Early Game: Dolphins vs Saints Gamethread

GOGRIESE

3 minutes ago, Fixxxer said:

oh no you didn't :D      Loved Alonso in his rookie year with us. He's a good player for the right system (wide 9 perhaps)

I noticed very poor tackling from that defense today. 

Regarding Moore, no doubt, Cutler has been robbing teams blind with his big arm and the potential to some day get it togheter, that ain't happening. 

I think Alonso is living off that pick 6 on Rivers. He whiffs on too many tackles and doesn't really make any plays. A lot of his tackles last year were because the run defense was so bad. LBs are going to get a lot of tackles if the run defense is getting penetrated. 

I know they won't bench Cutler right now, but if this continues it wouldn't surprise me. Not that it matters. I don't expect either QB to save the season. It sadly went down with Tanny potentially. Now they go into next year with a 30 year old QB with a knee injury, Cutler, and an old back up. Going to be interesting to see what they do at QB next year. 

Throwing a whole bunch of screens up 13 with 4 minutes to go is part of the reason people call Brees a stat-padder. He's going to end this game with 70% completion and over 250 yards and 2 TDs, but has he made any plays at all?

If that Wake sack had been a strip-sack, returned for TD, it would be a good demonstration of why NO's problems aren't ALL defense - Payton doesn't call the offense to help his defense out.

You're up 13 with 3 minutes to go, there's no reason not to just run the ball. That TD drive could have easily been a turnover that got the Dolphins back in the game, and if they'd blown the lead and lost 14-13, the storyline would be that NO's defense collapsed.

Just now, ChazStandard said:

Throwing a whole bunch of screens up 13 with 4 minutes to go is part of the reason people call Brees a stat-padder. He's going to end this game with 70% completion and over 250 yards and 2 TDs, but has he made any plays at all?

If that Wake sack had been a strip-sack, returned for TD, it would be a good demonstration of why NO's problems aren't ALL defense - Payton doesn't call the offense to help his defense out.

You're up 13 with 3 minutes to go, there's no reason not to just run the ball. That TD drive could have easily been a turnover that got the Dolphins back in the game, and if they'd blown the lead and lost 14-13, the storyline would be that NO's defense collapsed.

Saints throw a whole bunch of screens all the time, and most of them are garbage and don't contribute to anyone's stats.  It's part of the reason people want Payton fired, because garbage playcalling.

1 minute ago, ChazStandard said:

You're up 13 with 3 minutes to go, there's no reason not to just run the ball.

You've seen this running game??? That wouldn't have gone as smoothly as those screens.

Just now, NS922 said:

You've seen this running game??? That wouldn't have gone as smoothly as those screens.

They're averaging 4+ yards per run today, but that's beside the point since it would be an exercise in running the clock out.

1 minute ago, Jlowe22 said:

Saints throw a whole bunch of screens all the time, and most of them are garbage and don't contribute to anyone's stats.  It's part of the reason people want Payton fired, because garbage playcalling.

Those last two words were more my point.

4 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

Miami's defense has never been able to stop screens so I understand it. 

Just now, ChazStandard said:

They're averaging 4+ yards per run today, but that's beside the point since it would be an exercise in running the clock out.

Those last two words were more my point.

Sounds to me like your point was more a shot at Brees, who hasn't been great today, but he's done enough to win the game.  

Archived