hat on a hat (minus 2)" strategy?

Lol.  Who wants to **** on Blake Martinez’s 2019 performance now?  He literally said that he had zero gap responsibilities and was told to just clean up based on what Z and P did.

The man doesn’t even ****ING TEACH gap responsibility and people wonder why we can’t stop the run.

It’s just stupid ****ing logic.  If a team doesn’t need to pass, they can do whatever TF they want when they pass.

15 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Lol.  Who wants to **** on Blake Martinez’s 2019 performance now?  He literally said that he had zero gap responsibilities and was told to just clean up based on what Z and P did.

The man doesn’t even ****ING TEACH gap responsibility and people wonder why we can’t stop the run.

It’s just stupid ****ing logic.  If a team doesn’t need to pass, they can do whatever TF they want when they pass.

Nobody is still fighting you, are they?  I wanted this joker gone during the offseason.  LaFleur errored mightily when he chose to bring him back.