Pettine's Gone, but Outpost is Back

MacReady

5 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

The thread is working.

I still don’t trust Pettine against playoff quarterbacks.

I’m not taking my foot off the gas just yet.

Pettine still sucks.

I think we’ll have to beat a better QB than him, to go the distance Tannhill was an AFC championship “QB” last season.

If he is going to trust his secondary to man up and actually put bodies in there to stop the run, I'm all for it.

Loved seeing the man coverage this past game.  

And...loved that we flat out controlled the LOS on both sides of the ball.  I did not see that coming.  

1 minute ago, Mazrimiv said:

Barring another disastrous showing in the playoffs, I'd say Pettine's job is safe.

If Pettine comes back we better draft an IDL with our first pick and trade for another first round pick to draft a cornerback.

I would kinda like to have some flexibility in the draft, but Pettine is not a make it work with what you got coordinator and this defense is poised to LOSE starters heading into this offseason.

This defense is trending in the right direction right now, but let’s not act like that’s all on Pettine.

LaFleur has been getting on Pettine more and more, and even the players had a sit down with Pettine over his late game coordinating.

I can see a possibility where Pettine remains if his deal goes beyond this year, but if it’s a matter of extending him, there’s no way that happens.  Super Bowl win or not.

Pettine is not LaFleur’s guy.

Also, please remember his opponents recently.

Last night was an extraordinary show from him I will grant, but we’ve had a pretty light schedule outside of them.

And please don’t forget last year’s playoff games or even some of his performances this year against scheme guys.  The Niners game was an absolutely horrendous performance all things considered.

He’s not a good coordinator.

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Also, please remember his opponents recently.

Last night was an extraordinary show from him I will grant, but we’ve had a pretty light schedule outside of them.

And please don’t forget last year’s playoff games or even some of his performances this year against scheme guys.  The Niners game was an absolutely horrendous performance all things considered.

He’s not a good coordinator.

Fire him if our defense gives up more than 24 points this postseason iyam

• Like 1

A great opening line from the game review at The Athletic

Nobody would blame Mike Pettine if he drove home from Lambeau Field on Sunday night with his windows down, music blaring, a middle finger stuck high in the air for everybody in Green Bay to see.

This shift in optimism and Pettine doing logical things such as playing heavier, more man coverages, forcing turnovers and creativity with blitzes, doesn't seem real. Packers script suggests a letdown against the Bears where they allow 40 points and lose a shootout via dinks and dunks with soft coverages and getting gashed by the run on defense is coming.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

He's probably safe either way.  I think he's now coordinating things in a way that is appealing to his players and to LaFleur. 

Nope.  Nope.  Nope.

He's coordinating his way to a head coaching gig.  Fingers crossed.

As I said get that Falcons D Coordinator.

He is doing an amazing job. Chiefs didn’t sleep walk, but went into the game fully prepared yesterday and yet it took last minute Interception drop to win the game. 

He is the best scheme guy that we can get this offseason if we want to get rid of Mike Pettine. 

1 hour ago, Mr Anonymous said:

This shift in optimism and Pettine doing logical things such as playing heavier, more man coverages, forcing turnovers and creativity with blitzes, doesn't seem real. Packers script suggests a letdown against the Bears where they allow 40 points and lose a shootout via dinks and dunks with soft coverages and getting gashed by the run on defense is coming.

See this is where I’m at.

Same as I was over Rodgers from 2018 to now.

Our defense is doing well because he started doing the things everyone wanted him to do and stopped doing the things nobody wanted him to do.

People who defended Pettine aren’t right.  People who piled it on Pettine were right.

Pettine was bad doing Pettine things.  Once Pettine stopped doing Pettine things, Pettine got better.

I saw Preston drop back once last night.  It turned into an important first down conversion in his zone, but it was only once (that I saw).

Pettine things don’t work.  I don’t care how gifted Preston is.  He should drop back sparingly on designed plays, not regularly as part of the defense.

Corners we’re playing man coverage more last night.

Savage has been playing where he can make an impact over the past 5 weeks instead of being kept deep twiddling his thumbs.  Lo and behold, 4 interceptions, a sack and significant tackles for him.

Pettine isn’t good.  LaFleur is making him good.

• Like 2