Pettine's Gone, but Outpost is Back

MacReady

7 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

You think Greene wasnt in the right role or you dont think hes an NFL caliber talent?

Consistently, i definitely disagree.

I feel pretty comfortable saying hes a #2 in a C3 scheme. I dont think its a coincidence when he logged the most snaps we played near exclusive zone and he looked like the best version of himself. I dont doubt hed be in the right spot when the balls in the air if he played free, i just dont trust him to bring the guy down consistently.. Much liker Redmond but at least he's pretty contained close to the line.

Ive got no real problem with Savage and Amos swapping duty so the offense has a harder time with matchups.

I'd be lying if I said I'd charted it, but purely from a mile high look, we play a lot more man when Jackson is in for King. 

14 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I'd be lying if I said I'd charted it, but purely from a mile high look, we play a lot more man when Jackson is in for King. 

Weve played wildly low man reps as a whole this year, and Jackson has looked acceptable. I dont see that as a coincidence. Whatever percentages somebody posted around here a bit ago.

I get the feeling that if we really looked at all the snaps; Redmond is assignment sound. The issue is in the game he takes terrible angles and misses a lot of tackles while simply trying to throw his body into the ball carrier. The guy doesn't belong in the game but is probably really good in no contact practice.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Reaper said:

I get the feeling that if we really looked at all the snaps; Redmond is assignment sound. The issue is in the game he takes terrible angles and misses a lot of tackles while simply trying to throw his body into the ball carrier. The guy doesn't belong in the game but is probably really good in no contact practice.

Absolutely.  He knows where to be and when to be there.  A coach has to love that.

But when he gets there, it all goes to hell.  And a coach has to hate that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reaper said:

Redmond has (allegedly) man skills and moves better than Greene (If we're real for a minute, isn't Redmond just a poor man's Josh Jackson?) that's why he was the 3rd down dime back before his benching.

• Like 2

Greene moves real well honestly, and pound for pound has some legit freakish strength.  Seen him blow OL back on a blitz twice, which is really not normal for a 215 pound DB.  I'm fine with him as a backer in a wooden nickel look, he's played that role pretty well all things equal.  I don't think he should see the field over Jackson, but I don't put him in the same group as Redmond by any stretch.  Redmond is a destitute man's Jarrett Bush and should be ST only.  Greene at least has a role he can play on defense.

Having said all this, Jackson going from playing near 100% of the defensive snaps to 0 as soon as King was back is difficult to swallow.  Given how he played in his five games started this year I don't know how you argue he isn't one of your best six DBs at worst.  I'll give Sullivan the push given he's covered well and has made some highlight INTs, it's whatever, but there's no world where Jackson should be seeing no snaps right now.

On 12/9/2020 at 3:20 AM, AlexGreen#20 said:

Just slow and doesn't even have a good anchor. Just not really an NFL caliber talent to go with an NFL caliber body.

He's jarringly slow.  You see every one of those 361 pounds when he tries to move, but yeah he also stands straight up taking on the double and can easily get washed.  Also, he's so unaware it borders on comical; there's a great play from his time with the Seahawks where he's still locked up in his one on one block after the RB has been tackled on the other side of the field.  There's twenty guys doing one thing, and then there's Rush just doggedly trying to beat his man whatever the cost and absolutely not doing so.

6 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

Greene moves real well honestly, and pound for pound has some legit freakish strength.  Seen him blow OL back on a blitz twice, which is really not normal for a 215 pound DB.  I'm fine with him as a backer in a wooden nickel look, he's played that role pretty well all things equal.  I don't think he should see the field over Jackson, but I don't put him in the same group as Redmond by any stretch.  Redmond is a destitute man's Jarrett Bush and should be ST only.  Greene at least has a role he can play on defense.

Having said all this, Jackson going from playing near 100% of the defensive snaps to 0 as soon as King was back is difficult to swallow.  Given how he played in his five games started this year I don't know how you argue he isn't one of your best six DBs at worst.  I'll give Sullivan the push given he's covered well and has made some highlight INTs, it's whatever, but there's no world where Jackson should be seeing no snaps right now.

Jackson does so poorly when you run away from him, his trail is ugly ugly, when you get behind him hes lost. I dont really see that playing great in the slot. Keep things in front, on the outside of the formation. If it's him or Redmond, yeah, id probably go jackson but I wont be shocked when he looks much worse inside than out.

1 hour ago, HighCalebR said:

Jackson does so poorly when you run away from him, his trail is ugly ugly, when you get behind him hes lost. I dont really see that playing great in the slot. Keep things in front, on the outside of the formation. If it's him or Redmond, yeah, id probably go jackson but I wont be shocked when he looks much worse inside than out.

Oh yeah Jackson would be terrible playing man from the slot, but they don't need to go that route to get him on the field.  I mean, my first thought would be the same as @Packerraymond; play him at safety and let Savage play inside near the LoS in the dime. 

If they don't want to go that route,  then let me spit some heresy and say I'd legitimately consider playing Jaire inside and Jackson outside.  I'm aware of how good a corner Jaire is, and letting him just play lockdown outside is certainly not a bad strategy.  But I've long felt if he's elite outside, he could be one of the all-time greatest interior DBs to play, on that CWood '09 level.  Man loves to hit, loves to blow up blocks, loves to play physical and literally can't be juked for more than a step.  I really wish they'd let him do more than just lockdown whatever receiver is outside, because he's one of the few players where I think even that may be not using him to the best of his ability.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

Jackson in the slot is no bueno. Very much limits his game off the boundary.

Edited by AlexGreen#20

This latest debate seems to be that Jackson, Redmond, and Greene are the sum of all the parts we need from one guy to be a solid CB2 or CB3. These guys are role players who are inconsistent and replaceable. Keep them around to bridge the gap between now and when better players have developed into the players we need at those positions and then let them walk elsewhere to restart the process all over again...

• Like 1

Just now, Joe said:

This latest debate seems to be that Jackson, Redmond, and Greene are the sum of all the parts we need from one guy to be a solid CB2 or CB3. These guys are role players who are inconsistent and replaceable. Keep them around to bridge the gap between now and when better players have developed into the players we need at those positions and then let them walk elsewhere to restart the process all over again...

I wouldnt say anybody is saying that? I think everyones saying Redmonds pretty bad, ST guy, we hope Pett doesn't play. Greene's hurt or he was playing a role as a backer that was fine. Just trying to find a slot for Jackson. as usual. Do you put him back deep or keep him in reserve for his role a la Rick Wagner. Just another role player. no one's projecting these guys higher than they are.

Pettine, in his latest presser, sounded like he's more apt to play an extra LB between Barnes, Kamal and Kirksey. He now likes this group and thinks that's a combo to getting the best 11 on the field. Also alludes to Vernon and Henry as his extra safeties.. so here's to hoping Redmond stays on specials.

I don't even think Redmond is that poor in coverage (cue someone pointing out his 5000 rating against), he seems to be in position most of the time.  But he is abysmal at tackling.  Perhaps Redmond would be the guy to play one of the deep/coverage safety spots while Amos or Savage moves up to the line? 

My move is give Vernon Scott more snaps, but I am a fan, and hope for better things.