Pettine's Gone, but Outpost is Back

MacReady

9 minutes ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

Kind of hard to address all needs....Seems we had LB needs as well....

This is true.   It was also 1 of the deepest DL free agent classes in a long time.  

Whether Gutekunst pursued any DL free agents is unknown.

33 minutes ago, squire12 said:

This is true.   It was also 1 of the deepest DL free agent classes in a long time.  

Whether Gutekunst pursued any DL free agents is unknown.

Snacks Harrison has publicly stated the Packers gave him a contract offer. He also has said there is a reason he hasn't signed with any team, but that reason could be ending soon.

Based on pure gut feeling, I felt like it might have to do with kids going back to school (he's got 6 including twin 1 year olds) and what do you know, his township is in wikipedia and the school districts updated schedule says the first day for students is September 14th. Don't know if this speculation is correct, but if he signs soon it might of been correct.

Of course, Harrison has also stated he had interested from muliple teams... 

I couldn't help but remember this thread as the game was unfolding.  Or when Pettine's defense was folding.

Look.  When Alexander looks disinterested on the boundary...not in a stance, just kind of standing there, you know something is wrong.  And that was him the entire 4'th quarter.

Only time we heard from our safeties was when Savage was being burnt by Thielen.

P Smith was invisible.  I think I saw him drop more than I saw him rush.  I saw one stunt on the DL all game.  One.

It really was a poor defensive effort.  Almost inexcusable.  If Godgers wasn't matching TD's in the 4'th, we were toast.  Pettine is fortunate that MLF kept his foot on the gas with TD's instead of FG's.

And I go back to this....we have a highly paid safety, a high second round pick, and two other first round picks in our secondary.  When are you going to trust them to make plays to win a game?  If you can't get after the QB, creatively, with those guys back there, then when can you do it?

Poor effort by Pettine.  It's only slightly excusable because MLF and Godgers scored TD's instead of FG's in the 4'th.  

7 minutes ago, mikebpackfan said:

Did I hear this morning that Jaire improvised the blitz on the safety?

Yeah.   He thought it was a run play based on the formation and pre-snap motion, etc.  He came off the edge and once he realized it was a pass, he just committed as he had a free run at Cousins.  

Great play with the help of some luck on top of it

Pettine wasn't even responsible for the Jaire sack/safety. FIRE PETTINE

For as fantastic as his second-quarter sack of Vikings quarterback Kirk Cousins for a safety had been — on a play on which Alexander had seemingly come on a surprise corner blitz and ran untouched to take Cousins down in the end zone — no one had been more surprised than Pettine, the Packers defensive coordinator.

Why? Because he hadn’t called for Alexander to blitz on the play. Instead, Alexander had moved closer to the line of scrimmage expecting a handoff to running back Dalvin Cook, based on what Alexander had seen from Vikings wide receiver Adam Thielen going in motion to start the play.

“I was anticipating run because of the motion by Thielen. So once I anticipated run, I shot my shot,” Alexander explained. “And when I saw it wasn’t a run, it was too late to turn back. So I just kept going.”

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

I couldn't help but remember this thread as the game was unfolding.  Or when Pettine's defense was folding.

Look.  When Alexander looks disinterested on the boundary...not in a stance, just kind of standing there, you know something is wrong.  And that was him the entire 4'th quarter.

Only time we heard from our safeties was when Savage was being burnt by Thielen.

P Smith was invisible.  I think I saw him drop more than I saw him rush.  I saw one stunt on the DL all game.  One.

It really was a poor defensive effort.  Almost inexcusable.  If Godgers wasn't matching TD's in the 4'th, we were toast.  Pettine is fortunate that MLF kept his foot on the gas with TD's instead of FG's.

And I go back to this....we have a highly paid safety, a high second round pick, and two other first round picks in our secondary.  When are you going to trust them to make plays to win a game?  If you can't get after the QB, creatively, with those guys back there, then when can you do it?

Poor effort by Pettine.  It's only slightly excusable because MLF and Godgers scored TD's instead of FG's in the 4'th.  

It's hard to convince me that taking a big lead around the time the defense turned is a coincidence. Before that they had looked pretty good, the play before half with no contain sticks out but that was a mistake by King iirc.

I'm not thrilled with it but I'm not going to be upset until I see look like that longer than when we started to cruise on offense. 

Being snake bitten by this happening in the past obviously doesn't help our view here.

• Like 1