Pettine's Gone, but Outpost is Back

MacReady

I think it’s obvious if the defense is the main reason GB loses in the playoffs Pettine is likely gone (given how annoyed LaFleur looks and talks).

Only thing... if they make the SB, I don’t see regardless the outcome Pettine getting fired. Again if they make the Super Bowl.

6 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

8th in yards, T-16th in points. I could live with this if we were taking the ball away more.

Even during Capers’ better years, teams were racking up yards. Usually it was because they had to with our offense running up the score. The key was, we were getting take aways often enough to bail us out. 

Last year, our red zone D was covering up our shortcomings. If we could get that back, we might survive. Of course we played a bunch of inexperienced QBs last year.  That is not a luxury you get to have in the playoffs. 

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

8th in yards, T-16th in points. I could live with this if we were taking the ball away more.

12th in the league in 3rd down defense, 28th in red zone defense (percentage of trips resulting in TD), 23rd in opponent passer rating, and 15th or 16th in basically every other imaginable metric.  This defense is the definition of uninspired.  They just don't do anything special right now.  They don't do anything particularly terribly either, apart from letting teams score 2/3 of the time they get to the 20, but they just don't stand out or threaten opposing offenses.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Refugee said:

Even during Capers’ better years, teams were racking up yards. Usually it was because they had to with our offense running up the score. The key was, we were getting take aways often enough to bail us out. 

Last year, our red zone D was covering up our shortcomings. If we could get that back, we might survive. Of course we played a bunch of inexperienced QBs last year.  That is not a luxury you get to have in the playoffs. 

Yet... last year it was the team with the inexperienced QB that bounced GB and the former super bowl winner at QB that the team was able to handle...

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I wouldn't call Jimmy G a QB in that game. He was a handoff-er.

Which is my point... GB dispatched Wilson but had trouble with Jimmy G.

I don’t think it’s simply GB has a hard time against good/great QBs. There is a specific mixture of qualities a team needs.

- A front four that can get home without blitzing.

- An offense that can clock control.

This team is built to get into shootouts. It’s why I made what most felt was a crazy statement... that GB is built to beat/hang with KC. It’s teams like Baltimore (last year), 49ers(last year), etc that are this team’s nightmare. Will be interesting to see the Titans game... given they don’t have the defense that traditionally gives GB a tough time.

50 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Which is my point... GB dispatched Wilson but had trouble with Jimmy G.

I don’t think it’s simply GB has a hard time against good/great QBs. There is a specific mixture of qualities a team needs.

- A front four that can get home without blitzing.

- An offense that can clock control.

This team is built to get into shootouts. It’s why I made what most felt was a crazy statement... that GB is built to beat/hang with KC. It’s teams like Baltimore (last year), 49ers(last year), etc that are this team’s nightmare. Will be interesting to see the Titans game... given they don’t have the defense that traditionally gives GB a tough time.

We beat a severely depleted Seattle team, they would have been a different animal with some of their starters, including any of their RBs.  Jimmy G is a second contarct vet, not great, not bad.  His team's D and running game were all they needed to embarrass us for the second time.

In the SB, Jimmy didn't show much but the KC defense came with a good plan to slow the run and had some opportunistic turnovers.  The better team won but SF was and still is a heavyweight contender when healthy.  I'm glad they are all but out of the dance this year but we will see them at their house next year. We need to improve to beat them.

43 minutes ago, Refugee said:

We beat a severely depleted Seattle team, they would have been a different animal with some of their starters, including any of their RBs.  Jimmy G is a second contarct vet, not great, not bad.  His team's D and running game were all they needed to embarrass us for the second time.

In the SB, Jimmy didn't show much but the KC defense came with a good plan to slow the run and had some opportunistic turnovers.  The better team won but SF was and still is a heavyweight contender when healthy.  I'm glad they are all but out of the dance this year but we will see them at their house next year. We need to improve to beat them.

Were they? Outside of their RBs weren’t they pretty healthy?

their issue is their defense isn’t what it used to be. Which is my point, GB tends to beat teams with weak defenses, regardless the offensive power on the other side.

31 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Were they? Outside of their RBs weren’t they pretty healthy?

their issue is their defense isn’t what it used to be. Which is my point, GB tends to beat teams with weak defenses, regardless the offensive power on the other side.

Seattle was destroyed on both lines by the time they played us.  When they beat Phi in the game before it was a battle of attrition with both teams' starters and depth injured.

We are in agreement more than we are not. I'm basically just saying our D looked a lot better facing the green QBs we saw all last season.  That is not that telling or controversial but it is a fact.  Beating Seattle was huge but they were not the same team that started the year.  We had Kenny and Bulaga questionable but they both played.  The next week, we all SF was in a completely different class and that goes for the whole team, we obviously had the advantage at QB but that's about it.