2020 Western Conference 1st Round

11sanchez11

Not trying to overreact to one game, but the Lakers guard play looked atrocious out there. If Portland does pull off a miracle this series, could see a lot of new destinations for AD, if he so chooses to sign with another team. Just imagine AD in Miami or even this very Portland team.

Dame
CJ/Trent
Ariza/Melo
Davis
Nurkic/Collins

That is easily the best team in the NBA, imo.

it’s a big playoffs for AD. If you’re that dude let’s see it. you’ve been graciously put in people’s top 5 for a long time because you were a #1 pick and can do guard things as a big. let’s see you carry a team 

Edited by champ11
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, champ11 said:

it’s a big playoffs for AD. If you’re that dude let’s see it. you’ve been graciously put in people’s top 5 for a long time because you were a #1 pick and can do guard things as a big. let’s see you carry a team 

I mean, he sort of did that a couple of seasons ago in the playoffs. They just happened to run into the juggernaut Warriors that year. He's more than capable of dominating, but the one thing I've noticed about AD over the years is he thrives on the back of quality guard play. I think this is where they severely miss Rondo as a secondary ball handler.

11 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

I mean, he sort of did that a couple of seasons ago in the playoffs. They just happened to run into the juggernaut Warriors that year. He's more than capable of dominating, but the one thing I've noticed about AD over the years is he thrives on the back of quality guard play. I think this is where they severely miss Rondo as a secondary ball handler.

If your expectation for a top 5 or so player is carrying his squad through one playoff series against a meh team...then we differ there 

Edited by champ11

12 minutes ago, champ11 said:

If your expectation for a top 5 or so player is carrying his squad through one playoff series against a meh team...then we differ there 

I personally don't have AD in my top 5 (Giannis, LeBron, Kawhi, Durant, Curry/Harden), but he is in my top 10. Even so, we have plenty of great players who have historically underperformed in the playoffs or failed to "carry" their team, that doesn't reduce their greatness imo. Also a lot easier to "carry" a team as a guard/wing who has the ball in their hands the majority of the game; much harder to have that degree of influence as a big man.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

I personally don't have AD in my top 5 (Giannis, LeBron, Kawhi, Durant, Curry/Harden), but he is in my top 10. Even so, we have plenty of great players who have historically underperformed in the playoffs or failed to "carry" their team, that doesn't reduce their greatness imo. Also a lot easier to "carry" a team as a guard/wing who has the ball in their hands the majority of the game; much harder to have that degree of influence as a big man.

Agreed. When you look at all of the championship teams over the past few years, they've all been led by dominate guard/wing play, while the teams built around big men have struggled to make noise in the post season. 

7 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

I think the reason why I give AD crap about it is because he consistently gets the clout while guys like Harden (who are obviously better than AD) take crap for it. If he's going to be in that tier of players he should be held to the same standard. Most guys in that tier carry their team. It's the nature of being that good. AD isn't really that guy, IMO.  

He's in a great position playing next to essentially the best playmaker of all time. So let's see how he performs this playoffs. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Soon enough LeBron is going to demand AD playing the five and starting Kuzma to give him more spacing. They definitely look so limited at times despite having two superstars. LeBron's teams in the past have had great spacing but the defense was lacking. Now they have some defenders who are inconsistent AF shooting from down town lol. 

On the teams that LeBron has won with he has also always had an All-Star caliber guard/secondary creator to help take some of the pressure off of him. There's a significant difference between having a guard like Dwayne Wade/Kyrie Irving to lean on as opposed to guards like Dion Waiters and Alex Carusso. It also doesn't help that the Lakers don't have a ton of shooting and that LeBron is older now. 

Rob Pelinka's biggest mistake was waiting on Kawhi Leonard. The Lakers depth was going to be boo boo either way so they should've went from that third max contract guy early in free agency. If they would've added a guy like Kyrie Irving, Kemba Walker, or even D'Angelo Russell they would be in a much better spot IMO. 

10 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Personally there are only like 5 players that I'd take over Luka if I was starting a franchise today: Giannis, LeBron, Kawhi, Curry, and Durant (assuming he gets back to 100%). 

The only players I think are better than Luka right now are Giannis, LeBron, Kawhi, Harden and maybe Jokic. I doubt Steph/Durant will be better than him next year. 

• Like 2

Just now, Bullet Club said:

The only players I think are better than Luka right now are Giannis, LeBron, Kawhi, Harden and maybe Jokic. I doubt Steph/Durant will be better than him next year. 

That's the scary part. He made a significant jump from year one to year two and he's only 21 years old. I think it's fair to assume that he could be the fourth/fifth best player in the league next season as you said. 

Dallas is definitely one of, if not the most, exciting young teams in the league, IMO. Luka is going to be an absolute super star and Kristapas came on really strong at the end of the season too. If they can add the right pieces around those two the sky is the limit for them. 

• Like 1