Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
west tx bengal fan

Summer Camp Roster Talk

Recommended Posts

On 8/18/2020 at 12:41 AM, west tx bengal fan said:

Analysis

1.  Waynes Injury:  the thought is that Phillips will move to the CB2 spot in his place

2.  Rodney Anderson:  now the RB4 spot, if the team keeps one, is between Perine and Patrick

3.  Wren's Injury:  the team will not have a legit backup NT behind Reader and might be back out looking for a 320-340 pound FA.  Perhaps Domata Peko's name will be considered again?

4.  WR:  the team now has Green, Ross, and Higgins on sidelines

Agreed with these.  

I also agree that Rodney is probably gone, for good.  I don't think we'll see him in the NFL again, personally.  Sucks for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be surprised if we don't keep Perine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/17/2020 at 7:32 AM, INbengalfan said:

As almost always, I agree with almost all of this, so I'll chime in on places where I'd go a slightly different route.

QB.. Agree with the 3 on the roster plus one on practice squad, but I'm tjhiking that they keep Burrow, Finley and Dolegada on the 53, with the new qb Brandon Allen being the PS guy.  As we discussed on the other site, i think that they will end up bubbling him with a couple of PS WRs to get work in while not being exposed to the rest of the team in case COVID hits here.

RB  Agreed, and I'd like to find a way to keep Perine on the 53, but barring injury, don't see the way yet (unless, like you noted, they leave Anderson on PUP for the first 6-9 weeks)

TE  they only go three.  The rest of the guys are fodder, so keep an extra WR.  Those guys are all better as players than the 4th TE anyway.  Carter, Sample, Uzomah.

WR- they keep 7.  Green, Ross, Boyd, Higgins, Tate, Erickson, Morgan.  If one gets injured, then Thomas grabs the last spot.  washington and Willis to the PS for sure.  Maybe a third player too, and at least one of them goes hide with Allen on the side somewhere.

OL  Top 8 are set.  I think Redmond beats out Dugas, but injuries always hit here, so don't count Dugas out yet.  They might keep 2 PS guys from the oline

 

DL  The nine you have are the same as mine.  The two that are out (Glascow, Tupou) have been more than adequately replaced.

LB  If Bailey is indeed active, then Callitro is in trouble.  He's my next guy after the top 6.  Maybe he edges out Evans, or else he goes PS.  I think 2 LBs go to the PS regardless.

DB  Agreed, and I think they keep Henderson and at least 2 CBs on the PS.  If Waynes is out more than a couple of games, they probably IR him and recall later.  If it's only a couple of games, then they use the PS waiver to call one of the CBs up immediately the first few weeks.

ST.  Vizcaiano to the PS, especially since he can also punt in a pinch.  That's a great guy for special teams practice.  I think they keep Godsil on the PS too, and develop him as the long term replacement for Harris

Hey INdy:

On your comments above:

QB:  I'm just not sure how the PS rules have been adjusted this year in regard to max limits for NFL experience.... Allen is a 4th year.  I think they're allowed to have 1-2 4th year players, but I don't remember where the PS rules are at on this.  Worst case scenario for Allen is to have him available as a street FA.  But I think they'll make a hard decision on Dolegala this year as to whether he projects to ever be a pro capable QB and then to base his roster assignment based on that.  We just never get much info on Dolegala which is kinda frustrating (I know he's one of your favorite underdogs).

RB:  With Anderson waived, I would NOT be surprised to see them go with 3 RBs and a 4th on PS.

TE:  I'm probably going to break on this with you as I think they like the 4th TE for STs work.  But they could go with two on PS... figure you need 5 in house since this position always racks up injuries in season.

WR: Would not be surprised at all to see 7 retained on roster.  I guess Thomas is looking very good so far, and, as you note, Morgan was considered to be a top STs guy last year (not only on Bengals roster but for the entire league.. he'd prob get snatched up if waived).  I would not be surprised to see Erickson traded if they can find someone interested.  They have little use for him as a WR (even tho he showed last year that he can produce in that role).  He's very steady at PR, and I doubt they want to put Phillips out there for that given that he'll prob be the CB2 at season's start.  So a few things to work out here, and there can always be injuries etc.

OL:  We are in complete agreement here except that I'm not sure how good or bad Dugas is (and what Redmond's physical issues might be).

DL:  Now that Wren is injured and probably gone for the season, we'll have to see how they respond.  Some are asking for Damon "Snacks" Harrison which might be a good option if we can get him on a team friendly deal.  I'm not sure what Peko has left in the tank, but I'd like to see him back on a 1-yr deal if he can play.

LB:  I'm pretty sure Bailey is playing.  Figure they keep 6.  Pratt and Bynes are the guys who will play the 5-2 looks.  They'll keep all 3 rookies and Evan, who apparently has upped his game.  That has Spears and Calitro on PS.

DB:  The thing about Waynes is that he'll need to take an initial roster spot if they want him eligible for IR-return (as they've noted that he'll miss most of the season).  So look for him to get moved to IR on Monday after the initial Saturday cutdown date.  Prob not a huge deal this year but does expose one roster guy to a waiver claim elsewhere.  Maybe that's a good gamble with a qualified vet (like Thomas) who can't be claimed and can arrange a deal to sign back two days later?  I'd still be surprised to see them sign another CB as they're very deep here and now can retain 2 of the 4 players including Rose, TBrown, McTyer, and Mabin.

ST:  PS spots for the two you mentioned will just depend on how many slots they have available on this roster that is expanded this season to 16.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, theJ said:

Agreed with these.  

I also agree that Rodney is probably gone, for good.  I don't think we'll see him in the NFL again, personally.  Sucks for him.

I also suspect that Anderson is done as it would be uncommon for the Bengals to hold him another year in this scenario... in which case this means that his knee surgery didn't go well enough to allow him, in their team doc's opinion, to play at 100% ever again.  It's all a guess... but he had a whole year to rehab that knee and isn't ready.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the first scrimmage in, the positional areas look to be shoring up as follows:

QB:  Burrow, Finley, Dolegala, Allen ... Dolegala in front of Allen simply because Allen didn't get snaps and Dolegala did

RB:  Mixon, Bernard, TWilliams, Patrick, Perine ... sounds like Patrick forged ahead of Perine for RB4 vs. PS RB spot

TE:  Uzomah, Sample, Carter, Schreck, Franks, Wilcox ... not sure where the final 3 stand right now but have only heard Schreck's name noted in anything from camp

WR: Green, Ross, Boyd, Higgins, Tate, Erickson, Thomas, Morgan, Willis, Irwin, Washington, Lodge ... Ross will be back this weekend, and I don't think he lost ground with Green & Higgins also being out much of the time Ross was gone; Tate, Erickson, and Thomas all locked good (which also says a lot about Burrow's ability to keep things rolling with WR5-7) ... starting to look stronger for a 7-WR group to start season with Thomas vs. Morgan in the WR7 battle right now

OL:  JWilliams, Jordan, Hopkins, XSF, Hart, FJohnson, Price, Adeniji, Dugas, Cordasco, Knipfel;  NFI: Redmond .... no changes in the OL pecking order so far

DT:  Reader, Atkins, Daniels, Akinmoladun, Dishon;  IR: Wren ... will be interesting to see whether team rounds up a relatively value vet acquisition for NT2 or simply lets Akinmoladun battle Dishon for the DT4 spot (which could be a legit thing as we don't know anything about how these guys look); another note I read is that Andrew Brown has a big opportunity this year to show his abilities as a DT/DE tweener after already showing last year that he can give quality snaps at DE

DE:  Dunlap, Hubbard, Lawson, ABrown, Futrell, Sterk, Bledsoe;  NFI: Kareem ... no changes here either... Kareem starting to look like he'll start season on NFI; the DE5 spot looks to be weak with Futrell, Sterk, and Bledsoe in contention

LB:  Pratt, Bynes, LWilson, ADavis-Gaither, Bailey, Evans, Calitro, Sheldon, Spears ... moved Bailey into the LB5 spot with Evans at LB6 just based on comments from practice on who is getting snaps

S:  Bell, Bates, SWilliams, BWilson, Henderson ... Williams injury reportedly not terrible, so Henderson for now is on the bubble at best

CB:  WJackson, Phillips, Alexander, Sims, Rose, TBrown, Mabin, McTyer; IR-return: Waynes ... Waynes' injury will likely put him on IR (but only after making the 53-man first as is required to allow the "return" status in-season); Phillips moves up to CB2 with Sims, Rose, and TBrown battling for CB5-6 roles

STs:  K - Bullock, Vizcaino;  P - Huber, Vizcaino;  LS - Harris, Godsil ... no changes noted or expected; by report, Vizcaino is kicking well in practice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, west tx bengal fan said:

With the first scrimmage in, the positional areas look to be shoring up as follows:

QB:  Burrow, Finley, Dolegala, Allen ... Dolegala in front of Allen simply because Allen didn't get snaps and Dolegala did

RB:  Mixon, Bernard, TWilliams, Patrick, Perine ... sounds like Patrick forged ahead of Perine for RB4 vs. PS RB spot

TE:  Uzomah, Sample, Carter, Schreck, Franks, Wilcox ... not sure where the final 3 stand right now but have only heard Schreck's name noted in anything from camp

WR: Green, Ross, Boyd, Higgins, Tate, Erickson, Thomas, Morgan, Willis, Irwin, Washington, Lodge ... Ross will be back this weekend, and I don't think he lost ground with Green & Higgins also being out much of the time Ross was gone; Tate, Erickson, and Thomas all locked good (which also says a lot about Burrow's ability to keep things rolling with WR5-7) ... starting to look stronger for a 7-WR group to start season with Thomas vs. Morgan in the WR7 battle right now

OL:  JWilliams, Jordan, Hopkins, XSF, Hart, FJohnson, Price, Adeniji, Dugas, Cordasco, Knipfel;  NFI: Redmond .... no changes in the OL pecking order so far

DT:  Reader, Atkins, Daniels, Akinmoladun, Dishon;  IR: Wren ... will be interesting to see whether team rounds up a relatively value vet acquisition for NT2 or simply lets Akinmoladun battle Dishon for the DT4 spot (which could be a legit thing as we don't know anything about how these guys look); another note I read is that Andrew Brown has a big opportunity this year to show his abilities as a DT/DE tweener after already showing last year that he can give quality snaps at DE

DE:  Dunlap, Hubbard, Lawson, ABrown, Futrell, Sterk, Bledsoe;  NFI: Kareem ... no changes here either... Kareem starting to look like he'll start season on NFI; the DE5 spot looks to be weak with Futrell, Sterk, and Bledsoe in contention

LB:  Pratt, Bynes, LWilson, ADavis-Gaither, Bailey, Evans, Calitro, Sheldon, Spears ... moved Bailey into the LB5 spot with Evans at LB6 just based on comments from practice on who is getting snaps

S:  Bell, Bates, SWilliams, BWilson, Henderson ... Williams injury reportedly not terrible, so Henderson for now is on the bubble at best

CB:  WJackson, Phillips, Alexander, Sims, Rose, TBrown, Mabin, McTyer; IR-return: Waynes ... Waynes' injury will likely put him on IR (but only after making the 53-man first as is required to allow the "return" status in-season); Phillips moves up to CB2 with Sims, Rose, and TBrown battling for CB5-6 roles

STs:  K - Bullock, Vizcaino;  P - Huber, Vizcaino;  LS - Harris, Godsil ... no changes noted or expected; by report, Vizcaino is kicking well in practice

So right now I'd look for these sets of rosters for the 53-man and 16-man PS:

QB (3): Burrow, Finley, Dolegala;  PS (1): Allen

RB (3): Mixon, Bernard, TWilliams;  PS (2): Patrick, Perine

TE (4): Uzomah, Sample, Carter, Schreck;  PS (2): Franks, Wilcox

WR (7): Green, Ross, Boyd, Higgins, Tate, Erickson, Thomas;  PS (2): Morgan, Willis

OL (9): JWilliams, Jordan, Hopkins, XSF, Hart, Price, FJohnson, Adeniji, Redmond;  PS (2): Dugas, Cordasco

DT (4): Reader, Atkins, Daniels, Akinmoladun;  PS (1): Dishon;  IR (1): Wren

DE (4😞Dunlap, Hubbard, Lawson, ABrown; PS (1😞 Bledsoe; NFI (1): Kareem

LB (6): Pratt, Bynes, LWilson, ADG, Bailey, Evans;  PS (2😞Calitro, Spears

S (4): Bell, Bates, SWilliams, BWilson;  PS (1): Henderson

CB (6): WJackson, Phillips, Alexander, Sims, Rose, TBrown;  PS (2😞Mabin, McTyer; IR-return (1): Waynes 

STs (3): K-Bullock, P-Huber, LS-Harris

Edited by west tx bengal fan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, west tx bengal fan said:

So right now I'd look for these sets of rosters for the 53-man and 16-man PS:

QB (3): Burrow, Finley, Dolegala;  PS (1): Allen

RB (3): Mixon, Bernard, TWilliams;  PS (2): Patrick, Perine

TE (4): Uzomah, Sample, Carter, Schreck;  PS (2): Franks, Wilcox

WR (7): Green, Ross, Boyd, Higgins, Tate, Erickson, Thomas;  PS (2): Morgan, Willis

OL (9): JWilliams, Jordan, Hopkins, XSF, Hart, Price, FJohnson, Adeniji, Redmond;  PS (2): Dugas, Cordasco

DT (4): Reader, Atkins, Daniels, Akinmoladun;  PS (1): Dishon;  IR (1): Wren

DE (4😞Dunlap, Hubbard, Lawson, ABrown; PS (1😞 Bledsoe; NFI (1): Kareem

LB (6): Pratt, Bynes, LWilson, ADG, Bailey, Evans;  PS (2😞Calitro, Spears

S (4): Bell, Bates, SWilliams, BWilson;  PS (1): Henderson

CB (6): WJackson, Phillips, Alexander, Sims, Rose, TBrown;  PS (2😞Mabin, McTyer; IR-return (1): Waynes 

STs (3): K-Bullock, P-Huber, LS-Harris

Only  places that I disagree, and not even by much.

Give me four RBs and 3 TEs.  So swap the RB winner (Perine/Patrick) with Schreck, with Schreck to PS.  And I'd only keep 2 GTEs on the PS anyway, opening up a spot for another position.  More on that later.

Agreed that Redmond will get OL spot if he comes off NFI.  But if Kareem does as well, then I simply move Andrew Brown from DE to DT in the count and roll with those 8.  Before the season I would have said 10 total, but the injuries to Wren and Glascow (from last year), plus the opt out by Tupou thinned the numbers and made the hard cut choices rather easy.  I don't think a ninth DL is a better player than the last guys at certain other positions.

You only have 15 guys on your PS, plus I dropped a RB from the squad when I went from 3 to 4 (and still kept only two PS TEs).  I'm using those two spots on Vizcaino and Godsil.  They will be the kicker and holder combo in the future, at least until we actually draft and keep a kicker that's better.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, west tx bengal fan said:

Finley, Dolegala;

I feel like this order is obviously wrong to everyone except the staff.

Otherwise i generally agree with what you wrote.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, INbengalfan said:

Only  places that I disagree, and not even by much.

Give me four RBs and 3 TEs.  So swap the RB winner (Perine/Patrick) with Schreck, with Schreck to PS.  And I'd only keep 2 GTEs on the PS anyway, opening up a spot for another position.  More on that later.

Agreed that Redmond will get OL spot if he comes off NFI.  But if Kareem does as well, then I simply move Andrew Brown from DE to DT in the count and roll with those 8.  Before the season I would have said 10 total, but the injuries to Wren and Glascow (from last year), plus the opt out by Tupou thinned the numbers and made the hard cut choices rather easy.  I don't think a ninth DL is a better player than the last guys at certain other positions.

You only have 15 guys on your PS, plus I dropped a RB from the squad when I went from 3 to 4 (and still kept only two PS TEs).  I'm using those two spots on Vizcaino and Godsil.  They will be the kicker and holder combo in the future, at least until we actually draft and keep a kicker that's better.

 

 

Good to hear back from you INdy.  So it looks like roster narrowing down.  Any reasonable roster analyst would have to concede that these bubble decisions could take a lot of turns from now until final cutdown weekend, so it's totally reasonable that the team might make the decisions you note.  There is still a lot that can happen especially with injuries, COVID, waiver acquisitions, and injuries... did I say "injuries" twice?  LOL

Players are falling like flies around the league.  It would be interesting to see an article on comparisons to the last five summer camps for NFL players and enumerated camp injuries.  Every year it seems like there are a lot, so maybe I'm overstating?

Since there is no formal pre-season schedule, comparative roster talk becomes more difficult.  Who do you see around the Division, Conference, and League as the teams to watch (i.e., "better teams") for 2020?  In the AFC North I guess it would be stupid not to recognize the Ravens who looked last season to be heading to a SB season and who have upgraded in several areas while bringing back Lamar Jackson who is starting to expand his passing game to go with a running threat that is quite unique.  The Browns have had the talent for a couple of years, so who knows when they ever figure it out?  The Steelers always find a way to win, but the question mark is whether Big Ben's injury allows him a full recovery or not.  In that mix the Bengals will be considered to be the last place team again UNTIL they cn show that it's a different team.  From our standpoint it will be a different team on these accounts:  1. Burrow at QB;  2. Mixon with the same OL blocking scheme from Day 1 of season;  3. WRs healthy with addition of Higgins makes the group lethal;  4. OL maturing with a lot of hopes from left side between Jonah Williams and Michael Jordan;  5. Reader cementing a very good interior DL;  6. A nice set of DEs to apply rush pressure;  7. A Revamped set of young LBs who are looking the part in camp;  8. A deep set of DBs with acquisitions of experienced vets S Vonn Bell and CBs Alexander, Sims, Rose, and TBrown (and maybe Waynes off IR-return at end of season?);  9. The incumbent #1 STs unit in the NFL with a steady trio of specialists all returning;  10. A mostly full set of young, returning coaching staff with a full year under its belt and a nice set of acquisitions to fill holes that were limiting the team in 2019.  It's always tough to predict when you have a favorite team in the mix (emotions take over), when there are a bunch of roster changes, and when you throw in variables like COVID, lack of pre-season, young coaches, and a rookie QB.  So I'll take the Bengals at 6-8 wins for 2020 right now... which I see as 3rd in the Division and a very small shot at maybe the #7 playoff seed in the AFC.  Anything above that would, I think, be a very uplifting season here.

As for the rest of the AFC, you always gotta respect Bill Belichick in the East even when they take away his QB and several other of his top players.  The Jets and Dolphins still don't have a clue, while Buffalo is solid but prone to self-destruction.  In the South you have Jax looking very crappy on paper after losing several good players, while TN, Indy, and Hou are all 8-8 or better teams.  In the West KC returns mostly intact with a young QB, an amazing set of receivers, and team speed that is pretty scary... so they'll be the favorites.  SD and Den both have young QBs and are recovering from roster and coaching carousels.  Oak has Gruden, so I'll never count them out (although I'll also never be quite sure what happens at any moment there).... but playing in Vegas should be interesting, at least.  So right now I'll take Balt, NE, Indy, and KC as the Division favorites with the three WC teams as Hou, TN, and Cle.  That leaves out Cin along with Pitt, Buff, and Oak.  Contralaterally, I'd say that if NYJ, Mia, Jax, Den, or SD made the playoffs that it would be a big surprise.  

In the NFC Dallas is looking good in the East (as they always do in pre-season) along with Phi, while Wash and NYG are troubled.  In the South it's pairing up to be a battle of titans between Drew Brees and Tom Brady... I am liking TB to prevail if they can play some D and keep receivers mostly healthy.  In the North you have to like Zimmer's consistency in MN and Rogers continued mastery.  The Lions and Bears still don't seem to have it all together.  Finally in the NFC West the 49ers seem to have regrouped well; the Seahawk still have Pete Carroll and Russell Wilson; the Rams are trying to recover with a still good roster; and the Cards appear to be up-and-coming on O.  So right now I'll take Dall, TB, MN, and SF as the NFC Division favorites with the three WC teams as Sea, NO, and Phi.  That leaves our AZ, LAR, and GB.  I'd be surprised to see Wash, NYG, Atl, Caro, Det, or Chi make the playoffs in the NFC.

Looking at the rest of the league, I think, gives you some perspective about your own team.  Most would consider the Bengals as one of about 12 teams (the other 11 I listed above) that would be a surprise to make the tournament.  We see it differently, of course, because the Bengals are our team.  And Joe Burrow is our hope... kinda the Luke Skywalker of the current age.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, theJ said:

I feel like this order is obviously wrong to everyone except the staff.

Otherwise i generally agree with what you wrote.

Hey J

Do you think Dolegala is #2 and Allen/Finley #3?  Or Dolegala #4 with Allen/Finley #2?

The staff, it seems, is more likely to see it as the latter.  I personally don't have a feel for where Dolegala sits because we have seen so little of him since last August when his success in pre-season was tempered against the note that he was playing against competition that was second tier.  One thing you will mostly hear me say when considering these situations is that the staff gets to see players up close, 24/7, while we see the players in limited situations.  So the coaches know all the intangibles (e.g., knowing the playbook, dealing with stress, personal habits, practice performance etc.) that can affect trust and other issues that relate to roster standing.  I'm not ready yet to say that Zac Taylor & Co. know less than I do about the players on the roster, but I concede that we don't really know much about Dolegala and his development in the past 12 calendar months.

Edited by west tx bengal fan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, west tx bengal fan said:

Hey J

Do you think Dolegala is #2 and Allen/Finley #3?  Or Dolegala #4 with Allen/Finley #2?

The staff, it seems, is more likely to see it as the latter.  I personally don't have a feel for where Dolegala sits because we have seen so little of him since last August when his success in pre-season was tempered against the note that he was playing against competition that was second tier.  One thing you will mostly hear me say when considering these situations is that the staff gets to see players up close, 24/7, while we see the players in limited situations.  So the coaches know all the intangibles (e.g., knowing the playbook, dealing with stress, personal habits, practice performance etc.) that can affect trust and other issues that relate to roster standing.  I'm not ready yet to say that Zac Taylor & Co. know less than I do about the players on the roster, but I concede that we don't really know much about Dolegala and his development in the past 12 calendar months.

We haven't seen much of Dolegala, sure.  He may not amount to anything.  Everything we've seen though has been really good.  And the few practices reps he's getting are good too, from what i've been reading/listening to.

But i think we can be pretty certain that Finley does not belong in this league.  From the games we've seen, and what the beat writers have said about him in practices last year, and this year, he's awful.  He's not getting appreciably better, and has the one thing going against him that can really doom a QB if they don't have elite intangibles (a noodle arm).

I cannot fathom why Dolegala or Allen are not seeing reps as the #2.  But it seems the staff isn't even considering it.  They're going to roll into game #1 without giving either a look, while meanwhile Finley bumbles his way through camp.

 

Personally think it should be Dolegala/Finley/Allen.  But i'd just love for him to get a shot at all.  I kind of suspect that the staff has their blinders on because Finley was a 4th round pick that they traded up for.  The 'ol sunk cost fallacy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing about the backup QBs is that they both looked good in the preseason last August.  We saw what happened to Finley in the three games he started, but we have no idea about Jake in games.  The unknown can be tantalizing, especially to fans.  But I do know that Finley was marginally successful in the ACC, so that trumps anything Jake every did at Central Connecticut State, or whatever directional school he played at.  

 

As for Allen, I got nothing.  Seems like a guy to stash in hiding in case COVID hits the others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, west tx bengal fan said:

Looking at the rest of the league, I think, gives you some perspective about your own team.  Most would consider the Bengals as one of about 12 teams (the other 11 I listed above) that would be a surprise to make the tournament.  We see it differently, of course, because the Bengals are our team.  And Joe Burrow is our hope... kinda the Luke Skywalker of the current age.

At this point, and I haven't really been keeping up with the rest of the league (school is absolutely crazy), I want to say....

AFCE  It's all New England until it's not, and I think the time its not is upon us.  No good QB, and a bunch of starting defenders opted out, so I'm thinking 8-8.  They do play the Dolphins and Jets twice, so there's ha;f of the  wins.  The better teams have to be licking their chops at retribution.  I think Buffalo eaks it out.... at 9-7.  They seem too inconsistent.  But having gotten Diggs in a trade, maybe they exceed that record.  The Jets and the Dolphins are still the Jets and Dolphins.  Jets get in the 6-7 win range, while the Dolphins finish just below them.  

In our division, how can you not go with the ravens?  They have a dynamite secondary and running game.  I just can't see them faltering enough to blow it.  Pitt's fate  rests on the arm, elbow and shoulder of ben.  If he's on, they challenge the Ravens until the end.  If he's the broken has been I've waited for for over a half decade, they still have enough on defense to stay in the wild card hunt, and comfortably out of the Lawrence sweepstakes, thank goodness.  The Browns look great on paper, and will start off playing well.  It just seems that it takes some small obstacle to bring the whole season crashing down.  Can they stay focused and grind through it?  Recent history says no.  As much as I want us t be in the playoffs, I'm equally fine with losing a lot of close games (but staying competitive) and being in position to grab an elite OT in the next draft.  We probably finish with at least 6 wins at worst, so we shall see.

AFCS   I want the Colts to do well, so that people around me are ,more pleasant on  Mondays.  sadly, i don't believe Rivers has much in the tank, so it would be such a Colts thing to do to throw the season and land the next generational guy at QB.  I mean, they got the last two (Luck and Manning).  Maybe they shock us all, but I see Tennessee staying in the race.  I think the Texans lost their soul trading off Hopkins, though Watson will keep them in it.  Jax will be tanking for Lawrence.  I think the winner is at the 10 or 11 win mark, but they might not have a WC contender.

AFC West.  This is easy.  KC around 13-3.  Denver grabs a WC.  Oakland finishes around .500.  The Chargers will suck, with either Herbert or Taylor at QB.  It's just a repetitive thing for them.

 

NFCE  Dallas and Philly in the playoffs.  Washington and the Giants in contention for top 5 picks.  Can a team possibly have an uglier offseason than the football team in Washington had?  Then throw in the COVID stuff.  

NFCN  Green Bay will regress record wise, but still win the division.  Zimmer, ever the Marvin disciple, will lose in the wild card round of the playoffs.  The Bears still have Trubisky... enough said, even with adding Foles.  The Lions are, well, the Lions.  They might jump the Bears, and I would love to see them eek out a WC berth.

The NFCS will be a blood bath.  Brady with those receivers looks great, but his arm didn't look the same last year.  I think they are overhyped.  The saints arte the team to beat, and the Falcons should contend.  Carolina has pieces, but not nearly enough to hang with the rest.  Ironically, they are so evenly matched that I don't see a WC coming from this division.  They will all knock each other around record wise, and be somewhere around 10-6.  That might not get a WC if the second place teams in the NFCE and NFCN also feast on the bottom feeders.

 

The same thing could happen in the west, especially if the Rams rebound.  If they do, Seattle, the Rams and $49ers could all be in the 10-12 win range.  Arizona is no pushover and will be near .500 as well.  The team that loses two to the cardinals can kiss the playoffs adios.

AFC

1.  KC

2.  Baltimore

3.  Buffalo

4.  Tennessee

5.  Indy

6.  Denver

7.  Pitt

 

KC repeats in the AFC

NFC

1.  GB  2.  Seattle.  3. Dallas/Philly  4.  New Orleans  5.  Philly/Dallas  6.  Rams or 49ers  7.  Tampa, but I really hope it's the Falcons or Vikings

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...