Analytics and Film breakdown on why Rodgers is no longer elite

TecmoSuperJoe

On 8/21/2020 at 10:31 PM, Jlowe22 said:

Pretty simple really.  Rodgers was a physical specimen in his prime, and age and injuries will have an effect on that.  Brady and Brees had a game that relies much less on their physical attributes.  Even still, in both cases the physical decline is obvious and both are on borrowed time. But also, neither have had the relatively recent injuries like Rodgers.

Id also say Rodgers has had less help these last few years, magnifying the issues.

this, along with what @childofpudding said on the previous page, captures it just so perfectly.

the reason that brees and brady have been able to succeed at this point in their careers has been chiefly their adaptability and football smarts - as cliche as it sounds and rudimentary as it sounds if you can throw a tight spiral with good arm form, and throw it in the right place, the football by and large takes care of the rest - not saying that rodgers can't throw a tight spiral ofc but when those freak athletic plays start to disappear, whether through a combo of his decline, supporting cast, coaching, or heck any number of the three - a guy who relies on what rodgers relies on isn't going to age as gracefully as other 

• Like 1

On 8/18/2020 at 7:41 AM, childofpudding said:

"When charting Rodgers' film, it's important to focus on his down-in, down-out consistency rather than his flashy highlights."

This was arguably the best line of the video. More casual fans judge him on the highlights. Anyone paying attention play to play and game to game can see that he hasn't been close to his peak for a few years now. And yes, most of the advanced passing stats bear this out. He hasn't been top 5 in DYAR or DVOA since 2014.

I was saying this 5 years ago and getting flack for it. Sucks being ahead of your time. To me Rodgers was never throw in and throw out the best qb. He was just the flashiest... now someone else has that distinction 🤫😉.

13 hours ago, Bearerofnews said:

I was saying this 5 years ago and getting flack for it. Sucks being ahead of your time. To me Rodgers was never throw in and throw out the best qb. He was just the flashiest... now someone else has that distinction 🤫😉.

Five years ago he was coming off the stretch of 2010-2014 during which he was regularly in the top five, if not leading the league, in DVOA and DYAR.

It's not "being ahead of your time" if you're saying something is true before it later becomes true.

And at his peak, Rodgers was never "just the flashiest."

Edited by Coffee & Contemplation
  • Like 3

In 2011 Rodgers 5 WRs were Nelson, Jennings, Jones, Driver, and Cobb

• That squad elevated Matt Flynn to a 6 TD performance.

Its fine to cry about his current teammates as long as you recognize he had SB level teammates for about 5 or 6 years.

Brady's WRs in the 2016 playoffs:

• Hogan
  • Amendola
  • Edelman
  • Mitchell

103-142  72.5% 1037 yards 7.3 ypa 7 TDs 3 picks  100.6 rating.

Brady took that Championship without having the best team. Rodgers has 1 Super Bowl because he does not deserve to have 2.

• Amendola had 12 TDs in 5 years of regular season Patriots football.
    • Brady got 6 TDs out of him in the playoffs not because Amendola is elite but because Brady is elite.
  • Like 1

On 8/18/2020 at 4:01 AM, KingOfNewYork said:

Is there even actual determination for "Elite" I mean a Pro Bowler is a Pro Bowler, All Pro is an All Pro, etc...but Elite is baseless term, much like Superstar.

I tend to assume "Elite" is somewhere between All-Pro (best QB in the league for that season) and Pro Bowl (which has become meaningless, because a Pro Bowler would be one of the best 6 QBs in the league, but that depends on availability so sometimes a Pro Bowl QB is someone who was barely among the top half of QBs); so let's say if you were choosing the best 3-5 QBs in any given season, those would be your Elite QBs. And if someone is consistently among that group for a long stretch, then he is an Elite QB. 

The other side of that argument are the people who say Eli Manning and Joe Flacco are elite because they won Super Bowls. 

Edited by Mr Bad Example

4 hours ago, SkippyX said:

In 2011 Rodgers 5 WRs were Nelson, Jennings, Jones, Driver, and Cobb

• That squad elevated Matt Flynn to a 6 TD performance.

Its fine to cry about his current teammates as long as you recognize he had SB level teammates for about 5 or 6 years.

Lets be honest about this tidbit, that Matt Flynn game was also against one of the worst rosters of all time

On 8/18/2020 at 1:48 AM, JAF-N72EX said:

I stopped watching when the person said "today, we will discover why, in the last 5 years, he has not been an elite QB" o.O (while ignoring factors)

His "decline" is still better than most QB's in the league.  It seems to me that Rodgers had set the bar so high for himself during his "prime"(and I use that loosely) that unless he continued to progress from that point most would see it as a let down . While, again, ignoring other factors.  

Isn't that exactly what the video said?

• Like 1

On 8/21/2020 at 10:49 AM, Kiwibrown said:

What is a franchise qb? Jimmy g? Dak? Wentz? Matt ryan? 

Def not what most people on this site seem to consider it to be. 

4 hours ago, ASmithFan1010 said:

Not sure. Did they?  Like I said, I stopped watching. 

5 hours ago, ASmithFan1010 said:

He wouldn't know. Dude stopped a minute and 15 seconds into a 16 minute video insinuating there was an agenda because Alex Rollins "ignored other factors".

When in reality, if one does watch the video they would discover this wasn't the case. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

He wouldn't know. Dude stopped a minute and 15 seconds into a 16 minute video insinuating there was an agenda because Alex Rollins "ignored other factors".

When in reality, if one does watch the video they would discover this wasn't the case. 

Yeah, I already made all of this clear to him. No need to continue your childish antics.