Pettine's Gone, but Outpost is Back

MacReady

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

See this is where I’m at.

Same as I was over Rodgers from 2018 to now.

Our defense is doing well because he started doing the things everyone wanted him to do and stopped doing the things nobody wanted him to do.

People who defended Pettine aren’t right.  People who piled it on Pettine were right.

Pettine was bad doing Pettine things.  Once Pettine stopped doing Pettine things, Pettine got better.

I saw Preston drop back once last night.  It turned into an important first down conversion in his zone, but it was only once (that I saw).

Pettine things don’t work.  I don’t care how gifted Preston is.  He should drop back sparingly on designed plays, not regularly as part of the defense.

Corners we’re playing man coverage more last night.

Savage has been playing where he can make an impact over the past 5 weeks instead of being kept deep twiddling his thumbs.  Lo and behold, 4 interceptions, a sack and significant tackles for him.

Pettine isn’t good.  LaFleur is making him good.

I've been on the can Pettine bandwagon for a bit now.  Yesterdays game gave me a glimmer of hope he has his head out of his butt on some of his scheming.  If he shuts down Chicago like he did the Titans, I'll give some slack but he's got to show me more than one game. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

I've been on the can Pettine bandwagon for a bit now.  Yesterdays game gave me a glimmer of hope he has his head out of his butt on some of his scheming.  If he shuts down Chicago like he did the Titans, I'll give some slack but he's got to show me more than one game. 

Since the Colts debacle the defense has been really solid.  Last night was very impressive. 

1 hour ago, Arthur Penske said:

My gut still Tells me he will do that in the playoffs. Just hope He learned from this game that he doesn't need to play that soft crap for the defense to play well

A good coordinator should know his personnel intimately and use that knowledge to formulate unique strategy for each opponent. It shouldn't have taken 3/4ths of a season of mediocre performance and a quasi-mutiny from defensive team leaders for Pettine to adopt a more personnel-friendly posture.  

I'm guessing it's LaFluer who's mandated the recent shift in defensive approach. That type of intervention shouldn't be necessary if the defensive coordinator is lucid.    

• Like 3

Last night was a perfect example of why I haven’t had a strong opinion one way or the other about Pettine. He’s capable of calling excellent games and he’s capable of getting the most out of what he has to work with, he just doesn’t do it consistently. Hopefully he’ll take a long look at the film from this game and prioritize what was working instead of reverting back to the ultra conservative style we all hated.

1 hour ago, Les Punting said:

A good coordinator should know his personnel intimately and use that knowledge to formulate unique strategy for each opponent. It shouldn't have taken 3/4ths of a season of mediocre performance and a quasi-mutiny from defensive team leaders for Pettine to adopt a more personnel-friendly posture.  

I'm guessing it's LaFluer who's mandated the recent shift in defensive approach. That type of intervention shouldn't be necessary if the defensive coordinator is lucid.    

You’re got damn right.

5 hours ago, Mr Anonymous said:

This shift in optimism and Pettine doing logical things such as playing heavier, more man coverages, forcing turnovers and creativity with blitzes, doesn't seem real. Packers script suggests a letdown against the Bears where they allow 40 points and lose a shootout via dinks and dunks with soft coverages and getting gashed by the run on defense is coming.

And what if a letdown is attributed to perhaps overconfidence, due to GB's past successes against Chicago with Rodgers at the helm?...Those with preconceived ideas, have already cast their lots as to whose fault it will be...

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Not even close. Price will fight Adams and Lancaster for snaps.

bit of an overreaction while watching the game here. looked strong in the middle there on a few snaps late, got some things movin. Isn't Mont still on IR? 

Just saw one where he got ******* handled too. so theres that lolol

Edited by HighCalebR

4 hours ago, Les Punting said:

Agree. Although I think the mutiny angle/report is a bit overblown or sensationalized. 

Edited by Arthur Penske

6 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I’m just terrified of the playoffs.  My heart can’t take another one.

I can handle a loss, but I can’t handle another playoff loss where our defense gets embarrassed.

I’ve had to watch like 6 of those.

Yeah it's gonna be in the back of my mind that the D gets embarrassed in the playoffs no matter how well they do in Chicago.

PTSD

• Like 1