Pettine's Gone, but Outpost is Back

MacReady

Thanks to playing the San Francisco practice squad on a short week, the Packers defense jumped from 20th in points allowed to 16th in points allowed. 

Thanks to likely playing the Jacksonville backup QB, they will likely jump to 13th-14th in points allowed.

It won't ultimately matter.

The Ravens, Chiefs, Rams, Steelers and Buccaneers are all better defenses and will all score anywhere from 30-70 points against the Packers in the postseason. 

How is it the same guy who had top 5 defenses three straight years with one team and top 10 defenses with two different teams in five straight years during that span sh*ts the bed after years of our old supposedly-cherished DC sh*tting the bed and us letting him get away with it until we finally missed the playoffs?

How is it we STILL haven't figured out how to cover the underneath passes after all this time? 

Do we just have the worst of luck with DCs?

Is our DL outside of Clark really that p*ss-poor that the rest of our D can't make the plays they on-paper should according to analysts (our D was hyped by some as being arguably better than or at least comparable to Chicago and Minnesota's before the 2019 season with all our acquisitions)?

Is the ILB position a more pressing need than our FO gives it credit for (having 2 elite ILBs payed dividends for the Bucs and Steelers, but of course Gute turns a blind eye to that)? 

Do we just suck that bad at drafting defensively (damn near all our 1st-2nd round capital since 2012 was spent on D and STILL no results to show for it)?

If anyone can definitively tell me the answer(s), I'm all ears (or monitor).

Edited by KManX89

2 minutes ago, KManX89 said:

How is it the same guy who had top 5 defenses three straight years with one team and top 10 defenses with two different teams in five straight years during that span sh*ts the bed after years of our old supposedly-cherished DC sh*tting the bed and us letting him get away with it until we finally missed the playoffs?

How is it we STILL haven't figured out how to cover the underneath passes after all this time? 

Is our DL outside of Clark really that p*ss-poor that the rest of our D can't make the plays they on-paper should according to analysts (our D was hyped by some as being arguably better than or at least comparable to Chicago and Minnesota's before the 2019 season with all our acquisitions)?

Is the ILB position a more pressing need than our FO gives it credit for (having 2 elite ILBs payed dividends for the Bucs and Steelers)? 

Do we just suck that bad at drafting defensively (damn near all our 1st-2nd round capital since 2012 was spent on D and STILL no results to show for it)?

At this point it's gotta be fate. GB has not been known for defense for a long time and it hasn't mattered who the DC is. They're talented but I can only watch good offense and bad defense because that is what they always are and more or less what I expect them to be for some time.

1 hour ago, KManX89 said:

Is the ILB position a more pressing need than our FO gives it credit for (having 2 elite ILBs payed dividends for the Bucs and Steelers, but of course Gute turns a blind eye to that)? 

Everybody needs to STFU about ILB play.  If you can legitimately watch the Packers defense play and come to the conclusion that it’s ILB play that renders us incapable of stopping the run you might as well scout X-Men comic books for our next ILB and skip college tape because ain’t no Goddamn human ILB can save this run defense.

Our defensive coordinator literally doesn’t care about the running game and literally doesn’t coach run fits.  He literally tells his ILBs to clean up based on what his EDGE rushers decide to do.  He literally cares only about his pass rushers getting upfield with no regard for gap integrity.

I guess Multi Man would be a good ILB for us.  How does that work in the NFL though?  Technically one person so maybe they wouldn’t call 12+ men on the field.  Maybe The Blob at DL would keep our ILBs clean.  Magneto would be a cool ILB, but is there metal in NFL helmets?  And would that count as a face mask penalty?

17 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

Its so wild. I dont know if anyone would say the Chiefs have a more talented roster than the Pack but they're so much better in ppg because theyre aggressive. Why cant we be that? Their DC legit flipped the switch sometime last year. We need Pett to do that.

This is legitimately my only hope. 

For YEARS I bought into the conspiracy that McCarthy held back certain things for the postseason.  And now I'm buying into Pettine doing that same thing.  I like to believe that Pettine is throwing out these vanilla defenses in the regular season only to actually do not dumb *** **** in the postseason.

It's a stupid thing to believe, but I'm still going to believe it because football seasons are too short to spend the entirety of them knowing your team is going to get blown out in the postseason. 

• Like 1

I honestly think Pettine might start doing things differently. The biggest difference from last year to this year is the D had an identity at least. Yea they couldn't stop the run worth a damn but if we got a team in 3rd and 7 plus you were getting sacked or at least hurried. This year? Dead last is pass rush. 

Just look at the difference in a year in rankings:

2019    2020

Red Zone Def  11           27

Points per Pl    12         29

TO per Game   13          29 

PFF Pass Rush   4         32

What the hell happened? This defense is literally not good at anything right now.

Edited by Spartacus

On 11/8/2020 at 6:30 AM, KManX89 said:

Yes.

Edited by Smidgeon

On 11/8/2020 at 8:30 AM, KManX89 said:

1 hour ago, Smidgeon said:

Yes.

Has Clark really done anything this year?  

I've seen Grady Jarret flat out wreck an offensive line himself.  I haven't seen Clark do much of anything yet.

Last year he had like 4 games where I thought he was legitimately one of the best DL in the league.

This year?  He's a nice player, a plus player, but I haven't seen him be a difference maker yet.  Could be injury related.

The hell with it, I'm going to bring some unnecessary optimism in.  For all his flaws, Pettine seems like a guy his players have generally liked and gone to bat for.  And after Raven Greene's pick against the 49ers, he actually started playing aggressive defense the rest of the way.  Lot more cover-1, lot of Savage in the box or playing robber, waaaaay more press man (thank the lord, the 49ers "receivers" had no chance even against Hollman/Jackson.)  He's not a bad coordinator, he's just got a bad idea of what works in today's NFL.  If someone can just smack some sense in to him and get him to just call his cover-1 stuff more often I honestly think the defense will be fine.  This group has the talent to be top 10, assuming they keep giving effort like last week and someone just hides all of Mike Pettine's cover-4 calls from base.