Sign in to follow this  
west tx bengal fan

Summer Camp Roster Talk

A big HELLO out to all the regulars at FFF-Bengals.  I was a regular at CJ (with INdy) but am looking at how well it may fit to bring our group discussions over to this site given that CJ / SB Nation appear to be changing their site focus with respect to member forum discussion etc.

I wanted to get some chat going right away and see how receptive members are, so I'll just get started.

Right now, of course, there is an 80-man summer roster (with roster exceptions going to the COVID-IR squad the currently includes WR John Ross).  Included on the roster are players who are placed on the initial PUP and NFI lists.  I'm advised that OG Xavier Su'a Filo (from heretoforth known as XSF) is now off the NFI (after an off-season recovery from a L high ankle sprain & fibula fracture) and that DT Renell Wren is now off the PUP (after ending last season on IR with a L Hip injury).  There was some note (but I haven't seen verification) that rookie 7th Round pick LB Markus Bailey is off the NFI after October 2019 surgery to repair a torn R ACL.  Additionally, I haven't heard that WR Damion Willis (PUP), RB Rodney Anderson (PUP), OG Alex Redmond (NFI), or DE Khalid Kareem (NFI) are off their respective lists and participating in practices yet ... if anyone knows otherwise, please advise.  To review, PUP is used in the pre-season to designate a player who can't pass the entering physical to participate due to a pre-existing injury that occurred as a member of the Bengals and while participating in work related to official team duties, while NFI utilized to designate a similar situation except that the injury occurred either prior to becoming a Bengal or from a situation that wasn't related to official team duties.  Anderson's injury was a re-tear of his R ACL in the August 2019 pre-season finale vs. the Colts.  Kareem's injury was a torn L shoulder labrum requiring January 2020 surgery after his final game with Notre Dame.  Willis injury was non-disclosed, while Redmond's was noted to be a biceps injury that was unrelated to a similar injury that sent him to IR last season.  Players who start summer camp on PUP or NFI and remain on these lists at the end of camp are eligible to remain on the list for the first 6-10 weeks of the regular season while not being counted against the 53-man roster.  One final roster mention goes to OT Isaiah Prince and NT Josh Tupou who each opted out of playing the 2020 season due to associated risks of COVID.

Other recent news has the Bengals signing two DEs from the waiver wire:  Bryce Sterk, a CFA rookie cut by the Dolphins, and Amani Bledsoe, a 1st year player cut by the Titans after spending 2019 on their Practice Squad.  With John Ross on the COVID-IR list, the Bengals will need to cut one player from the current 80-man roster once both of these players clear their physicals and COVID testing.  My guess is that DE Kendall Futrell or one of the bottom tier WRs (Lodge, Irwin, or Washington) might be that guy.

Although it's early to discuss (they haven't even started scrimmaging in pads yet), the final roster will include 53 players on the Active Roster and up to 16 players on the Practice Squad.  If the team keeps all 16 PS players from their current summer roster, the Bengals would end up retaining all but 13 of the 84 (79 currently on the roster, Ross, the two waiver acquisitions, and the two COVID Opt-Out players) players who are currently affiliated with the team.

So the discussion here focuses on who makes the 53 and who goes to the 16-man PS.

As I am prone to do, I'll answer my own thread first by looking at how the 53-man roster typically is structured and putting out how the current pecking order for the summer roster appears.

Usual 53-man roster goes something in these ranges:  QB (2-3), RB (3-4), TE (3-4), WR (6-7), OL (8-9), DT (4-5), DE (4-5), LB (5-7), DB (9-11), STs (3).  The totals of each roster area vary, but the sum must be 53.

Right now the depth chart looks about like this (my estimate; yours may vary, of course):

QB:  Burrow, Finley, Allen, Dolegala

RB:  Mixon, Bernard, TWilliams, Perine, Patrick;  PUP: RAnderson

TE:  Uzomah, Sample, Carter, Schreck, Franks, Wilcox

WR: Green, Ross (COVID-IR), Boyd, Higgins, Tate, Erickson, Morgan, Thomas, Irwin, Washington, Lodge;  PUP: Willis

OL:  JWilliams, Jordan, Hopkins, XSF, Hart, FJohnson, Price, Adeniji, Dugas, Cordasco, Knipfel;  NFI: Redmond

DT:  Reader, Atkins, Daniels, Wren, Akinmoladun, Dishon

DE:  Dunlap, Hubbard, Lawson, ABrown, Futrell, Sterk, Bledsoe;  NFI: Kareem

LB:  Pratt, Bynes, LWilson, ADavis-Gaither, Evans, Calitro, Sheldon, Spears;  NFI: Bailey

S:  Bell, Bates, SWilliams, BWilson, Henderson

CB:  Waynes, WJackson, Alexander, Phillips, Sims, Rose, TBrown, Mabin, McTyer

STs:  K - Bullock, Vizcaino;  P - Huber, Vizcaino;  LS - Harris, Godsil

• Like 1

Part 3 of 3

QB (3): Right now I see them keeping 3 QBs.  It appears that they'll possibly quarantine one of them (currently are doing this with Allen).  I believe the QB4 will be on the PS.

RB (4):  Mixon, Bernard, and TWilliams are RB1-3.  Perine or Anderson are my favorites for RB4.  Anderson could start on PUP.  If he does, then I'd expect Patrick to be on the PS.

TE (4):  Uzomah, Sample, and Carter are TE1-3.  I think any of the remainers (Schreck, Franks, Wilcox) could snap TE4 with at least one of the two remainers on PS.

WR (6):  Green, Ross (I think he'll be back off COVID-IR by then), Boyd, Higgins, and Tate are WR1-5.  I suspect that Erickson will start as WR6 (although I think he'd be a good target for a trade, if not).  Morgan and Thomas will be in consideration for WR6.  Morgan could be a PS guy as could one of three of Washington, Irwin, or Lodge.  Not sure what's up with Willis, but maybe he's a PUP guy to start season?  Otherwise, he'd appear headed to the PS at best.

OL (9):  JWilliams, Jordan, Hopkins, XSF, Hart, FJohnson, Price, Adeniji and clear OL1-8.  OL9 will be Redmond (if back) vs. Dugas.  Redmond could go to NFI; Dugas could go to PS.  Would expect the better of Cordasco vs. Knipfel to have a good PS shot.

DL (9):  Reader, Atkins, Daniels, Wren, Dunlap, Hubbard, and Lawson are DL1-7.  ABrown has inside as DL8.  Kareem could start on NFI or otherwise would be likely DL9.  If Kareem starts on NFI, it will be a scrum between everyone else for a DL9 spot with 1-2 more going to PS.

LB (6): Pratt, Bynes, LWilson, and ADG are LB1-4.  Evans has inside shot to LB5.  LB6 would conceivably go to Bailey, unless he stats season on NFI in which case it's a scrum for a LB6 spot with at least one more on PS.

DB (10):  Waynes, WJackson, Alexander, Phillips, and Sims are CB1-5 (even tho Waynes is expected to miss 2 months, I don't think they'll IR-return him.. it's possible tho).  CB6 reportedly is a scrum between Rose and TBrown, but I wouldn't count out Mabin or McTyer either.  Expect at least one of these bubble guys to be on PS.  Bell, Bates, SWilliams, and BWilson are S1-4.  Henderson could battle for a bubble spot against RB4, OL9, DL9, or LB6 if he lights up camp, but I expect him to be on PS.

STs (3):  Huber, Bullock, and Harris as usual.  The other two guys will be potential street FAs in this COVID plagued season.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, west tx bengal fan said:

Part 3 of 3

QB (3): Right now I see them keeping 3 QBs.  It appears that they'll possibly quarantine one of them (currently are doing this with Allen).  I believe the QB4 will be on the PS.

RB (4):  Mixon, Bernard, and TWilliams are RB1-3.  Perine or Anderson are my favorites for RB4.  Anderson could start on PUP.  If he does, then I'd expect Patrick to be on the PS.

TE (4):  Uzomah, Sample, and Carter are TE1-3.  I think any of the remainers (Schreck, Franks, Wilcox) could snap TE4 with at least one of the two remainers on PS.

WR (6):  Green, Ross (I think he'll be back off COVID-IR by then), Boyd, Higgins, and Tate are WR1-5.  I suspect that Erickson will start as WR6 (although I think he'd be a good target for a trade, if not).  Morgan and Thomas will be in consideration for WR6.  Morgan could be a PS guy as could one of three of Washington, Irwin, or Lodge.  Not sure what's up with Willis, but maybe he's a PUP guy to start season?  Otherwise, he'd appear headed to the PS at best.

OL (9):  JWilliams, Jordan, Hopkins, XSF, Hart, FJohnson, Price, Adeniji and clear OL1-8.  OL9 will be Redmond (if back) vs. Dugas.  Redmond could go to NFI; Dugas could go to PS.  Would expect the better of Cordasco vs. Knipfel to have a good PS shot.

DL (9):  Reader, Atkins, Daniels, Wren, Dunlap, Hubbard, and Lawson are DL1-7.  ABrown has inside as DL8.  Kareem could start on NFI or otherwise would be likely DL9.  If Kareem starts on NFI, it will be a scrum between everyone else for a DL9 spot with 1-2 more going to PS.

LB (6): Pratt, Bynes, LWilson, and ADG are LB1-4.  Evans has inside shot to LB5.  LB6 would conceivably go to Bailey, unless he stats season on NFI in which case it's a scrum for a LB6 spot with at least one more on PS.

DB (10):  Waynes, WJackson, Alexander, Phillips, and Sims are CB1-5 (even tho Waynes is expected to miss 2 months, I don't think they'll IR-return him.. it's possible tho).  CB6 reportedly is a scrum between Rose and TBrown, but I wouldn't count out Mabin or McTyer either.  Expect at least one of these bubble guys to be on PS.  Bell, Bates, SWilliams, and BWilson are S1-4.  Henderson could battle for a bubble spot against RB4, OL9, DL9, or LB6 if he lights up camp, but I expect him to be on PS.

STs (3):  Huber, Bullock, and Harris as usual.  The other two guys will be potential street FAs in this COVID plagued season.

As almost always, I agree with almost all of this, so I'll chime in on places where I'd go a slightly different route.

QB.. Agree with the 3 on the roster plus one on practice squad, but I'm tjhiking that they keep Burrow, Finley and Dolegada on the 53, with the new qb Brandon Allen being the PS guy.  As we discussed on the other site, i think that they will end up bubbling him with a couple of PS WRs to get work in while not being exposed to the rest of the team in case COVID hits here.

RB  Agreed, and I'd like to find a way to keep Perine on the 53, but barring injury, don't see the way yet (unless, like you noted, they leave Anderson on PUP for the first 6-9 weeks)

TE  they only go three.  The rest of the guys are fodder, so keep an extra WR.  Those guys are all better as players than the 4th TE anyway.  Carter, Sample, Uzomah.

WR- they keep 7.  Green, Ross, Boyd, Higgins, Tate, Erickson, Morgan.  If one gets injured, then Thomas grabs the last spot.  washington and Willis to the PS for sure.  Maybe a third player too, and at least one of them goes hide with Allen on the side somewhere.

OL  Top 8 are set.  I think Redmond beats out Dugas, but injuries always hit here, so don't count Dugas out yet.  They might keep 2 PS guys from the oline

DL  The nine you have are the same as mine.  The two that are out (Glascow, Tupou) have been more than adequately replaced.

LB  If Bailey is indeed active, then Callitro is in trouble.  He's my next guy after the top 6.  Maybe he edges out Evans, or else he goes PS.  I think 2 LBs go to the PS regardless.

DB  Agreed, and I think they keep Henderson and at least 2 CBs on the PS.  If Waynes is out more than a couple of games, they probably IR him and recall later.  If it's only a couple of games, then they use the PS waiver to call one of the CBs up immediately the first few weeks.

ST.  Vizcaiano to the PS, especially since he can also punt in a pinch.  That's a great guy for special teams practice.  I think they keep Godsil on the PS too, and develop him as the long term replacement for Harris

I honestly agree with most of your post. It will be interesting to see how the practice squad is maintained this year. 

anyone see any chances for a surprise cut? I don’t think we do with the uncertainty this year. 

11 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

I honestly agree with most of your post. It will be interesting to see how the practice squad is maintained this year. 

anyone see any chances for a surprise cut? I don’t think we do with the uncertainty this year. 

Bobby Hart?

tenor.gif

2 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Bobby Hart?

tenor.gif

Under most scenarios in any other year, I'd say i agree with the possibility.  Given the lack of in person practices, OTAs, etc, I think he sticks no matter what.  I just don't trust one of the younger guys to be better, despite the cost savings.  If they extend Mixon and need the cap space, then yeah, i guess it's a possibility.

With waynes now out for awhile, I could see them at least calling DreK if they don't like the back end depth at CB.  But I doubt it.  

2 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

at least calling DreK

He's still available?  He's serviceable, at the very least.  Must be asking for too much.

14 hours ago, west tx bengal fan said:

A big HELLO out to all the regulars at FFF-Bengals. 

Also, welcome! 😃

Dolegala might get PS offers from other teams but there's no need to keep him on the 53 (nor was there any need last year either).  He'd certainly clear waivers. Finley probably would too. 

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

Dolegala might get PS offers from other teams but there's no need to keep him on the 53 (nor was there any need last year either).  He'd certainly clear waivers. Finley probably would too. 

Maybe, but is Brandon Allen really any better?  Asking for a friend....

Thanks for the great responses so far and for the welcomes.

As INdy probably told you all, we run these threads regularly during the off-season and pre-season with focus on roster.  During the season we focus on how the various sub-units are faring.  It's mostly longer reading, and some aren't into the longer posts.  But we have a lot of fun and mutual respect.

I'll probably get back to individual posts when I get more time this week.  For now I wanted to add some developments I noted today:

The Enquirer (cincinnati.com) reported today that everyone was practicing except for:  WR Scott Washington (undisclosed injury), CB Trae Waynes (Pec surgery), WR John Ross (COVID-IR), DE Bryce Sterk (new waiver claim waiting to pass thru COVID testing protocols), DE Khalid Kareem (shoulder surgery), Alex Redmond (doing conditioning work on side), Rodney Anderson (coming off ACL), and WR Tee Higgins (undisclosed injury, working on side).

Additionally, the Enquirer reported these developments during and after practice:

* WR A.J. Green went to sidelines with hamstring tightness... no word on extent of injury

* NT Renell Wren went down in practice and was carted off.  Pics showed staff looking at his R knee, so this could be serious

* The club reported that CB Trae Waynes had pec surgery and will miss most of season.  He appears likely to be going to IR-return designation at start of season (meaning that he'll have to be on the 53 after cutdown and then moved onto IR).

* The club waived RB Rodney Anderson with failed physical designation.  It's possible that he could return to IR if not claimed but would miss the whole season.  At this point I suspect that the Bengals are cutting ties.

* DE Bryce Sterk cleared COVID protocols and will be active tomorrow.

As for prior discussion about players on NFI/PUP, it appears that Damion Willis and Markus Bailey are now active.  Alex Redmond and Khalid Kareem both appear to still be on the NFI list.

Analysis

1.  Waynes Injury:  the thought is that Phillips will move to the CB2 spot in his place

2.  Rodney Anderson:  now the RB4 spot, if the team keeps one, is between Perine and Patrick

3.  Wren's Injury:  the team will not have a legit backup NT behind Reader and might be back out looking for a 320-340 pound FA.  Perhaps Domata Peko's name will be considered again?

4.  WR:  the team now has Green, Ross, and Higgins on sidelines

So about the WRs.  I had Thomas as the 8th guy going into camp behind Green, Boyd, Higgins, Ross, Tate, Erickson and probably Morgan.  He probably has jumped Morgan, based on camp reports,  but Stanley still is a stud special teamer.  As always, injuries will play a part, but the most pivotal injury for this group so far for who makes it isn't even a WR.  It's Trae Waynes.  Because he is out, Phillips probably starts, and thus won't be the primary punt returner.  Which means Erickson is almost assuredly a lock at this point.

As for Thomas, I think it's him vs. Morgan at the moment.  At least until Ross is on IR

5 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

So about the WRs.  I had Thomas as the 8th guy going into camp behind Green, Boyd, Higgins, Ross, Tate, Erickson and probably Morgan.  He probably has jumped Morgan, based on camp reports,  but Stanley still is a stud special teamer.  As always, injuries will play a part, but the most pivotal injury for this group so far for who makes it isn't even a WR.  It's Trae Waynes.  Because he is out, Phillips probably starts, and thus won't be the primary punt returner.  Which means Erickson is almost assuredly a lock at this point.

As for Thomas, I think it's him vs. Morgan at the moment.  At least until Ross is on IR

I think they're going to find a way to keep Thomas.  I think they really like him as a receiver.  The decision will likely be based on ST's though, so he needs to show something there.

Also, lol at the bolded.