Alex Smith coming off PUP

turtle28

22 minutes ago, offbyone said:

I am glad he inspires you, but he can do that somewhere else.   We are in a position to take a cap hit now.  We should.  If you really are a big Alex Smith fan, trading him would be the best thing for him if he truly wants to play.  It would also be the best team for us. 

I could care less about Alex Smith's leadership.  I want haskins to be the leader, not the 3rd string qb.  Haskins got enough of an experience last year with him.  Time to move on.

I get it, but it is what it is, It does not make sense to move his contract because will cost us $9 million towards our cap. He’s not going anywhere. And, it’s not just me, it’s the team. He does a lot for the other players and is still seen as a leader and a coach on the field for this young team, especially Dwayne & Kyle Allen. His knowledge is invaluable to them. Dwayne has said as much with how much Alex helped him through a rough year as a rookie.

16 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Is this really that big of a deal?  I mean I didn't expect him to do much anyways.

It’s really not that big of a deal, he’s been dropping back and throwing for a months, maybe even a year. What will be a big deal is if he’s ever cleared for contact.

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

It’s really not that big of a deal, he’s been dropping back and throwing for a months, maybe even a year. What will be a big deal is if he’s ever cleared for contact.

I see. Sorry, don't mind me, just being callous about a player's health in a rival forum behind the anonymity veil of the internet. The pinnacle of human existence, IMO

1 minute ago, matt79511 said:

I see. Sorry, don't mind me, just being callous about a player's health in a rival forum behind the anonymity veil of the internet. The pinnacle of human existence, IMO

Well you’re not wrong. It’s not as big of a deal as it’s being made out to be and a lot people aren’t understanding that it doesn’t mean he’s not cleared for full contact

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I get it, but it is what it is, It does not make sense to move his contract because will cost us $9 million towards our cap. He’s not going anywhere. And, it’s not just me, it’s the team. He does a lot for the other players and is still seen as a leader and a coach on the field for this young team, especially Dwayne & Kyle Allen. His knowledge is invaluable to them. Dwayne has said as much with how much Alex helped him through a rough year as a rookie.

If he was so great, he would have a ring or two by now.   I just will never get why people seem to be glorifying Alex Smith as a redskin.  Alex Smith has done nothing as a redskin except cost us massive cap space we are still paying for, a young starting corner and a draft pick.   Andy Reid is still laughing about the fleecing he gave us.

I guess we will agree to disagree.   

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

As far as I know this means he is cleared for full football activities.  

• Like 1

On 8/17/2020 at 4:45 PM, offbyone said:

If he was so great, he would have a ring or two by now.   I just will never get why people seem to be glorifying Alex Smith as a redskin.  Alex Smith has done nothing as a redskin except cost us massive cap space we are still paying for, a young starting corner and a draft pick.   Andy Reid is still laughing about the fleecing he gave us.

I guess we will agree to disagree.   

As far as I know this means he is cleared for full football activities.  

Alex Smith was a good QB, but not great. He came w/in a FG of going to the Super Bowl in 2011. Then, had the 49ers rolling in 2012 before a concussion knocked him out and then Kap happened. 

Also, you shouldn’t judge a QB just off wins and losses, especially Playoff & Super Bowls. If I had my choice I’d take Dan Marino over any QB who’s won a Super Bowl. Dan didn’t win multiple Super Bowls bc the Steelers & Redskins didn’t draft him. If they had, and he had gone to a place with better players around him he would have won Super Bowls. It’s one of the reasons Kirk left, he didn’t trust Dan & Bruce to build a championship level team.

Its also not Alex’s fault Bruce gave him a contract extension when he didn’t have to. Bruce should’ve waited until after the 2018 season to see if Alex could prove he deserved a contract extension that would pay him on avg $20 mil a year.

That was Bruce’s flaw, he let his feelings get in the way of Football business. He and Dan didn’t like Kirk bc he was a Shanahan guy so they didn’t want to give him the contract he had earned. In 2010 they gave McNabb a contract extension before he had earned it too. They gave DHall contract extensions bc he was loyal to them too when DHall should’ve been cut after he tore his achillies the first time in 2016, instead they re-signed him. They let Garçon go bc he was a Shanahan guy, same w/ Morris or those McCloughan guys they didn’t keep amongst others over the last 5 years.

If they didn’t re-sign Alex in 2018 before the season we’d have $50 million in cap space which I guess we should have next year, or more anyway. 

Edited by turtle28

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Alex Smith was a good QB, but not great. He came w/in a FG of going to the Super Bowl in 2011. Then, had the 49ers rolling in 2012 before a concussion knocked him out and then Kap happened. 

Also, you shouldn’t judge a QB just off wins and losses, especially Playoff & Super Bowls. If I had my choice I’d take Dan Marino over any QB who’s won a Super Bowl. Dan didn’t win multiple Super Bowls bc the Steelers & Redskins didn’t draft him. If they had, and he had gone to a place with better players around him he would have won Super Bowls. It’s one of the reasons Kirk left, he didn’t trust Dan & Bruce to build a championship level team.

Its also not Alex’s fault Bruce gave him a contract extension when he didn’t have to. Bruce should’ve waited until after the 2018 season to see if Alex could prove he deserved a contract extension that would pay him on avg $20 mil a year.

That was Bruce’s flaw, he let his feelings get in the way of Football business. He and Dan didn’t like Kirk bc he was a Shanahan guy so they didn’t want to give him the contract he had earned. In 2010 they gave McNabb a contract extension before he had earned it too. They gave DHall contract extensions bc he was loyal to them too when DHall should’ve been cut after he tore his ACL the first time in 2016, instead they re-signed him. They let Garçon go bc he was a Shanahan guy, same w/ Morris or those McCloughan guys they didn’t keep amongst others over the last 5 years.

If they didn’t re-sign Alex in 2018 before the season we’d have $50 million in. So space which I guess we should have next year, or more anyway. 

This is all true, but still, why should I care about Alex Smith?  We made a huge investment in him and only got what 8 games.  I wouldn't even call him Redskins history, he was a blip.  Why the loyalty to Alex Smith?   We paid him in spades.  Haskins already got to spend time with him.  I just think it would be best to focus on the future.  

50 minutes ago, offbyone said:

This is all true, but still, why should I care about Alex Smith?  We made a huge investment in him and only got what 8 games.  I wouldn't even call him Redskins history, he was a blip.  Why the loyalty to Alex Smith?   We paid him in spades.  Haskins already got to spend time with him.  I just think it would be best to focus on the future.  

I don't mind Alex being on the team or in meetings teaching Kyle and Dwayne but if he really wants to play again, he would be going on the trade block. If we could get at least a 3rd round pick for him, he's gone. Smith isn't Washington royalty so I agree they shouldn't be too attached to him. 

Edited by Skins212689
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, offbyone said:

Asked and answered. I can’t help that you don’t like my reasoning,  the majority of the fan bases reasoning and the teams reasoning.

You also are playing revisionist history as am I. We can’t change what happened. Bruce couldn’t have foreshadowed Alex breaking his leg, Bruce thought he was getting a team leader and ample replacement for Kirk for a few years while they’d draft Alex’s replacement to groom under him.  

IMO it’s the broken leg that makes the trade and contract bad w/o that we’d have Fuller back - traded away for Alex in 2018 - and have a healthy Alex coming off around a .500 season in 2019 but what’s bad is we wouldn’t have Chase Young if Alex didn’t break his leg.

In 2018 Alex probably gets us to 9-7 or 10-6. In 2019 we don’t have the dysfunction and while we wouldn’t have been great especially on O w/o Reed & Davis, still I think Alex throwing to Terry, PRich, Quinn, SSmims & Harmon is a better combination then Keenum to them, at least in terms of less turnovers and better accuracy. 

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

I don't mind Alex being on the team or in meetings teaching Kyle and Dwayne but if he really wants to play again, he would be going on the trade block. If we could get at least a 3rd round pick for him, he's gone. Smith isn't Washington royalty so I agree they shouldn't be too attached to him. 

The big problem is that he's attained Snyder BFF status, remember all of that time spent in the owner's box during games last year instead of on the field with the other QBs?  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Asked and answered. I can’t help that you don’t like my reasoning,  the majority of the fan bases reasoning and the teams reasoning.

You also are playing revisionist history as am I. We can’t change what happened. Bruce couldn’t have foreshadowed Alex breaking his leg, Bruce thought he was getting a team leader and ample replacement for Kirk for a few years while they’d draft Alex’s replacement to groom under him.  

IMO it’s the broken leg that makes the trade and contract bad w/o that we’d have Fuller back - traded away for Alex in 2018 - and have a healthy Alex coming off around a .500 season in 2019 but what’s bad is we wouldn’t have Chase Young if Alex didn’t break his leg.

In 2018 Alex probably gets us to 9-7 or 10-6. In 2019 we don’t have the dysfunction and while we wouldn’t have been great especially on O w/o Reed & Davis, still I think Alex throwing to Terry, PRich, Quinn, SSmims & Harmon is a better combination then Keenum to them, at least in terms of less turnovers and better accuracy. 

Solid post.  I don't mind the trade, but to do the trade and nearly pay the guy as much guaranteed money that Cousins got from the Vikings was a horrible move.  No one could predict an injury like that, but the contract is still a bad one just based off the entire situation that led up to us needing to acquire Smith.  If they were willing to trade those assets for a QB and nearly pay him as much as Cousins, why not just treat Cousins better so he would re-sign?  It makes no sense to me.  

On the flip side, without the dysfunction, Bruce probably isn't fired, and female employees and even those covering the team are still harassed right now.   And as you said, no Chase Young either.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

The big problem is that he's attained Snyder BFF status, remember all of that time spent in the owner's box during games last year instead of on the field with the other QBs?  

That's fine but Snyder should let Football People make Football Decisions. Hopefully this off-season has taught him more about that.  

11 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Solid post.  I don't mind the trade, but to do the trade and nearly pay the guy as much guaranteed money that Cousins got from the Vikings was a horrible move.  No one could predict an injury like that, but the contract is still a bad one just based off the entire situation that led up to us needing to acquire Smith.  If they were willing to trade those assets for a QB and nearly pay him as much as Cousins, why not just treat Cousins better so he would re-sign?  It makes no sense to me.  

On the flip side, without the dysfunction, Bruce probably isn't fired, and female employees and even those covering the team are still harassed right now.   And as you said, no Chase Young either.  

I’ve been clear for years, I wanted Kirk here. That was my #1. And while I didn’t love the Alex trade, I see both sides of it. I know why Bruce did it bc he didn’t want to have a losing season the same year he let Kirk walk for just a comp pick & Alex is at the worst a great leader and serviceable QB. I wouldn’t have traded Fuller but at the same time a 3rd and a slot corner for a starting QB is a good trade.t

Jay never said this but I think Jay wanted Colt to get his chance as a starter in 2018 & them to draft a rookie to develop behind him. I don’t think Jay likes the Alex trade - he wanted to keep Kirk or have Colt start - heck, he still tried to force Colt to start last year even though he wasn’t 100% healthy after his broken leg and multiple surgeries. Once Alex got here though, Jay was on board it’s hard not to like and admire Alex as a person.

Agree on your post 100%. I was actually thinking of editing what I said that if Alex hadn’t gotten hurt Bruce & Jay would still be here, but you made the point for me and I’ll just agree.

tipping derek jeter GIF

Edited by turtle28

I said it was a disastrous move when the trade went down.
I said they should just park him on IR permanently until they can get out from under the contract next season.

I don't get why they would activate him here. If he's playing, the season is over anyway. Why risk his health even further? He's a baller, yes, but taking him off the PUP made no sense.