Pettine's Gone, but Outpost is Back

MacReady

I hated our defense this game.  

We gave up a career long run to Montgomery.  We could have Urlacher in the middle with Ray Lewis and we'd still get gashed in the run game with Pettine's fits.

We "only" gave up 25 points because Trubisky couldn't hit water if he fell out of a effing boat.  Guys were open, he was just flat out missing them.

4'th and 12?  Converted.  Wasn't really even contested.  But, at least we didn't give up a 25 yard play.  Only 13.

I thought our offense was the best we've seen.  Masterful concepts and execution.  We had those ILB's zigging and zagging, we hit them from different angles and stayed committed to that scheme.  Set up counters, boots...etc.  It was just beautiful to watch.  I know losing Hicks is a big deal, but we put our offensive big boy pants on and played a great game.

The needle moved for me on offense.  We went up a notch.

Defensively, in my book, we stayed the same or went down a notch.  Didn't get a lot of pressure on Mitch.  I didn't see Clark do anything, makes me wonder if he played that many snaps.  Gary was Gary, nothing but a speed/bull rush.  The best burst I've seen out of Preston this year was right after he picked up the ball.

Our third safety gets exposed so much that it makes me wonder....  Reid has to be better in that role.  And if not him, or a FA like him, we need to actually draft a safety for that role.  We are asking way too much from Raven Greene.  We need him to play like Baker, Winfield or Mattieu, and he's playing like Greene.

Oh well, a win is a win, and ask exciting as it was on offense, it was a let down on defense.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I hated our defense this game.  

We gave up a career long run to Montgomery.  We could have Urlacher in the middle with Ray Lewis and we'd still get gashed in the run game with Pettine's fits.

We "only" gave up 25 points because Trubisky couldn't hit water if he fell out of a effing boat.  Guys were open, he was just flat out missing them.

4'th and 12?  Converted.  Wasn't really even contested.  But, at least we didn't give up a 25 yard play.  Only 13.

I thought our offense was the best we've seen.  Masterful concepts and execution.  We had those ILB's zigging and zagging, we hit them from different angles and stayed committed to that scheme.  Set up counters, boots...etc.  It was just beautiful to watch.  I know losing Hicks is a big deal, but we put our offensive big boy pants on and played a great game.

The needle moved for me on offense.  We went up a notch.

Defensively, in my book, we stayed the same or went down a notch.  Didn't get a lot of pressure on Mitch.  I didn't see Clark do anything, makes me wonder if he played that many snaps.  Gary was Gary, nothing but a speed/bull rush.  The best burst I've seen out of Preston this year was right after he picked up the ball.

Our third safety gets exposed so much that it makes me wonder....  Reid has to be better in that role.  And if not him, or a FA like him, we need to actually draft a safety for that role.  We are asking way too much from Raven Greene.  We need him to play like Baker, Winfield or Mattieu, and he's playing like Greene.

Oh well, a win is a win, and ask exciting as it was on offense, it was a let down on defense.

Agreed. Chicago's offense played into our hands during much of the 2nd quarter, the 2nd half of the 1st quarter, and then from the middle of the 3rd on to about 7 minutes left in the game. Raven Greene is a dime-backer that was constantly finding himself in a mismatch because of Pettine's scheme. If that wasn't bad enough, we went to a Dom Capers-esque, pillow-soft zone when we shouldn't have. Others here and abroad(read: Facebook groups) have already expressed their desire to keep the foot on the gas pedal, even when we have a cushion. We haven't and that's why we lost to Indy, it's how we let Minnesota back in the game in Week 1, it's the reason we eeked out a win against the hapless Jaguars, and it almost came back to bite us last night. If Foles is the QB, we lose that game the exact same way we lost to Indy. 

Pettine doesn't care about the run defense, that much is obvious.

Where I will disagree with you is on pressure. We were dialing it up pretty well last night and got 3 sacks out of the night and actually got turnovers - something we don't do, which alone should get Pettine fired... However, the issue hasn't been not getting enough pressure, it's not getting that pressure quicker or not trying to apply that pressure at all. 

I didn't see a lot of pressure.  One of those sacks came when Mitch scrambled and ducked out of bounds early.  

Make no mistake about it, their o-line is not good.  Clark was a non-factor.  Z had the one really good rush that was the strip sack.  Preston, well, I admire that guy.  He needs to rush more.  His long arms and strength make him a tough one to block.  Gary was Gary.  Just speed to bull rush.  Which is fine.  Against the Bares.  And maybe that is what I'm missing.  All we needed from our rush was "fine" because Mitch is just that bad.

If I had to rate who won the line of scrimmage when we were on defense, I'd call it a draw.  It wasn't a clear cut win for us.  On our side, offense, yah, the line of scrimmage was won and won rather handily.

I'm still hold out hope that we have that man/pressure package out there and are just saving it for the playoffs.  But...that hope dies a little with every 8 yard in that gets completed.

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

I didn't see a lot of pressure.  One of those sacks came when Mitch scrambled and ducked out of bounds early.  

Make no mistake about it, their o-line is not good.  Clark was a non-factor.  Z had the one really good rush that was the strip sack.  Preston, well, I admire that guy.  He needs to rush more.  His long arms and strength make him a tough one to block.  Gary was Gary.  Just speed to bull rush.  Which is fine.  Against the Bares.  And maybe that is what I'm missing.  All we needed from our rush was "fine" because Mitch is just that bad.

If I had to rate who won the line of scrimmage when we were on defense, I'd call it a draw.  It wasn't a clear cut win for us.  On our side, offense, yah, the line of scrimmage was won and won rather handily.

I'm still hold out hope that we have that man/pressure package out there and are just saving it for the playoffs.  But...that hope dies a little with every 8 yard in that gets completed.

I was surprised by the lack of pass rush .. the Bears line is a mess and I expected our front to raise hell.  They were just adequate at best .. definitely expected more.

• Like 1

Are you all ready for Carson Wentz to revert back to his 2017 form?

Carson Wentz has 16 touchdowns and 15 interceptions on the year.  He's completing 58% of his passes.  6 yards per attempt. 

He's not only back to rookie form, but he's in bad rookie form.

He's thrown an interception in 9 games.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Are you all ready for Carson Wentz to revert back to his 2017 form?

Carson Wentz has 16 touchdowns and 15 interceptions on the year.  He's completing 58% of his passes.  6 yards per attempt. 

He's not only back to rookie form, but he's in bad rookie form.

He's thrown an interception in 9 games.

None of his WRs can beat press coverage. Anyone who watches film can see it. Seattle, who is a miserable defense, saw it and used it to throw off the timing of the whole pass game and play their best game of the year.

Expect us to play 10 yards off to not give up the big play.

• Like 3

Just now, Packerraymond said:

None of his WRs can beat press coverage. Anyone who watches film can see it. Seattle, who is a miserable defense, saw it and used it to throw off the timing of the whole pass game and play their best game of the year.

We're running out of opportunities to fire Pettine, so maybe Wentz can throw 8 touchdown passes and Aaron can  throw 7.  If we go for 2 every time and Crosby gets one field goal, we can miss one 2 point conversion attempt and still win. 

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

And their line is in shambles right now. A lot of injures. If Seattle can get to him 6-7 times, I'm sure we're good for a few. 

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

We're running out of opportunities to fire Pettine, so maybe Wentz can throw 8 touchdown passes and Aaron can  throw 7.  If we go for 2 every time and Crosby gets one field goal, we can miss one 2 point conversion attempt and still win. 

We all know how this ends. It ends in a playoff loss where the defense gets absolutely shredded. The only questions are which round it comes and whether it's enough to make the team pull the trigger on Pettine.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mr Anonymous said:

We all know how this ends. It ends in a playoff loss where the defense gets absolutely shredded. The only questions are which round it comes and whether it's enough to make the team pull the trigger on Pettine.

I hate with all of my being that this is 100% true.

2 hours ago, Mr Anonymous said:

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

I hate with all of my being that this is 100% true.

So true that it caused me to day drink.

2 hours ago, Mr Anonymous said:

This hurt my soul a little bit. 

3 hours ago, Mr Anonymous said:

My eternal optimist side says "Pettine is playing opossum during the regular season and is going to unleash a completely different press/aggressive defense in the post-season and shock the world!"

But I know it's not true.

But if it IS true, I call dibs on calling it.

7 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

My eternal optimist side says "Pettine is playing opossum during the regular season and is going to unleash a completely different press/aggressive defense in the post-season and shock the world!"

But I know it's not true.

But if it IS true, I call dibs on calling it.

I think the 2019 regular season and playoff game vs SF would be evidence that a "drastic" change in philosophy is unlikely to take place